Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, Bob, perhaps it is that your English is a little bit odd. You sort of stop sentences before they are finnished etc. So I might be missunderstanding you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I try talk to you.
I answered this in post 5:
"-And if you now begin to think about adapters of some sort...yes such could be made, but they will add the missing ~15mm distance and then the camera will not be that thin any longer (which sort of kille the whole point), and you likely loose auto exposure and auto focus."

>Here you speak to/answers "redpigeons" then he wonder if he can use his DA lenses on Samsung NX, and you say that itīs no point for him to buy the camera because he miss the 15mm and donīt get "auto exposure and auto focus" with his lenses.
I don't realy say that he should not buy the NX, but I'm pointing to the obvious complications if you expect to use DA lenses with full functionality on the NX. He asked, I answered. He cannot use these lenses unless someone makes an adepter with DA K mount in one end and whatever-mount Samsung will use in the other end. And if someone produce this adapter, if you compare with what is available to adapt different lenses to 4/3rd cameras or to Canon for example, there is usually loss of autofocus and/or exposure functions.

Now we most guess a little, he can have K10D and 2-3 DA lenses and then buy Samsung NX with kit lens and a adapter.
It has been extension Tubes for Pentax since many years that has electric info from the lens to camera or opposite so you get auto exposure and auto focus. So thy canīt a adapter(with a chip for translate) for K lenses to Samsung NX have it?
Sure he can. But the existance of KA or KAF extension tubes really doesn't help you very much here. Such tubes only have to manage to transfer signals between Pentax lenses and Pentax bodies that use the same communication protocol (mainly through the 7th contact, the other six from the old KA mount only give min and max apperture). But to make an adapter for the NX that work with DA/FA/F/A lenses, you need to connect to whatever electronic contacts the NX have, and you need to know that communication protocol that Samsung use. You may even have a mount patent against you unless Samsung is willing to cooperate (and why should they help you use lenses they don't earn a cent on instead of selling their own lenses). More so, you don't know how the mechanical apperture level transfer work on the NX (if it even have one). It may not be a very easy construction to transfer from the Pentax mount level. More so, to engage the screw drive autofocus you need a mechanical transfer for this, does NX even have one or will it only have SDM/HSM (or its equivalent) lenses? More so, if you want to engage the SDM autofocus you need a power source of the right voltage and ampere to transfer to the SDM contacts on the Pentax lens. So this is not trivial problems. If neither Samsung want people to buy Pentax lenses instead of their own or Pentax want people to buy other bodies than their own you will have to wait for some third party manufacturer to solve this problem for a small niche market of entusiasts that want to mount DA lenses on the NX. Considering that their is currently hardly even any third party manufacturer that consider it worth making KA or KAF extension tubes or converters, do you think they are going to hurry to this small market? Not enough customers and profit. And you will likely have to wait until Samsungs patens on their unknown mount is ended. Not to get too dissapointed I think it is best to limit your hopes to a purely mechanical all manual adapter.

He can use his NX with the kit lens and in future more Samsung lenses then he is travelling or only need light pack. But then he is home or out and take photos in a forest or... Then this 15mm donīt have any signification. So with the NX and adapter he can use DA lenses as well as NX lenses. And then i compare with some Pentax users that use KxxD and M42 lenses, they donīt have autofocus and auto exposure, and that is like going back allot in time. But the man we talk about only miss 15mm in size then he want it.

That is a big difference, is it so hard to understand?
Sure, if someone make the adapter he can. But don't sell the skin until you shot the bear. Someone has to make it first, and until we don't even know the NX mount this is all very hypothetical.

You have to understand this that relatively many Pentax enthusiasts (and dito Nikon, Canon, Sony, 4/rd users) buy old m42 lenses and put them on quite simple adapters because both adapters and lenses are inexpensive and this is fun, especially if you care to learn what m42 lenses that are gems. Some combinations gives focus confirmation, but I think that is all. But no one care since these are lenses from an era when you mainly shot all manual anyway and it is a relatively inexpansive game.
It was you, not me, who compared putting a DA lens on un nonexisting adapter on a unknown mount on a "behind-glass-camera" with putting m42 lenses on DSLRs. I have no problem understanding the difference, but do you? Do you really believe that people will buy DA lenses to put on the NX when an adapter will delete much of the compact advantage (at least in one dimension) of the NX and the nice modern little DA lenses with autofocus and contacts for auto exposure probably don't connect to anything on the NX? The DA lenses are not that inexpensive.

If you go back this thread and review redpigeons post you will even see that he/she has now edited his post stating that he is just as confused on what lenses to buy. But before that he jumped to conclusion:

"so I am exited about it... we can buy DA lenses and in a year or so enjoy this camera. that will be small, with a better sensor then the K20D, with a great live view and HD video? this camera can give a great fight to Panasonic and Olympus. I am exited about this camera even better then FF... instead of FF lenses they should work on FPS and AF"

which is like not only assuming that the DA lenses will mount and work in the NX, but also suggesting that now Pentax (Samsung?) can stop developing full frame cameras (if they ever have) and make more DA lenses because people will be so happy to mount them on the NX...

Come on now, this is fantasies. No camera company will be able to base their future on such grounds. For Pentax to be able to sell a profitable amount of DA lenses for NX users they will have to be reworked for the NX mount, electronics/communication, and registration distance. The later takes some changes in the optical solution, how much I cannot judge. But it will not be done without efforts and a considerable cost. Why would they do that and risk that people buy the NX to use DA ltds (one of Pentax real advantages over all the competing DSLR companies) instead of buying Pentax bodies. Samsung would have to pay Pentax a lot on that, like letting Pentax in on a full frame sensor...

In any case, when (if) Samsung takes the NX out from the glass monters and let us know what lenses they will have (and who makes them) with what mount, this discussion will probably be meaningless.

Final message is still: Do not expect to directly mount your DA lenses on the NX. There may be adapters, but most likely with limited functionality, and probably not at once. Do not jump to conclusions until we have more info.

It would be really cool if Pentax redesigned the DA ltds for the NX (including changing the optics to get a shorter registration distance), but redpigeon and others would still not be able to easilly mount their DA lenses with K mount and K mount registration distance. If Pentax does this I hope they sell this service very expensively to Samsung. But Samsung have already stated they don't let Pentax in on the NX technology, so why should Pentax make DA's available for the NX?

03-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #32
Veteran Member

IMO...I wouldn't read too much into this poorly written article.

Jason
03-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I think Why lose AF and auto exposure with a new type of adapter?
The new NX will certainly only use in-lens motors, so no support for the screwdriven autofocus that most K-mount AF lenses has.
03-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Yes, autofocus

Iīt canīt be so difficult to put in a focusmotor in a adapter for K-mount lenses. If itīs truth that NX can use a adapter for K lenses, and it can be 20-30% of NX buyers that already have Pentax lenses. Then perhaps 90% of this people have autofocus lenses(DA, F, FA), so i see a point of having a autofocus motor in the adapter.

03-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Nope AF screw drive is not likely in this adapter...

Pentax has never offered a screw drive to screw drive teleconverter. No, the 1.7x manual focus lens to autofocus function does not count. It has a shaft input and that drives the lense elements package in the TC, theres no output screwdrive shaft.

Theres obviously a design issue with a shaft driven coupler. SDM, I'd say thats doable thru the 2 electric SDM connections, but not with F Series and FA series and DA series lenses. I'd guess AF function thru a K-FA to samsung's m4/3 mount adapter is not possible.

Iīt canīt be so difficult to put in a focusmotor in a adapter for K-mount lenses. If itīs truth that NX can use a adapter for K lenses, and it can be 20-30% of NX buyers that already have Pentax lenses. Then perhaps 90% of this people have autofocus lenses(DA, F, FA), so i see a point of having a autofocus motor in the adapter.
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Pentax has never offered a screw drive to screw drive teleconverter. No, the 1.7x manual focus lens to autofocus function does not count. It has a shaft input and that drives the lense elements package in the TC, theres no output screwdrive shaft.
HTML Code:
[B]Truth,[/B] but Sigma have a AF teleconverter.
Theres obviously a design issue with a shaft driven coupler. SDM, I'd say thats doable thru the 2 electric SDM connections, but not with F Series and FA series and DA series lenses. I'd guess AF function thru a K-FA to samsung's m4/3 mount adapter is not possible.
Why, do AF work with the AF-motor inside K-series camera(and older cameras too), but not with a AF-motor inside a converter???