Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

More on new Samsung NX and continuing relationship with Pentax

QuoteQuote:
Park also allowed that the lens mount will be a new format-not the same as the Pentax K-mount used on Samsung-branded DSLRs. And that makes sense, since a Micro Four Thirds competitor would need lenses half the size of conventional glass, which in turn, would require a smaller mount.

Although no one was detailing features officially, a video playing next to the concept cameras showed video capture and wi-fi connectivity in addition to bells-and-whistles photo features.

What this means for Samsung's efforts in the DSLR field isn't clear, either, though Park said Samsung will continue to work with its "partner" (Pentax) in that category. In addition to selling the GX-20, a DSLR that's virtually identical to the Pentax K20D, Samsung manufactures the sensors that are in Pentax DSLRs.

Vague, too, is the timing of the NX introduction. "Second half 2009" was as specific as we could get.
PMA 2009: Samsung's NX Series Camera Is a Game-Changer - - PopPhotoMarch 2009

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere

03-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's becoming increasingly clear that Samsung will leave Pentax out of the NX system. Bad move, IMO. With Sigma as their lens designers, they've negated all the advantages of using an EVIL camera. Sigma's designs are very bulky.

Panasonic have done the right thing in releasing very compact lenses, and they too feature IS and built-in micromotor.
03-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
It's becoming increasingly clear that Samsung will leave Pentax out of the NX system. Bad move, IMO. With Sigma as their lens designers, they've negated all the advantages of using an EVIL camera. Sigma's designs are very bulky.

Panasonic have done the right thing in releasing very compact lenses, and they too feature IS and built-in micromotor.
I still am holding on to the idea that Samsung asked Pentax if they wanted in on the system, but they declined. We'll see when we have more definitive specs on that camera and system.

In any case, I don't think Sigma will have any problem reverse-engineering Panasonic's lens designs to see how they can also make their lenses smaller. That is, if it is Sigma that's doing the lenses for that new system.
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is Sigma confirmed as the lens designer? Even if they are, they make mighty nice glass, and Samsung seems to be offering pancakes, unlike Panasonic. Pentax could still stand to benefit from this possibly, if it falls under their tech/patent sharing agreement, they could get better contrast AF for live view etc.

Edit: In response to vinzer: Sigma are masters of reverse-engineering (at least amongst camera companies) good point.

03-09-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
In any case, I don't think Sigma will have any problem reverse-engineering Panasonic's lens designs to see how they can also make their lenses smaller. That is, if it is Sigma that's doing the lenses for that new system.
Reverse engineering? If that's the case, I suspect it will not be difficult at all, since Sigma is part of the 4/3 conundrum.
03-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Is Sigma confirmed as the lens designer?
No details have been posted as to who are designing the optics. The assumption was based on the aesthetics of the lenses only.
03-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Is Sigma confirmed as the lens designer? Even if they are, they make mighty nice glass, and Samsung seems to be offering pancakes, unlike Panasonic.
Erm, you know there's a 20mm f1.7 pancake coming out for the Panasonic, right? The lens on the NX is speculated to be a 25mm f2.8, in which case I'd really rather have the panasonic...

Reverse engineering? If that's the case, I suspect it will not be difficult at all, since Sigma is part of the 4/3 conundrum.
But not the m4/3 consortium. That's currently a closed deal between Panasonic and Olympus, I believe.

03-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hoya/Pentax has no any relations with Samsung in NX project.
There is official intreview from PMA.
The lenses for Samsung could be made by Sigma.
03-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Hoya/Pentax has no any relations with Samsung in NX project.
There is official intreview from PMA.
The lenses for Samsung could be made by Sigma.
Think you are mis-translating. Even RH just says "Sigma was mentioned" with no real explanation.

Re: Hoya/Pentax - answer to questions about Pentax future: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Clearly, you had misunderstanding for the original japanese sentenses..

The exact meaning is that Hoya/Pentax and Sigam has no any relations with Samsung in NX project and lenses too.

Why did they even mention sigma? Due to rumors"???
03-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Oooh, good point. I'm not sure, though, but I don't think Sigma's playing to the size advantage of 4/3 (Sigma 18-50/2.8 seems to be the same size ). It's more like plastering on a 4/3 mount to a common lens design. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it, just taking a cursory glance over at their 4/3 lens lineup.

In that case, it would definitely be a special order from Samsung if Sigma (assuming they are the ones who'll make the new lenses) got around to designing small lenses specially for Samsung.

But of course, it's all just speculation for now.
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
Forum Member

Sadly that Samsung drops the K-mount on the MX. But, I think it will be the best for that system, because then they can make smaller lenses. The bad is that Samsung is nog an lens maker. The hope is then ofcourse that they "need" then Pentax.

Also some more news about that in dutch and the translation to English.

Last edited by AnoLife; 03-09-2009 at 09:01 AM.
03-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Sorry for diging up an old thread, but thougt it might fit in here best...

Interview AP with Samsung vice president of the camera business

Seems like they definitely claim to make the lenses on their own...
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Didn't they claimed the same for "their" K-mount lenses?
I don't trust what Samsung says, not the tiniest bit.
03-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If the NX comes out with a K mount i WILL buy it.

NX + FA43 =
03-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You wouldn't be able to mount a K-mount lens to one of those without an adapter, anyway: the registration distance isn't near enough. So it hardly matters what mount the body takes.