Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Pentax has found SR is the feature they have to keep. Neither FA nor DA can produce image circles large enough for SR to function correctly in a FF Pentax. (The Photokina 2008 Interview disclosed this)"

That is weapons grade bulls*it.....some DA lenses can't cover full frame,that has been established. FA lenses most certainly can cover full frame. and I suspect the image circles on the FA lenses are a tad larger that they are supposed to be so SR would work irrespective of how they went about implementing it. What I want to know is wether they are going to incorporate Body based SR into the 645 MF camera....and if they do. I would also want ot know what the actual dimensions of the 645 cameras sensor is going to be, and if it's full 6X4.5 size I would mortgage my house to own one, I already have some of their best 645 lenses!

03-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #47
Veteran Member

What Jay said, spot on.

Wal'
03-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I think what jay said is spot-on.

At the same time, I *need* (yes, I need it damn it, not just want it) a FF cam to maximize the potential of my tilt-shift lenses, which, if you're not a loaded Canikon user, is limited to 35mm focal length on the wider end (Hartblei, Arax/Photex, etc.). 35mm on an APS-C is not wide. And therefore, I will take jay's advice and buy a Canon FF sometime in the near future.

Lack of built-in OIS (on top of my DA, DA*, F and FA Lim lenses) will prevent me from making it a complete transition, but if Canon happens to include SR into their bodies, perhaps that will be the point at which I do make it permanent. I won't scream for Pentax to make an FF body if it's not viable for them economically. But as a Pentax fan, I would be saddened if I have to switch platforms because of that.

Regarding the DA/DA* lenses issue, there is a simple and fairly effective workaround. Since they are all modern lenses, this hypothetical FF Pentax can automatically go into "cropped mode" when these lenses are attached. That's what an APS-H/C sensor is, anyway.
03-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though a thought occurred to me, I certainly would not mind Pentax using APS-H as a stepping stone leading to full frame. That would give them time to rebuild and improve their FA lens line and extend the family of FA Limiteds.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-20-2009 at 06:51 AM.
03-09-2009, 02:38 AM   #50
Veteran Member

this shows why a p&s camera never can reach the same quality as a DSLR haha
03-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
this shows why a p&s camera never can reach the same quality as a DSLR haha
not true, take a G10, set it to raw, lowest ISO, and shoot in a studio with professional lighting.

you can get some serious results.
03-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
not true, take a G10, set it to raw, lowest ISO, and shoot in a studio with professional lighting.

you can get some serious results.

but you also get some serious DOF.

03-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
but you also get some serious DOF.
right, because a model/product + white back drop really cares about bokeh and specular highlights :ugh:
03-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
right, because a model/product + white back drop really cares about bokeh and specular highlights :ugh:
actually a nice idea is to sell backdrops imitating a particular bokeh... imagine an ad - FA*85/1.4 bokeh backdrop for <whatever the cost is for a piece of material>
03-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #55
Veteran Member

i had my own idea of just taking a peice of cloth and riddling it with holes, then put a light source behind it

but that would be too artsy :|
03-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jay Quote
... not have any glass for it?
There are 3 FA Limiteds in production of which I own two. With all due respect to the common sense in your lengthy post, the above quote is untrue.

More over having all FA Limiteds and DFA 200mm would give me (almost) everything I`d ever need to be honest.

Sorry for repeating stuff over and over again.
03-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
There are 3 FA Limiteds in production of which I own two. With all due respect to the common sense in your lengthy post, the above quote is untrue.

More over having all FA Limiteds and DFA 200mm would give me (almost) everything I`d ever need to be honest.

Sorry for repeating stuff over and over again.

Why does everyone look no further than their own needs? This may be anough for YOU but it would make Pentax a laughing stock in the industry.
03-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well its natural for a man to look after his own needs first isnt it?

Still I can only hope that Pentax ( Hoya ) can give us an FF opportunity at some point and still stay profitable and prosper.
03-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon vs Pentax low light AF performance

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
Much as I would love Pentax to bring out a FF camera, I personally would prefer them to concentrate on a new shutter, new and far better AF (like the n***n 51 point please) and superior FPS which would come with a new shutter. Then they can bring out a FF camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I could care less about a FF Pentax body. People will still bitch about slow AF performance and "doesn't shoot 10 fps" Then they'll keep griping until the next one comes out, and the next one...
You know why we're griping? I tried a D700 at a club the other night for a few shots with an 85 f1.8 on. Pentax has a LONG way to improve it's AF performance - a long way. Whew. They really are several generations behind in this respect.

From DPreview review of the camera:

"Fast and accurate 51 point auto-focus even in low light"

Yup. It certainly is. Smokin fast. And they forgot the silent part. I know Pentax's new stuff is silent focussing as well, but that Nikon never missed in minimal light - you'd need iso 800-1600 at least in that club. K20's in similar light would have been hunting badly. And the D700 had a very fast response time in every parameter I tried. The performance was very impressive - let's hope the next generation Pentax is up to that (or past it!).

Cheers,
Cameron
03-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow!

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That is weapons grade bulls*it.....
Weapons-grade!

Bet you get points for that one...

Cheers,
Cameron