Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 04:49 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Douglas_of_Sweden's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by douglas_of_sweden Quote
...and you likely loose auto exposure and auto focus.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Why lose AF and auto exposure with a new type of adapter? Some use M42 lenses on Digital cameras, and they lose AF and auto exposure...
QuoteOriginally posted by douglas_of_sweden Quote
You don't "lose" AF and auto exposure on lenses that never had this.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
You write in post 5:
".....and you likely loose auto exposure and auto focus"
I canīt lose something that never had been in a lens.
And no, i should never ever buy F, FA or DA lenses for a NX, do you think that i have only M42 lenses to my K10D???
Who are you talking with?

You wrote "Some use M42 lenses on Digital cameras, and they lose AF and auto exposure", and my point was precisely that you cannot lose that from lenses that never had it, and then you reply the same? But I might have missunderstood your original post since it was not made very clear.

And I don't think anything about what lenses you have, I just responded to what you wrote.

03-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
Whats the point in tossing away all that compatibility and trying to bring out a new system?
I am also not sure why.
They say it allows to make the camera smaller.
But is this important? Look at the images with the large lenses on the small NX camera. Does this make sense? No.

Samsung was unsuccessful so far with their entry into the DSLR market.
Now they want to try something completely new.
20% market share?
With a new proprietary system?
Good luck ...
03-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I am also not sure why.
They say it allows to make the camera smaller.
But is this important? Look at the images with the large lenses on the small NX camera. Does this make sense? No.

Samsung was unsuccessful so far with their entry into the DSLR market.
Now they want to try something completely new.
20% market share?
With a new proprietary system?
Good luck ...
I think you have misunderstood what Samsung said. They predict this "TYPE" of camera will be 20% of the market. That would include all manufacturers that come out with this type including Panny, Oly, Samsung, and anybody else that decides to get into this category. IMO that seems low. Even though I'm ready to buy a K30D as you have outlined in another thread, I'm also willing to buy a camera from this group if it has the right feature set.
03-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 290
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Who are you talking with?

You wrote "Some use M42 lenses on Digital cameras, and they lose AF and auto exposure", and my point was precisely that you cannot lose that from lenses that never had it, and then you reply the same? But I might have missunderstood your original post since it was not made very clear.

And I don't think anything about what lenses you have, I just responded to what you wrote.
I try talk to you.
I answered this in post 5:
"-And if you now begin to think about adapters of some sort...yes such could be made, but they will add the missing ~15mm distance and then the camera will not be that thin any longer (which sort of kille the whole point), and you likely loose auto exposure and auto focus."

>Here you speak to/answers "redpigeons" then he wonder if he can use his DA lenses on Samsung NX, and you say that itīs no point for him to buy the camera because he miss the 15mm and donīt get "auto exposure and auto focus" with his lenses.

Now we most guess a little, he can have K10D and 2-3 DA lenses and then buy Samsung NX with kit lens and a adapter.
It has been extension Tubes for Pentax since many years that has electric info from the lens to camera or opposite so you get auto exposure and auto focus. So thy canīt a adapter(with a chip for translate) for K lenses to Samsung NX have it?

He can use his NX with the kit lens and in future more Samsung lenses then he is travelling or only need light pack. But then he is home or out and take photos in a forest or... Then this 15mm donīt have any signification. So with the NX and adapter he can use DA lenses as well as NX lenses.

And then i compare with some Pentax users that use KxxD and M42 lenses, they donīt have autofocus and auto exposure, and that is like going back allot in time. But the man we talk about only miss 15mm in size then he want it.

That is a big difference, is it so hard to understand?

03-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I think you have misunderstood what Samsung said. They predict this "TYPE" of camera will be 20% of the market. That would include all manufacturers that come out with this type including Panny, Oly, Samsung, and anybody else that decides to get into this category.
Why do you think they will jump on this waggon, too?
They have their own 4/3 and ĩ4/3 mount already.
03-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 290
Originally Posted by Usuqa View Post

Whats the point in tossing away all that compatibility and trying to bring out a new system?

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I am also not sure why.
They say it allows to make the camera smaller.
But is this important? Look at the images with the large lenses on the small NX camera. Does this make sense? No. .....................
We donīt now about compatibility get.

The camera get smaller, are silent and in future we have a camera with many possibilityīs, you can zoom in the viewfinder or take away the viewfinder and shot wireless and so on...

In future, in 5 or 10 years they stop doing the hopeless old DSLRs, like the old SLR, and made only DSLE(E=electronic).

And Panasonic and Samsung was first in DSLE and the rest, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony and Olympus most get rid of everything and start from zero...
03-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
In future, in 5 or 10 years they stop doing the hopeless old DSLRs, like the old SLR, and made only DSLE(E=electronic).
You got a point there.
Let's wait and see ...
03-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #23
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Why do you think they will jump on this waggon, too?
They have their own 4/3 and ĩ4/3 mount already.
EVIL segment in general, rather than sensor size. Seems wise that rather than to pit APS-C and 4/3 against FF in the 35mm DSLR segment that they make use of the smaller sensor size to its advantage with compact bodies and lenses in a new segment which shows promise. Samsung, with their larger sensor, seems to have seperated themselves even from Oly and Panasonic though, which I personally think is smart but risky. They are the 'FF' (so to speak) of EVIL, but won't be sharing existing APS-C or 4/3 consortium glass. Thus I think NX probably has a long ways to go before its a viable solution, but its certainly representative of the smaller form factor, changeable lens segment that could capture a lot of market share in the future.

03-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
Samsung is reacting to panasonic sprint off the starting line

Panasonic is popular with numerous brand owners due to its EXTREME Adaptability. Using Misfit Mount lenses is a BIG Plus. G1 is the current rage on adapting glass forums. Even Panasonic is getting on the adapter supplying bandwagon. First it was the 4/3 to micro 4/3 mount and now at PMA Las Vegas 2009 Two Leica Mounts !

If Samsung goes the Our Glass Only for NX route, they are doomed to failure. Hopefully they learn how popular adapting old mounts is and will then happily supply competetion for this new kinda digital~back market that panasonic has tapped into. Then again a BIG negative for current Pentax lenses is the deletion of aperture selector ring at lensmounts. You'd need an electrical connection for most of the current Pentax glass to use on a digital back system to allow for aperture control. I can see why this would be a reason for Samsung to go it alone and free themselves from K Mount legacy/compatibility. But this could alienate them from numerous owners of old misfit mount lenses which most all have aperture control rings.

Here's the new panasonic Leica to G1 adapters link:

Have you seen this?: Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I'll likely get me a G1 or the new G1 HD version also just announced at PMA to shoot with some digital with some old misfit mount lenses I still own. And who said no new dsl -(r) cameras launched at PMA this year? Don't overlook the EVF HD G1 as a significant dslr did get announced at PMA:

HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs - FM Forums

& their booth at PMA:

Panasonic: PMA 2009 Show Report: Digital Photography Review



Good Old Fashioned Cutaway Camera & Lens:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/pma2009/Panasonic/zP3030544.jpg


QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
EVIL segment in general, rather than sensor size. Seems wise that rather than to pit APS-C and 4/3 against FF in the 35mm DSLR segment that they make use of the smaller sensor size to its advantage with compact bodies and lenses in a new segment which shows promise. Samsung, with their larger sensor, seems to have seperated themselves even from Oly and Panasonic though, which I personally think is smart but risky. They are the 'FF' (so to speak) of EVIL, but won't be sharing existing APS-C or 4/3 consortium glass. Thus I think NX probably has a long ways to go before its a viable solution, but its certainly representative of the smaller form factor, changeable lens segment that could capture a lot of market share in the future.

Last edited by Samsungian; 03-05-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added cutaway G1 and lens link
03-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
There is obviously no way that the NX is a K-mount camera
Why do people believe this?
It can be a K mount (current lenses won't focus to infinity of course). The K mount is free to use. The modern coupling (KAF, whatever ) is still protected. All Samsung has to do is rework the modern communications, which are in a bit of need of reworking anyways).
This is a great time for Pentax to evolve without looking like the bad guy...
Also a KA mount adapter (plus or minus some functions) to mount to the KS (K/Samsung, to borrow terminology from the old Ricoh mount) mount on the camera.....
03-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borås, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,165
What would be the point in having a "K mount" when the K-mount lenses won't work on it?
03-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
If Samsung goes the Our Glass Only for NX route, they are doomed to failure. Hopefully they learn how popular adapting old mounts is and will then happily supply competetion for this new kinda digital~back market that panasonic has tapped into. Then again a BIG negative for current Pentax lenses is the deletion of aperture selector ring at lensmounts. You'd need an electrical connection for most of the current Pentax glass to use on a digital back system to allow for aperture control. I can see why this would be a reason for Samsung to go it alone and free themselves from K Mount legacy/compatibility. But this could alienate them from numerous owners of old misfit mount lenses which most all have aperture control rings.
This would make sense for Samsung developing its own lens line, but as you said Samsung is following Panasonic's lead here and Panasonic had a lens maker as a partner to get its camera started. I think Samsung needs a partner as well, and despite the difficulties that may arise, I don't see a more logical partner for them than Pentax. After all, it was the Samsung rep, not I, who referred to Pentax as a "partner" in that article.

In any case, as I said in another thread, judging by this article and other indicators it seems definite that the two companies will still be sharing technology for their upcoming releases later this year. To what degree is the question that still remains up in the air.

As to the poster's original question, it seems less and less likely that Pentax will be coming out with a FF camera this year, and maybe not in 2010. If you had to guess right now, what would you choose between:

1. Pentax is hard at work making lenses for Samsung's new camera or its own version of it.

2. Pentax is making a new line of full frame lenses for an upcoming DSLR.

3. Neither. Pentax will continue development on lenses for its upcoming APS-C and MF cameras this summer.

I don't know about you, but I think 1 and 3 seem much more likely.
03-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
What would be the point in having a "K mount" when the K-mount lenses won't work on it?
You need some kind of a mount. Why re-invent the wheel. K mount is FREE. All you need to do is throw in proprietary communications and you have a K/S mount...
Structurally stable, time tested, and as universal as a speed mount can get...
If you can tell me what physical property needs to be changed to make it better I'm listening. Coupling and electronics, again, are a different story.
The registration distance can be worked around. Throat not too big or to small for APS sensor. ect...
Why NOT use it???
Not to mention if Pentax OEM's lenses it makes them just soo much cheaper to produce.... HOYA loves OEM. Lower risk..
Actually for the first time since the merger I actually (must be hallucinating) see a plan emerging.
Cameras that used the K mount:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ultimate_k-mount.htm

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-05-2009 at 01:26 PM.
03-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #29
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,464
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
What would be the point in having a "K mount" when the K-mount lenses won't work on it?
I don't see a problem with doing like Olympus/Lumix and making an EVF camera with its own mount, made to be easily-adapted to K mount. All the adapter would have to do is carry the same kind of signals in order to have aperture and any AF control and such. In some regards, sticking an adapter on defeats the purpose of not- just making a small DSLR, but you do get the flexibility, a means to transition, if that's your intention, and the ability to just bring a couple smaller made-for-EVF lenses when you want the smallness.

As much as I kind of like a lot of Lumix products, the fact is that the 4/3rds crop factor makes it rather less useful to be able to put a bunch of old glass on there, anyway, ...APS-C still gives you some reasonably useful non-tele you can do. And there's no reason they would have to make the smaller mount non-adaptable to K's. You'd only need to carry one.

I also don't understand what would put Samsung DSLR users out if they had to make their next DSLR a Pentax: the Samsungs are all the same cameras, anyway, and I think the only accessories that aren't compatible are the grips, which aren't guaranteed to carry over between models in the first place.
03-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borås, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,165
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I don't see a problem with doing like Olympus/Lumix and making an EVF camera with its own mount, made to be easily-adapted to K mount. All the adapter would have to do is carry the same kind of signals in order to have aperture and any AF control and such.
Now THAT makes better sense. The reason I don't see them using K mount is that they'd be designing the hardware/body around a mount for no particular reason other than it being "free". There's nothing to gain at all since none of the K mount lenses would work (because of the registration distance) without an adapter. If they are going with a new mount then they are free to size it according to the registration distance/sensor and very well might be able to cut down its size significantly; remember that the current K mount was designed for full frame glass and I bet you could cut down on its size a good bit.

So yes, a new mount that lets you adapt K mount while retaining AF/aperture data would be a great move.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, ff, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photography, reviews, samsung, talk
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full frame? NecroticSoldier Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 03-10-2010 09:37 PM
Full Frame chilihead Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 22 12-12-2009 08:01 AM
Your Full Frame is Here!!! Das Boot Pentax News and Rumors 15 04-05-2009 09:02 AM
Full Frame Full Frame vanchaz2002 Pentax DSLR Discussion 30 12-11-2008 07:09 AM
DA 10-17 on full frame? nixcamic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-23-2008 07:12 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top