Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 04:11 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
w/ the phase detection the AF system can actually instantly predict where to move the "focus group" of lens elements (means it can detect that we are in a BF or FF situation in the current position of the said "focus group") and even how much the "focus group" should be moved in that direction (not exactly, but in most cases the estimate is good enough... of course in a dim light, difficult target, etc it can make an error, phase detection still needs some contrast to work with)

w/ contrast detection which is using the same sensor that is taking a picture it is not so - you need actually to move the "focus group" of lens elements and sample, move and sample, and so on - so while CDAF is possible w/ any AF lens it is usable only if "focus group" of lens elements can be moved fast, that means (1) true ring type USM (not micromotors that Pentax sells you now) and (2) properly constructed "focus group" that will be moved by that motor (means the design of that "focus group", how it moves, what it the size and weight of it, etc, etc will be optimized for such operation of CDAF)

Thanks for the clarifications.

This should also have the nice side effect of bringing the AF speed of Pentax SDM lenses up to the level everyone else's ultrasonic focusing is: good!

03-11-2009, 04:13 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Thanks! Reading that makes so much more sense than the partial translations that have been posted on this thread and other places. Not to mention the horrible web translations. Too much to be taken out of context without having the entire thing in front of you.

So new rumor... Successor to the K20D is..... The L10DX?
03-11-2009, 04:24 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Best translation I've seen. Thanks for the help!

Smaller bodies would be great. But I thought the K200D was more ripe to be replaced than the K20D. *shrug* I hope we can see improvements in performance also. Doesn't have to be class-leading, but still an upgrade.

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Thanks! Reading that makes so much more sense than the partial translations that have been posted on this thread and other places. Not to mention the horrible web translations. Too much to be taken out of context without having the entire thing in front of you.

So new rumor... Successor to the K20D is..... The L10DX?
I'm thinking more like ME-D Super. I know, I know, it's a horrible name, but I'm just getting the idea across.
03-11-2009, 05:00 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Best translation I've seen. Thanks for the help!

Smaller bodies would be great. But I thought the K200D was more ripe to be replaced than the K20D. *shrug* I hope we can see improvements in performance also. Doesn't have to be class-leading, but still an upgrade.
Maybe they plan to continue to sell the K20D at a price between the K-m and the new camera as a stop-gap solution. I think it makes sense this way, because the K200D successor is likely to have faster AF an FPS, and possibly other features, than the K20D.

03-11-2009, 05:15 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I do like what I saw in that translation.
It seams like pentax is just that great that i expected.

Smaller body then the k20d....I don't like that.

In the same time, the Pentax MX was a fantastic camera and not very similar to the k20ds body.

I think we will see a big change and a very new camera folks...
03-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by kimpira Quote
The new camera should have such an attitude and the users will always love it "even in the bed."
Whoa, what kind of camera is this? I thought only Leica fans were that...dedicated!

Many thanks for the translation!
03-11-2009, 05:34 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kimpira
The new camera should have such an attitude and the users will always love it "even in the bed."

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Whoa, what kind of camera is this? I thought only Leica fans were that...dedicated!

Many thanks for the translation!
I am more conserned about what kind of functions we can find in the new pentax

03-11-2009, 06:03 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you kimpira for the new translation.
Overall it sounds better, more positive, than the previous ones.

I am a little concerned about this sentence though:

PENTAX plans to revise standard DA lenses that will to be fit to new K20D class model
Does that mean that all current lenses will not be fully compatible with the new body?
Difficult to believe.
03-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Thank you kimpira for the new translation.
Overall it sounds better, more positive, than the previous ones.

I am a little concerned about this sentence though:

Does that mean that all current lenses will not be fully compatible with the new body?
Difficult to believe.
Hi, blende8,

I don't know all current lenses will be revised and compatibility.

Mr. Kawauchi said "The lenses revising include no optical layout change, but refinement to fit to the new body" in the interview.

*IMO, it might be a cosmetic change for high quality appearance.
03-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #70

Hi, blende8,

Mr. Kawauchi said "The lenses revising include no optical layout change, but refinement to fit to the new body" in the interview.

what about it being a whole new mount system so that old lenses do not fit the new body?
forcing people who buy it to buy in to a new lens mount system??

has the potential of increasing pentax revenue by increasing lens sales as there will not be a 2nd hand market for these lens for quite some time to come?
03-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Hi, blende8,

Hi kimpira,

Thanks for the translation. It sounds much better than what people thought previously.

It also makes sense why Pentax wants very little to do with the NX system from Samsung.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Pentax previews this summer, especially if they are taking inspiration from the Limited line-up of lenses...

Can I dream of a small, sealed, full-featured, easy to use, lightweight, and all-metal dSLR to go with the Limiteds??
03-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote

w/ contrast detection which is using the same sensor that is taking a picture it is not so - you need actually to move the "focus group" of lens elements and sample, move and sample, and so on - so while CDAF is possible w/ any AF lens it is usable only if "focus group" of lens elements can be moved fast, that means (1) true ring type USM (not micromotors that Pentax sells you now) and (2) properly constructed "focus group" that will be moved by that motor (means the design of that "focus group", how it moves, what it the size and weight of it, etc, etc will be optimized for such operation of CDAF)
Help me understand what you are saying. If Pentax Comes out with a CDAF system the present lenses including third party will not be able to take full advantage of the technology. A new series of lenses coupled with the CDAF system would be capable of being as accurate and fast as anything on the market today in other APS-C systems?

Do you have any idea how the presently available lenses, including third party lenses, would fair on such a system compared to the K20D?
03-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #73
Veteran Member

The article talks about precision instruments. So for the sake of just throwing ideas about what do you guys/gals think goes into making a precision camera? I know there are a lot of gearheads/petrolheads on this board so they will know what I mean when I ask about precision. So here is what I am going to throw out:

1. Pentaprism - Bright OVF = happy photog for me
2. Lighter/stronger body material - this is a toss up for me I don't think this will happen just because the cost/benefit ratio would be so far out of whack. But for the sake of argument Carbon Fiber frame?
3. New SAFOX design/replacement - A lot has been said about the current algorithm and what it lacks. Perhaps something to replace the current design?

Also after watching a couple clips of the boys over on Top Gear I think I found the answer to Pentax's problems! Go with a RED K20D combo with a 16-50* and put a Ferrarri or Porche badge on it! make the body and lens look like they are made of carbon fiber and sell them for $5K!
03-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #74
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Also after watching a couple clips of the boys over on Top Gear I think I found the answer to Pentax's problems! Go with a RED K20D combo with a 16-50* and put a Ferrarri or Porche badge on it! make the body and lens look like they are made of carbon fiber and sell them for $5K!
those guys are great! Actually, your idea sounds like a good basis for a D-SLR customizer/tuner. ...For any that want to add 'bling' to their D-SLRs!
03-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Help me understand what you are saying. If Pentax Comes out with a CDAF system the present lenses including third party will not be able to take full advantage of the technology.
And it means that they are adding a faster AF motor to use a slower AF technique (CD).
CDAF will probably be not faster at all, perhaps even slower.

But ok, no problem with me, provided that the PDAF will be faster with the new motor.