Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone remember that funny looking camera w/ the round control ring around the mount? Some prototype.... I was wondering if the 2 (proposed new mount camera) aren't related. I barely glanced at it but the reason I bring this up is it is unlikely that Pentax developed a camera in a short time but it may be part developed a long time ago....

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-12-2009 at 09:03 AM.
03-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Could it be that the translation stating that this move was decided AFTER Photokina 2008 is not accurate and that Pentax had been planning this for a few years...?
I think you're drawing too many conclusions from the translation - does it really say that they did anything else than revising their plans? This may mean a lot of different things, from pure marketing decisions to minor cosmetic changes to the camera. Also, for the lenses, it may simply mean that they decided to hold back some of the not yet released lenses to prepare them for the new features.

BTW: I think it's pretty obvious that they've been working on movie mode and more advanced LV for quite a while, the high speed mode of the K20d is a clear hint at that.

BTW2: It now occurs to me that the 645 55 mm 2.8 not only disappeared from the roadmap because the 645 project was frozen (it probably never was really frozen, rather put in the cooler ), but because they're going to use a larger sensor. 55mm would have been a "perfect normal" on the 31mp 44x33 sensor they were planning to use, but now they're obviously going to use a larger sensor (either 48x36, which gives a 60 mm normal, or maybe even larger?)
03-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #123

Photos: Albums
you beat me on that one Jeffkroll : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/53887-anyone-game-pent...on-here-2.html

just to illustrate...

sorry for the cross posting...
03-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The DA Star 30 is re-scheduled for the new lens serie.
New lens serie will be APS-C, so not 24x36.
Why a new lens serie? Because it will have new autofocus SDM compatible with contrast detect AF. A new name is needed to avoid confusing with the older AF lenses that is not compatible with contrast detect AF system.

The new bodies will offer contrast detect AF for a fast live view function and video mode with full realtime autofocus.

Note that contrast detect AF only will work with SDM lenses, not screwdriven lenses.
New bodies will of course has support for both the new contrast detect AF and the old phase detection AF to work with old lenses.

But only the new lens lineup can take advantage of the new live AF without back- or front focus problems. Contrast detect AF needs a re-design of the in-lens motors.

I believe the consumer lenses, like the 18-55 II, 50-200 and 55-300 will be the first lenses to come in new versions for the contrast detect AF - with the new lens name. And the 30 as a nice standard lens with f/1.4.
I don’t care for Live-View, so they better not make all the current Pentax lenses that are on my wish list; slow on a new K-limited cam.

And any new lenses I buy, I would prefer them also working on my K10, or K-m cam. Else I might just refrain from the new ones.
I start to comprehend those who primarily buy from FA series.

Ohh well, I’ll see how it goes. Pentax did well with the K20 and K-m, lets see how this new stuff unfolds.

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
It's important now that a manufacturer has put one in and others followed suit (possibly unimportant for us, though some have put it to good use, but important to marketing departments of manufacturers). It would be seen as lagging the competition in one regard for a company to not have it (even if it doesn't add to the photographic process).
You could very well be right in this

I am all for a new SDM concept as I am not particularly impressed by the current one.

Dual system was very thoughtful to older users, but I would also prefer ring-type SDM.
If the new SDM system would be these Ring-type instead of micromotors, I’ll probably complain now, but then be buying loads in 4-5 years

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
It also makes sense why Pentax wants very little to do with the NX system from Samsung.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Pentax previews this summer, especially if they are taking inspiration from the Limited line-up of lenses...

Can I dream of a small, sealed, full-featured, easy to use, lightweight, and all-metal dSLR to go with the Limiteds??
That would be pretty interesting for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think the interview text may actually contain enough hints to start speculation about the "K20D class" summer camera will look like. This is my take at it:
  1. The design finish will be significant enough to justify a revision of the design finish of DA Limited lenses, and maybe some other DA lenses too.
Could well be

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
When used with old lenses:
Contrast detect auto focus would be unavailable or painfully slow
Phase detect auto focus would remain pretty much as it is now
This would be okay with me. Then I could still get a lot out of older lenses, like I use now

03-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Maybe you missed this? :

"Sometimes I suspect that one reason companies announce things so far in advance of their actual release is because it means they get to show the product at more than one photo show. I noticed (with a certain bemusement) that Pentax is announcing its medium-format digital camera yet again. This thing has been doing duty as an upcoming product at photo shows for so many years now that I wonder if it qualifies as some sort of Orwellian perma-vaporware, as unending as the distant wars in 1984 (or Afghanistan). I'll probably have snow-white hair and not be able to remember the way to my rocker and I'll still be reading about the Pentax medium-format digital camera that's just about to be released. Generally, it seems a condition of the New World: seasons flash past with a cloud of promised products always hovering tantalizingly just out of view. Imagine the money our strapped car companies could save if they could keep showing the same new models and the same concept cars at show after show, year after year. It would sure beat the challenge of having to come up with something new for every exhibition."

Clipped from here from a few days ago:

The Online Photographer
Thanks, pretty funny

I only found this one though :

Samsung saying, "We're working on this." Despite which, a few tasty CAD renderings and some technical details fly very nicely at this PMA, which is starved for news.

They're saying "second half of 2009," which is moved up from the original announcement of "sometime in 2010." Which I would take to mean: the G1 is selling nicely and we're rarin' to compete in this segment.
The Online Photographer: Spoke Too Soon...Samsung NX

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
My count down to bail out has obviously began... chute release wire is attached to hook, I am standing in the door, just collecting courage to roar "GERONIMOoooo........"

As far as I can see, Pentax is now taking different path than what is suitable for me. My game is landscapes, not hardcore extreme outdoor activities. Please say that this interpretation is wrong.
I don’t think Pentax is abandoning landscape photography; it was always one of their big areas. All of their Pro medium format were well made for this.

Looking at some of the work from selected Pro’s and landscape photographers; I don’t think FF is a necessity :

Chris DM :
Round Valley 0307 Photo Gallery by Chris Miller at pbase.com

san_jacinto_june_08 Photo Gallery by Chris Miller at pbase.com

Cideway :
PENTAX Photo Gallery

Amcinroy :
Andy McInroy Photography - Landscape Photography of Ireland and Great Britain

QuoteOriginally posted by kimpira Quote
PIE 2009 means Photo Imaging EXPO in Tokyo, 26 March 2009.

Photo Imaging Expo 2009
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
okey, maybe.

But that is just my point.
We are photography enthusiasts.....not electronic-gear fanatics.

Saying starving kids, end wars, climate-changes ect ect...was a kind of a joke but a touch of seriosity. We mind just too much in the small things..

Everybody here is even happy to be able to afford a Camera??

There are a lots of people out there that Don't!

Take it with a spoon of salt if you want, but try to see my point.

I love taking pictures and
Photography is simple. Capture a moment, that's it! Nothing more
I see your point. I thought it was surprising to see people go into frenzy over Ned buying a digicam for the fun of it. Opening the daily paper; I could see quite some more troublesome topics

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Anyone remember that funny looking camera w/ the round control ring around the mount? Some prototype.... I was wondering if the 2 (proposed new mount camera) aren't related. I barely glanced at it but the reason I bring this up is it is unlikely that Pentax developed a camera in a short time but it may be part developed a long time ago....
When the K10 came out, Pentax had already worked on a K1 top-end cam. But it seemed Hoya said no to bringing it out that time around. Some ideas from that one could still be circling.
03-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #126

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I Think Pentax has to be inventive. They lost their markedshare in Japan etc. I hope they will came with something that will let the K20d drop in price, because everybody wants the new camera.
03-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
That one was without a mirror, only electronic viewfinder not optical.
In the interview discussed here, the man says no mirror-less camera like the Samsung NX. So it will use a mirror and because of this - optical viewfinder.

The "new project" is probably mostly a change of design, chassi and some features and firmware. Electronics and mechanics should be the same - sensor, image processors etc, already developed for the "K20D replacement" could very well be used by the new camera. So basic things are the same, but in a new body style and some changes. Could be done in half a year, no problem .

03-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I don’t care for Live-View, so they better not make all the current Pentax lenses that are on my wish list; slow on a new K-limited cam.
New camera uses mirror = has optical viewfinder = has phase detection AF = old lenses will work just as they work today, on the phase detection AF system. It is in live view AF mode their performance can be compromised, but you don't have to use that mode if you don't want to.

Oh, screwdriven AF still support. Pentax says it will match the Limited lenses.
Those lenses has screwdriven AF...

QuoteQuote:
And any new lenses I buy, I would prefer them also working on my K10, or K-m cam.
I don't see why improved in-lens motors in new lenses would not work on other cameras supporting SDM drive. It is not like lenses for contrast detect AF on 4/3 isn't working on older 4/3 bodies.
03-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I think you're drawing too many conclusions from the translation
I sure am but aren't we all... ??
03-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Maybe not wild ... but still 100% speculations!
No, it is not speculations that the camera uses enhanced live view.
It is official from John Carson in an interview in Amateur photographer.
It is also not speculation that Pentax has "revised" the lenses - no changes in optics, but internal changes to work with the new functionality in the new camera.
It is also not speculations that contrast detect AF needs update to lenses, they are requiring it for the 4/3 system. Why would Pentax be different?! And Pentax has an older mount than the modern mount in 4/3...

QuoteQuote:
I have some difficulties believing that Pentax designed a whole new system (new body + lenses mechanisms) with superior AF technology than C&N in 6 months...
It is not a whole new system.
It is a different body design, but that doesn't have to take several years to make.
Basic electronics and stuff were already designed, for the "K20D replacement".
The lens mechanism isn't completely new, it is just an update to the existing one in the SDM lenses. Consumer lenses will be SDM, it is not something they came up with just now, they have planned it ever since the K10D got power contacts. Remember, optical design the same - so most are already there. It will of course to take time to roll out a completely new set of SDM lenses, that won't happen overnight.
But releasing a new camera with an update to the 17-70 SDM that already has SDM, and then follow it with more SDM. Not a hard thing to do really.
Olympus offers updates to their newest lenses, users can take their lens to Olympus and Olympus updates it, to work with contrast detect AF.
Doesn't sound like a very big thing to do that takes several years to develop... Olympus released this update just a few weeks after the Panasonic G1 was official.
It is just updating of existing technology, nothing completely new.
And contrast detect live AF as been around for years, nothing new there too.
The "K20D replacement" where already prepared for enhanced live view.
The new thing is that it is coming down in a smaller package.
So it is definately not a completely new camera. It is "just" a modification of the "K20D replacement". Not a totally new camera, just a modification of a prototype still in development.
What is "superior" to Canon and Nikon (your words, not mine, I have not said "superior") is that Pentax does this update to enhance the functionality and speed of contrast detect AF. Without this, the lenses would be too slow - like it is on Canon and Nikon. It is perfectly possible for Canon and Nikon to update their lenses too, and they may just do that in the near future. Not a big thing, not a hard thing, nothing revolutionary about it.
Thing is, contrast detect AF is a compromise on Nikon and Canon because their lenses isn't updated to take advantage of the new system. Those updates are surely to come soon.
03-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #131
Veteran Member

New camera uses mirror = has optical viewfinder = has phase detection AF = old lenses will work just as they work today, on the phase detection AF system. It is in live view AF mode their performance can be compromised, but you don't have to use that mode if you don't want to.
Ok, thanks for the clarification

Oh, screwdriven AF still support. Pentax says it will match the Limited lenses.
Those lenses has screwdriven AF...

Sounds good, I'm having a lot of fun with my newly acquired FA 43 lmt.
03-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #132
Veteran Member

That one was without a mirror, only electronic viewfinder not optical.
In the interview discussed here, the man says no mirror-less camera like the Samsung NX. So it will use a mirror and because of this - optical viewfinder.
Yeah, plus the design in question is (according to the dpreview article cited) from 1997.
03-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please read my rewrite of the translation into easy question and answer form. There simply isn't room here to get into all the details.

Now, fact is that Pentax is releasing a new lens serie to fit the new body. Why would they do this if the new body doesn't offer new functionality that requires new lenses?
Because they want to line up the Pentax lettering on the lens cap.

To stay competetive, Pentax just can't offer a slow contrast detect AF system as Canon and Nikon.
Sure they can. I find them competitive right now. In fact I'd rather have a Pentax than a Canon and Nikon which is why I, um, do. No one camera can be all things to all people. Pentax understand this.

But a change of colour does not require a new lens serie. The white DA L lenses are still DA L lenses - cosmetic change but still the same serie.
Semantics are hard to argue when dealing with translations of interviews of what someone actually said. And the word is "series".

Pentax has officially said, last year, that they were considering it, that they were looking into it. They did not promised it, but they were considering it.
This is the closest thing to a "yes it will have video" they can say.
It's also rather close to a "No."

No, it is not speculations that the camera uses enhanced live view. It is official from John Carson in an interview in Amateur photographer.
That very short article not only manages to contradict itself but also the official word from Japan. I grant it no credence.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Sounds good, I'm having a lot of fun with my newly acquired FA 43 lmt.
And that's what it's all about!
03-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
my rewrite of the translation into easy question and answer form.
Very nice write up.

The appearance of K200D successor isn't early 2010. It is 2010 holiday season.
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar blog:
Will there be a full-frame DSLR from Pentax?
No. And please stop asking. Pentax have always said no.
This is my only other complaint. This has not been said in any Japanese interview I am aware of. Certainly not in the recent DC Watch interview.

It was said that NX and FF are similiar effort. Which would be a reason not to be involved in the NX game.

And earlier, it was said that 645D would be a priority over FF. Now with 645 being finished soon, I don't see that Pentax denies FF plans.

But I agree, the agenda is set for up mid 2010. So, FF would come mid 2010, or later, or never.
03-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Please read my rewrite of the translation into easy question and answer form. There simply isn't room here to get into all the details.
Good job, thanks for that !