Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung and pentax in talks for new DSLR

LINK to very well known magazine in UK.

As a side note they hold a yearly photo equipment comparison and the Pentax DA* 16-50mm f2.8 won Zoom of the year 2009 beating every other lens.

03-05-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, what it says is that Samsung can't decide what to do.
They tried DSLR, but were not successful.
They are unsure if they should try another Pentax rip-off.
They are unable to do an DSLR on their own.
Now they try a new format, NX.
I predict a failure, too. Proprietary lens mount ...

But time will tell ...
03-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks a lot for the link, and scan.

Samsung is doing really well in the P&S segment, where they picked up a lot of market share. Now they are moving into upper-level, with advanced digicam. And they've even mentioned that in time, to make a FF sensor.

Other rumors mention summer/fall, for the next combined DSLR to be brought forth. So sounds reasonable.
03-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Anyone know how well the GX10/GX20 sold outside the US?
They had nothing really unique over the Pentax K10D/K20D so I'm not surprised they didn't do that well...

03-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, what it says is that Samsung can't decide what to do.
They are unable to do an DSLR on their own.

But time will tell ...
You forgot to mention the 815, a rip off of the Sony R1 and a total failure. Conceptually the NX hits what could be a big market. Making a new proprietary lens is not that big a deal if you are committed but their history doesn't indicate they are.
I'm hopeful the NX type camera gets a foothold in the market but it looks like we have at least a year before we see something worth buying. Unless the K30D meets some of my needs/wants I won't be buying a new body in the foreseeable future.
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #6

What's that sensor in the K20D?
03-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

'We have no plans at the moment to extend [the NX technology] to digital SLRs,' said the spokesman.

Translated, it means that they're currently not letting Pentax in on the NX.

03-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Have they even said what that new lens mount is going to be yet? Last I read they said anything could change.

But hell, outside of the 4/3's mount what lens mount isn't proprietary these days? Pentax & Samsung are the only companies currently using the K-Mount (and I'm not sure if Samsung really counts), Nikon & Fuji are the only companies using the Nikon F-mount (and again I don't know if Fuji really counts there). Canon and Sony are both doing their own things.

Besides, it sounds like Samsung is open to just about anything with this new system. Who knows, Pentax could still team up with them to take on m4/3's.

Good for Pentax on the 16-50mm though. That lens really is a bargain compared to Canikon's equivalents,
03-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
They had nothing really unique over the Pentax K10D/K20D so I'm not surprised they didn't do that well...
Worldwide stats that might not mean anything -- flickr keeps stats of how many people use different cameras. GX-20 had 6 users yesterday, K20D had 206. GX-20 has 18,312 pictures uploaded, K20D has 528,068. So that's a bit of a difference The GX-10 is a more popular camera but has less than a tenth of K10D usage as well.
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
m8o
Veteran Member

Pentax has been making lenses for other major names for a while. I don't know how long it goes back but I bought my Casio P&S early this decade in part because it had a Pentax lens built into it (but the Casio had features the Pentax P&S didn't have).

I would be very happy if Samsung can pull Pentax along into the micro-4/3 format and have them start making lenses for the mount. [!] I've been educated about the compromises of the sensor/mirror box in the digital age from folk who are students of camera tech on this forum and something not having the comprimises makes sense. Being able to use a wide angle lens but a the same time to be able to zoom in with a digital viewfinder as if I was using a super telephoto to manually microfocus my subject would be incredible. ...tho I guess I wouldn't be using a KatzEye screen in that case.
03-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
'We have no plans at the moment to extend [the NX technology] to digital SLRs,' said the spokesman.

Translated, it means that they're currently not letting Pentax in on the NX.
I think you took this quote out of context. Add the quote below that precedes it:

"Samsung also stated that it does not plan to use technology from its NX 'hybrid' camera to make its own DSLRs, independently of Pentax."

i.e. they aren't going to be competing directly with Pentax in the DSLR market with this new technology.

Now I am no expert on the camera industry, but it seems to me from this interview that what Samsung and Pentax are doing is sharing some technology between the NX and Pentax's new DSLR. This is why Samsung needs to wait to see what Pentax's plans are, because they want to come out with a release plan that won't steal each other's thunder this summer.

It also makes sense to me that this would also mean that Pentax is helping Samsung make lenses for the MX, or at the very least there is shared sensor technology between the two cameras. Why else would this partnership matter to the release of the NX? And if you're Samsung and you happen to have a partnership with a company that specializes in building lenses (not your specialty) why would you go to any other company to build lenses for the MX?

You can even call them Schneider lenses if you like.

Anyway, this is heavy speculation on my part. What seems true from the article is that the relationship between Pentax and Samsung remains strong, and I think that is good news for the survival of both companies.
03-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I sure as hell would've gotten a Samsung if only they marketed those in my country. Basically the same Pentax DSLR, only at a cheaper price? I'm there.
03-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The GX20 never sold that well and my guess is marketing and price. Fort some reason, Samsung sells basically a K20D for a higher price (stupid). Last I checked, (today), it was selling for $250 more than the K20D.

Amazon.com: Samsung GX-20 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens: Camera & Photo

Jason
03-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Anyway, this is heavy speculation on my part. What seems true from the article is that the relationship between Pentax and Samsung remains strong, and I think that is good news for the survival of both companies.
I agree with you.

I don't doubt that there are cultural differences between the two countries, and that there are differences between the two organizations. But when it comes right down to it, there are substantial business reasons to continue working with each other. Pentax needs the Samsung sensors and Samsung needs the Pentax dslr/lens expertise. Even in the present lean circumstances, Pentax came out with the digital MF dslr and Samsung came out the NX concept and system. Clearly they have to differentiate their products, but that doesnt eliminate benefits from cooperation.

Phil
03-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
What's that sensor in the K20D?
Not full frame. And if they did bring out a full frame compatible with all the pentax lenses that you have, those lenses would only be using a fraction of the sensor in a full frame camera. Well thats the story according to Nikons D700 and Nikon lens. Which to me makes it rather senseless having a full frame camera, as your starting all over again to collect the full frame lens selection or only getting the quality you'd get from a d300 sensor wise or any other full frame camera. That is unless you don't mind just continuing with the older lenses.