Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
State of the art semiconductor chips (CPUs from Intel, for example) are made on 300mm wafers. I imagine that sensors may not be made on the largest wafers possible for cost reasons.
But bigger wafers means more working sensors per wafer so it is very difficult to judge which solution is best (300mm wafers are more expensive of course).

03-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But bigger wafers means more working sensors per wafer so it is very difficult to judge which solution is best (300mm wafers are more expensive of course).
Absolutely. There is a trade-off between wafer cost, chip size, and yield.
03-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adnan EROL Quote
well, if Pentax can produce 200 MF cameras,
then should produce 200 FF cameras too.
200 FF cameras from Pentax. Yep. It's doable.
Given the R&D involved, it would cost about the same as the 645D. Count me out, even if I had the money

Ah, you're also starting with a false statement: Pentax won't produce only 200MF cameras. In fact, that number was marked with a "we won't even bother" by Pentax officials.
But pingflood already told you that.

Now, seriously, IMO the only thing the people who want a Pentax FF camera and would buy it can really do (in a constructive manner) is to let Pentax know what kind of camera they would buy, and for what price.
But if that price is well under 2000 euro/$, don't even bother
03-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FF Pentax won't be able to do SR with FA because of image circle

Forget about FF Pentax for now.

Pentax has found SR is the feature they have to keep. Neither FA nor DA can produce image circles large enough for SR to function correctly in a FF Pentax. (The Photokina 2008 Interview disclosed this).

And if you can't use your existing FA (or even K, M, A) lenses on it, do you still want FF?

Or maybe I should ask this: do you think there will be a lot of sales if Pentax bring up a FF DSLR with a new (but more expensive than DA) lens line?

03-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

well, if Pentax can produce 200 MF cameras,
then should produce 200 FF cameras too.

At least 200 potential buyers are ready at the following link.
No need to sell anywhere, we just pay via PayPal (or online Credit Card) and it will arrive within 3-5 days by Express Mail Service (EMS) - Japan Post.

Of course price should be about what CANikon counterparts cost. Neither much more, nor relatively less.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/43883-full-frame-k20d-...ow-yes-no.html
you again,

stop making these silly threads, please.
03-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
you again,

stop making these silly threads, please.
Dear Gooshin,
Day by day, I learn more and more... I'm sure, one day, I'll find out what is not "silly" like you already do... and then I can stop it.
Give me a little bit extra time, please.

Last edited by Adnan EROL; 03-06-2009 at 04:37 PM.
03-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The MF run isn't for 200 cameras. They stated that they didn't want to sell it in the US because the expected sales _here_ would be 200 units. ...
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
200 FF cameras from Pentax. Yep. It's doable.
Given the R&D involved, it would cost about the same as the 645D. Ah, you're also starting with a false statement: Pentax won't produce only 200MF cameras. In fact, that number was marked with a "we won't even bother" by Pentax officials.
You're both right, I had missed the point, about 200 cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
...And if you can't use your existing FA (or even K, M, A) lenses on it, do you still want FF?
If I can't use existing FA, F, K, M, A lenses on it, then no need for digital FF...
I would play with analog FF, till 645D is sold at a reasonable price.:ugh:

Last edited by Adnan EROL; 03-06-2009 at 04:09 PM.
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #23

Original Poster
...Neither FA nor DA can produce image circles large enough for SR to function correctly in a FF Pentax. (The Photokina 2008 Interview disclosed this).
Is this why Sigma has produced K mount DG lenses with image stabilisation?
03-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Forget about FF Pentax for now.

Pentax has found SR is the feature they have to keep. Neither FA nor DA can produce image circles large enough for SR to function correctly in a FF Pentax. (The Photokina 2008 Interview disclosed this).

And if you can't use your existing FA (or even K, M, A) lenses on it, do you still want FF?

Or maybe I should ask this: do you think there will be a lot of sales if Pentax bring up a FF DSLR with a new (but more expensive than DA) lens line?
Are Sony/Minoltas 'FA' (traditional full frames, like the 50/1.4) somehow larger than Pentax? I ask because the A900 has in-body SR and works fine with any lens, just the the k20.

K.
03-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Much as I would love Pentax to bring out a FF camera, I personally would prefer them to concentrate on a new shutter, new and far better AF (like the n***n 51 point please) and superior FPS which would come with a new shutter. Then they can bring out a FF camera.
03-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Dear Gooshin,
Day by day, I learn more and more... I'm sure, one day, I'll find out what is not "silly" like you already do... and then I can stop it.
Give me a little bit extra time, please.
you have to learn the concept of "cost of production" and "research and development" along with targeted demographics and customer base.

if pentax is going to make a FF camera, its going for broke and establish itself as the "pentax pro level camera"

only its current lens strategy and a small market share all point in a different direction.

i'm all for it, but it would be a very risky move, its a money driven world, and some things are just not done out of economic sense.

i will happily tip my hat to all the dreamers if a FF camera comes out this year, but i dont see it.
03-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Are Sony/Minoltas 'FA' (traditional full frames, like the 50/1.4) somehow larger than Pentax? I ask because the A900 has in-body SR and works fine with any lens, just the the k20.

K.
Yeah, an SR which limited to 1 EV max gain. If that's not a marketing thing I do not know what it is...
03-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Is this why Sigma has produced K mount DG lenses with image stabilisation?
That's in-lens stabilisation, it has nothing to do with sensor-SR.
03-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #29

Original Poster
FF Pentax won't be able to do SR with FA because of image circle.
...an SR which limited to 1 EV max gain...

may be, Sigma wants to encourage Pentax to release first version of FF camera with no worry about efficaciousness of sensor-SR, because there is another (plus) choise for that period of time (untill they improve FF SR): lenses with image stabilisation.
03-07-2009, 03:54 AM   #30

may be, Sigma wants to encourage Pentax to release first version of FF camera with no worry about efficaciousness of sensor-SR, because there is another (plus) choise for that period of time (untill they improve FF SR): lenses with image stabilisation.
I have another theory about the OS lenses from Sigma. They could be targeted partly towards the new NX system.