Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #31
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
He said it'd go on sale this summer...
did he? I thought it was to be announced this summer. I'll have to listen again.

03-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #32
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Instead of thinking about what Nikon and Canon do and expecting Pentax to do the same, think instead of what they DONT do any more and where the gaps are in their ranges. What market are they NOT addressing.
You're much more involved in the industry than many/most of us. Where does your experience and observations tell you the gap(s) are? Their range does seem pretty filled out.
03-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
You're much more involved in the industry than many/most of us. Where does your experience and observations tell you the gap(s) are? Their range does seem pretty filled out.
They already said it....

Smaller than any competition with similar spec (except Oly)
Rugged/outdoors oriented
High level of environmental sealing...

And I would guess, higher build quality and price (likely) because of high perceived quality and lower volume production. However, I would not be at all surprised to see this camera become a favourite "fun" camera for pros who use MF or a 1DS all day....

And...heres a guess...

High level of "on the trail" autonomy (multi SD cards, high capacity battery etc).

Imagine being able to add a "custom grip" which could contain a high capacity battery pack, GPS, built in high 128 GB SSD etc). to enable the cam to go 3-4 days away from backup and electical supplies.

Add what you like to this list, it could be fun..... what "outdoor" accessories would you want?

So basically I expect an upgraded K20D (faster, less noise, better AF) but in a seriously tough but compact body.

And instead of relying solely on traditional camera outlets and magazines, they could advertise in lifestyle (skiing, hunting, hiking, mountain biking, fishing, sailing) magazines. No-one likes "rugged stuff" more than outdoors folk.

Well, its what I would do. Anyone remember the WR90 zoom compact? That went everywhere with me, rain or shine, and never missed a beat.
03-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #34
m8o
Veteran Member

Thanx for your thoughts Steve.

I guess however that's to be their replacement for the K20D but not what this rep was alluding to. (? just guessing)

03-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #35

Has anyone seen this article yet?

New Samsung DSLR in 2009, no full-frame forthcoming

It looks like the "smaller body" guesses could be right.
03-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Good lord, "new concept".

It could go either way. I'm cautiously optimistic - note the "cautiously" part.

It could mean a pro-level cam, or it could mean something novel - EVF only! A rehash of the Samsung NX!

I will cross my fingers.
03-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #37

Is K30D be the first touch screen DSLR?

Some said it got a touch screen.

YLovePhoto.com - Pentax K30D

And I think it looks like this: lol

Attached Images

03-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One thing is certain, development of the imaging system for the new camera (sensor and processor) started at least 18 months ago and is unlikely to change. What is going to change is the packaging - the type and specification of body that this image system will be installed in and its price point.

Instead of thinking about what Nikon and Canon do and expecting Pentax to do the same, think instead of what they DONT do any more and where the gaps are in their ranges. What market are they NOT addressing.

Or is everyone so brainwashed by Canon's marketing that nothing short of a 5Dmk2 clone with Pentax written on it will do? If so, buy a Canon. You will never get what you want.

I suspect the K20D will continue at a discount as their midrange product until they have sold all remaining stock before being superceded by a "new" midrange body which will have very similar specs to the current camera, but will be smaller.
K20 type camera would be superb as midrange product.

I would love a Pentax K3 that would be more of a high-speed cam, like D300, E3, A700, or maybe 2DXs (I still saw this last one being sold at Heathrow last month). 5-6 fps and larger buffer, would be a big help for sports and wildlife. I hope they continue with the 14.6 MP sensor, I have the K10 at the moment, but have been very impressed by the K20 output.

They already said it....

Smaller than any competition with similar spec (except Oly)
Rugged/outdoors oriented
High level of environmental sealing...

And I would guess, higher build quality and price (likely) because of high perceived quality and lower volume production. However, I would not be at all surprised to see this camera become a favourite "fun" camera for pros who use MF or a 1DS all day....
It is a brilliant move, to now come out with the 15 lmt. Many Pro suffer from carrying big heavy cams all day. They don’t need FF to take outstanding photos, so for spare time camera when not on assignment, they welcome small lightweight packages. C&N shooters are already asking why they can’t have those tiny pancake primes.

And...heres a guess...

High level of "on the trail" autonomy (multi SD cards, high capacity battery etc).

Imagine being able to add a "custom grip" which could contain a high capacity battery pack, GPS, built in high 128 GB SSD etc). to enable the cam to go 3-4 days away from backup and electical supplies.

Add what you like to this list, it could be fun..... what "outdoor" accessories would you want?

So basically I expect an upgraded K20D (faster, less noise, better AF) but in a seriously tough but compact body.

And instead of relying solely on traditional camera outlets and magazines, they could advertise in lifestyle (skiing, hunting, hiking, mountain biking, fishing, sailing) magazines. No-one likes "rugged stuff" more than outdoors folk.

Well, its what I would do. Anyone remember the WR90 zoom compact? That went everywhere with me, rain or shine, and never missed a beat.

High capacity battery sounds very nice. SD cards are sweet, and seem better technology, with good future headroom.
Rugged is the reason I’m with Pentax.
The WR90 was praised in a Danish mag, they followed a female Greenland explorer that spend months crossing the ice. After having travelled the distance, the only camera still working was the Pentax. The other cams were also supposed to be built for use in environment, but couldn’t stand the beating.

Also seems like Pentax and Samsung are exploring different directions, like what was intended all along. How they would be together on some things, but try out different areas also.

QuoteOriginally posted by MBrannon Quote
Has anyone seen this article yet?

New Samsung DSLR in 2009, no full-frame forthcoming

It looks like the "smaller body" guesses could be right.
Thanks for the link, I hope they're talking K3 with more fps and buffer. I would imagine a price of $ 1.800, if it should include a full package of specs

Last edited by Jonson PL; 03-08-2009 at 11:36 PM.
03-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #39
jay
Inactive Account

Finally! Someone I can agree with!

It would be suicide for Pentax to produce a full-frame camera. No lenses, no sensor, no marketing niche. And in this economy? Pentax needs to innovate -- not bandwagon with the big boys.

If I were Hoya, and the Pentax marketing people wanted Pentax to produce a full-frame camera, I'd ask for their resignations by the end of the day.
03-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #40

My interpretations of what was said:

(These are marketing people being interviewed, they do not necessarily understand all the details)

It is a new concept - probably means it starts something new (from a naming perspective). From a marketing perspecitve that could mean something as simple as it will not be called K30, but instead start the L series, or L* or whatever. Something of course has to change to motivate the this, could be size, colour, LCD, colour, who knows. Someone indicated they might launch a new mount, maybe that is it (delivered with a K-adapter of course), if this is the case they are probably using the fact that they can put the lens closer to the sensor, thus making the body smaller. This would be a natural development for Pentax as they are focusing on APS-C. Makes no sense to keep making lenses and bodies that are larger than necessary.

It will be more advanced - it is a new camera, therefore it will have more advanced technology. All new cameras is from certain aspects more advanced. The K-m is more advanced than the K20 in some areas I am sure (AF for instance).

I think a new concept sounds good. We all like our cameras, but it will probably be good for Pentax to deffereretiate itself a bit more from the competition. I have no idea what they have done to do this, but if they can find something so that people who want this special thing only can chose Pentax rather than having more or less all brands delivering the same, it will be good I think. Maybe it is related to weatherproofing, all bodys and lenses will from now on handle diving up to 10m depth or something :-) Or ruggedness; all bodys and lenses will be covered in 5mm rubber... I guess we will see this summer. So we have several more months to speculate :-)
03-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I guess is that pentax will make a much better k20d and smaler

BUT! sell it with a battery-grip that makes it a lot bigger.

That means that pentax can fit the small and the big camera-photographers demand.

One example is k20d today...together with the grip it looks like one big camera itsefs.

anyone support this theory?

Looking to the situacion now...It really seams that pentax are growing and make a lot of interest around it!!
Latest mounths I have been looking pentax on the first page in much photo-magazines....annuncment of new lens and camera.
Promises of a new big brother to the k20d and a medium format camera reliase..
Im stunned...

I don't know what i try to say...i just see that lately it have been a lot of pentax everywhere ....it's really a differens comparing to the last year!

Anyone see this fact too?
03-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jay Quote
Finally! Someone I can agree with!

It would be suicide for Pentax to produce a full-frame camera. No lenses, no sensor, no marketing niche. And in this economy? Pentax needs to innovate -- not bandwagon with the big boys.

If I were Hoya, and the Pentax marketing people wanted Pentax to produce a full-frame camera, I'd ask for their resignations by the end of the day.
Soooo...what sort of "innovation" are we looking at here?

Any ideas? I mean, any ideas that aren't pointless gimmicks - "Oooo, they should get rid of the optical viewfinder!!!"?

Has anyone stopped to think that the reason Canon and Nikon are on top isn't because of some vast conspiracy or because the majority of people are idiots, that it might be because they've got some good features?

Fanboyism will get us nowhere.

And massive "innovation" could well be as suicidal - probably more so, in my opinion - than simply doing something the others do.

People are afraid of change. Newness (or "novelty" if you will - same Latin root).

If Pentax puts out a touchscreen camera, or one that's 1/4" thick...no one's gonna spend $1800 on it just to try it out.

Frankly, I have no ideas, except for go full-frame, up the FPS and advertising...but that's bad because that's what Canon does, and where are they in terms of sales and popularity?
03-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Soooo...what sort of "innovation" are we looking at here?

Any ideas? I mean, any ideas that aren't pointless gimmicks - "Oooo, they should get rid of the optical viewfinder!!!"?

Has anyone stopped to think that the reason Canon and Nikon are on top isn't because of some vast conspiracy or because the majority of people are idiots, that it might be because they've got some good features?

Fanboyism will get us nowhere.

And massive "innovation" could well be as suicidal - probably more so, in my opinion - than simply doing something the others do.

People are afraid of change. Newness (or "novelty" if you will - same Latin root).

If Pentax puts out a touchscreen camera, or one that's 1/4" thick...no one's gonna spend $1800 on it just to try it out.

Frankly, I have no ideas, except for go full-frame, up the FPS and advertising...but that's bad because that's what Canon does, and where are they in terms of sales and popularity?

+1

very very well said...

surely the answer is to look at what people are spending their money on.. then offer that plus a bit more / enhancements.
now would not be the time for some untried and untested technology or gimmiks.. go with what has proven to work.
03-09-2009, 04:07 AM   #44
ogl
Banned

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Interview with Hoya Senior Official on Pentax's Latest Directions

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/other/2009/03/09/10386.html

A lot of answers to our questions.

Hoya/Pentax has no any relations with Samsung in NX project.
03-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
surely the answer is to look at what people are spending their money on.. then offer that plus a bit more / enhancements.
now would not be the time for some untried and untested technology or gimmiks.. go with what has proven to work.
And very well said, too. You're right, I think Pentax does need to offer more enhancements - but not trading it off against it being a functional, tried-and-true camera.

Yes, I wish I had the money of the people who say things like, "A square format Pentax? I'd buy it, just to check it out. A white one? I'll buy it to complement my black one!"

More than ever, Pentax needs to up the advertising budget, build the brand, the name. No amount of innovation is gonna matter when no one cares.

"Pentax? Heard of 'em, haven't heard much..."

I don't want Pentax to die a slow death, wasting its cash on a series of minor techno-stunts. Touchscreen interfaces, thin cameras, cameras coloured like Apple products.

Besides, anyone hear used a touchscreen in 80% humidity, 36-degree C heat, with greasy fingers? The fingerprint left on the screen stays there, heats up. and the 'screen thinks you're still pressing something. Not good for a "field camera". Like MP3 players, there'll be a hold button, no doubt, but after that it just seems like more trouble than its worth.

Here's what I think Pentax would do well to put into the next SLR:

* Pentaprism. Not mirror. Just want to make sure. 100% coverage - should be easier on APS-C.
* Faster, more accurate, fine-tuneable AF - both for SDM and screw.
* Weather sealing. Again, just making sure.
* Either make it more quiet with a slightly higher FPS rate, or don't make it quieter but significantly increase the FPS.
* For a field camera, have the ability to use AA's as back-up batteries.
* MARKETING! Dammit, I never thought I'd be one to actually recommend marketing, but Pentax needs it. It needs magazine adds in National Geo and Time. TV ads. A booth the size of Luxembourg at Photokina. Guerilla marketing. Viral marketing.

Nothing special. Certainly nothing innovative. But, then again, I don't think that Canon or Nikon owns the copyright to quiet cameras, or fast AF. It's not copying. It's just what cameras need to do.