Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Whoa, what kind of camera is this? I thought only Leica fans were that...dedicated!

Many thanks for the translation!

03-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kimpira Quote
DC Watch, IMPRESS

Title:PENTAX will introduce a new DSLR in the summer 2009, the concept changes from K20D. PENTAX has no relation to Samsung mirror-less camera.

In Photokina, PENTAX insisted in introducing successors of K20D and K200D by the summer. What has been developed by PENTAX?
Many PENTAX freaks anticipated no DSLR introduction in PMA 2009 but they want to know the move of PENTAX.

DC Watch interviewed Mr. Taku Kawauchi, a planning group manager, PENTAX imaging system company, HOYA. He got the manager post in March 2009.

-----K20D class model will not be a direct successor of K20D?

Mr. Kawauchi had been publicity management before PMA, so he knew very well the past published information by PENTAX. Before DC Watch asked questions, he mentioned 2 models of DSLR.

PENTAX developed 2 DSLR models in September 2008, Photokina season, but PENTAX revised development roadmap after Photokina; K20D class model will hit the market by the summer 2009, K200D class model will hit the market in the New Year season 2010.

"This in not because the world-wide recession. PENTAX revised the plan to introduce K20D class DSLR after the hard discussion. Although now PENTAX cut some lenses and T/C on the lens- developing roadmap, PENTAX plans to reintroduce the lenses afterward." Mr. Kawauchi said.

PENTAX plans to revise standard DA lenses that will to be fit to new K20D class model (this is not a direct successor of K20D).
Mr. Kawauchi said "When new camera will appear, you must know the whole thing about the reason of revising. Enjoy waiting."
"The lenses revising include no optical layout change, but refinement to fit to the new body."
What functions will new body have?
He did not mention specific things about it. "New body should have full functions in trend of DSLR world. If the functions are not enough, PENTAX users will get disappointed apparently."

PENTAX does not only seem to develop the new body with full latest function, but also the attitude of the K20D class model will be a competing thing.
'K20D class' means the model is not a direct successor of K20D.
Although many users like K20D body, Mr. Kawauchi think "K20D body maybe lack a certain attitude that PENTAX had for a long time."

" For instance, Limited lenses have many attractive features: precise design, easy to use and high performance. We can't evaluate the body that can not compete with rivals a few months after the release. What is the competence of PENTAX? This is the question for you."

Mr. Kawauchi hinted some things.
For instance, DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited has the following features; a built-in hood is capable for handling and the design of the gauge area is very precise.
It seems to be a precision product. The lenses cap with embossed PENTAX logotype is well made because the logotypes correctly horizontal at the secure position.

These features are not high technology things, but from the PENTAX attitude that makes good things. The new camera should have such an attitude and the users will always love it "even in the bed."

Mr. Kawauchi said PENTAX evaluates size-factor because K20D is big to handle and PENTAX users want to have smaller bodies.
He said new DSLR will be so smaller than K20D that it should be match to DA Limited lenses.

He said K20D and K200D have a similar design scheme, but new K20D class DSLR will have a different design taste to 2010 new year season camera(K200D class DSLR).
He said "development staffs are very pleased to join the new DSLR projects. They think they could show the ability as PENTAX. The new model might be suitable for PENTAX users' expectation.
In addition, PENTAX mentioned the priority of 645D was higher than FF DSLR and the development of 645D resumed. In this interview, Mr. Kawauchi said the development of 645D is going on. DC Watch thinks PENTAX might make a presentation about 645D as a real product in PIE 2009 or later.

-----PENTAX has no relation to NX system

Mr. Kawauchi said they have completely no relation to NX system of Samsung.
But in other category, PENTAX have a partnership still with Samsung.

Mr. Kawauchi said "We did not know more than the information about mirror-less camera of Samsung from international news media after Photokina. In fact, there is no joint venture about NX system. Right now, we have no conversation about NX system and Lenses for NX."
The rumor that PENTAX and Samsung have a partnership about NX system is not correct according to Mr. Kawauchi.
Actually the partnership of PENTAX and Samsung deals the development of camera bodies, not lenses. (Samsung DSLR lenses are OEM of PENTAX.)
Also the rumor that Sigma and Samsung has a partnership about NX lenses was denied by Kazuto Yamamoto, Sigma president. ”Many people ask me about joint venture to Samsung, in fact Sigma has no business in the NX.”
DC Watch has no information about NX lenses manufacturer.

----PENTAX gives priority to K mount system more than a mirror-less system
"We want to make the product with the proud of a manufacture company."(Mr. Kawauchi)

Mr. Kawauchi said "We are interesting in the system change by the mirror-less method, however our priority is to complete our lens-system. Mirror-less system is worth to think about, but we have no plan right now." He mentioned that the focal point of PENTAX will be to develop DSLR as an optical maker, not mirror-less.

“We also have to develop 645D system. It needs power. Creating new lenses mount like NX system needs as huge power as a Full-frame DSLR system. If we can not comprehend that the new system is superior to K mount system in all aspects, we never enter the mirror-less category.”

At the end of the interview, Mr. Kawauchi said to PENTAX fans.
"Obviously there is world wide recession. We think recession mainly affects entry-level DSLRs. In high-amateur level category, customers will pay to the products that they love and want seriously".

"We, PENTAX want to make the product with the proud of a manufacture company. We will make severe cost-management, but pour money to the necessary parts and functions. We do not only want get the share of products. We want the users to buy PENTAX unique goods with their pleasure".

"In 2009, PENTAX will offer the cameras (compacts and DSLRs) that are not only good products, but also bring pleasure to users' hearts."

Hi Kimpira,
thanks a lot for taking the time, making the translation.

I really like this part :
At the end of the interview, Mr. Kawauchi said to PENTAX fans.
"Obviously there is world wide recession. We think recession mainly affects entry-level DSLRs. In high-amateur level category, customers will pay to the products that they love and want seriously".

Looking forward to what Pentax will have in store for us

What is PIE 2009 ?
03-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #78
Veteran Member

kimpira, thanks for the excellent translation. I do really appreciate it.

but PENTAX revised development roadmap after Photokina; K20D class model will hit the market by the summer 2009,
[...]
PENTAX revised the plan to introduce K20D class DSLR after the hard discussion.
[...]
PENTAX plans to revise standard DA lenses that will to be fit to new K20D class model (this is not a direct successor of K20D).
Mr. Kawauchi said "When new camera will appear, you must know the whole thing about the reason of revising. Enjoy waiting."
"The lenses revising include no optical layout change, but refinement to fit to the new body."
[...]
Mr. Kawauchi think "K20D body maybe lack a certain attitude that PENTAX had for a long time."
"For instance, Limited lenses have many attractive features: precise design, easy to use and high performance."
[...]
The lenses cap with embossed PENTAX logotype is well made because the logotypes correctly horizontal at the secure position.
[...]
He said new DSLR will be so smaller than K20D that it should be match to DA Limited lenses.
[...]
If we can not comprehend that the new system is superior to K mount system in all aspects, we never enter the mirror-less category.
[...]In 2009, PENTAX will offer the cameras (compacts and DSLRs) that are not only good products, but also bring pleasure to users' hearts."
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Does that mean that all current lenses will not be fully compatible with the new body?
*IMO, it might be a cosmetic change for high quality appearance.
I think the interview text may actually contain enough hints to start speculation about the "K20D class" summer camera will look like. This is my take at it:
  1. Somehow, some of the things spoken out during Photokina made Pentax management think and revise plans. I was there and felt the mood. If they listened to that I would say, they revised for the better.
  2. A new body, smaller than K20D, more like what we would call a "Limited Body".
  3. The K mount is kept. Maybe, augmented.
  4. The new body will be made with a precision engineering attitude. Maybe, more metal parts on the outside. Maybe, less bulky, more like a film camera? Like what kimpira said. Less plastic, more quality, more fall-in-love, more applerist.
  5. The design finish will be significant enough to justify a revision of the design finish of DA Limited lenses, and maybe some other DA lenses too.
  6. Because the body is a new engineering, we may see improvements of features depending on this part: Faster fps, more silent shutter (SDM DA Limiteds?), faster flash etc.
Overall, I think they changed from "let's participate in the feature race" to "let's create a more enjoyable, less boring" product. What Leica did to survive. Which is a good thing as long as they don't forget on features and pricing at all.
03-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
those guys are great! Actually, your idea sounds like a good basis for a D-SLR customizer/tuner. ...For any that want to add 'bling' to their D-SLRs!

Yes.. I've add twin turbo chargers and a V8 to my K20D... it fires 800fps before the body melts

03-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you kimpira for the new translation.
Overall it sounds better, more positive, than the previous ones.

I am a little concerned about this sentence though:

Does that mean that all current lenses will not be fully compatible with the new body?
Difficult to believe.
Maybe this can answer your doubts (The underline is mine)

United States Patent Application: 0080075454

RuiC
03-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #81
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
DC Watch, IMPRESS

"In 2009, PENTAX will offer the cameras (compacts and DSLRs) that are not only good products, but also bring pleasure to users' hearts."
Thank you for your work, dear friend!
03-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #82

PIE 2009 means Photo Imaging EXPO in Tokyo, 26 March 2009.

Photo Imaging Expo 2009

03-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote

RuiC
Interesting. Not weather sealed but water-proof mounting?
03-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote

Thanks, but I don't understand a word of it.
Do you know what that means?

"an outer diameter of the second mount ring being smaller than an outer diameter of the first mount ring." ???
03-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, but I don't understand a word of it.
Do you know what that means?

"an outer diameter of the second mount ring being smaller than an outer diameter of the first mount ring." ???
Not really. I can only fancy about some different(size) mount. All functions will remain effective. That's why he says they need to madify the DAs. Someone has to unveil some more info or we'll have to read between the lines, what's dangerous.

RuiC
03-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #86
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The way I understand the patent application (o.k., understand may be a stretch, so lets say interpret) is the new lenses will be smaller diameter but with an additional mounting ring may be used on current bodies.

QuoteQuote:
4. An interchangeable lens selectively mountable to a first-type camera body and a second-type camera body,wherein said first-type camera body comprises a first mount ring to which said interchangeable lens is mountable,wherein said second-type camera body comprises a second mount ring to which said interchangeable lens is mountable,wherein said interchangeable lens comprises an annular packing made of a resilient material,wherein said first mount ring includes an annular portion identical in size and shape to a corresponding annular portion of said second mount ring; and an annular contacting portion provided on an outer periphery of said annular portion,wherein an inner peripheral surface of a rear end of said annular packing is positioned radially outside of said second mount ring in a state where said interchangeable lens is mounted to said second-type camera body, andwherein said inner peripheral surface of said rear end of said annular packing is positioned radially inside of an outer peripheral surface of said annular contacting portion in a state where said interchangeable lens is mounted to said first-type camera body.
03-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Help me understand what you are saying. If Pentax Comes out with a CDAF system the present lenses including third party will not be able to take full advantage of the technology.
you can focus existing AF lenses using CDAF, they just will be slower in comparison w/ focusing them using PDAF (unless you have a bad PDAF)

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
A new series of lenses coupled with the CDAF system would be capable of being as accurate and fast as anything on the market today in other APS-C systems?
Accurate they should be, because CDAF relies on the same sensor that takes a picture. As for the speed - PDAF by its nature is faster than CDAF and w/ the same lens properly (we do not know whether it is the case of course w/ SAFOX or not) designed PDAF will always beat properly designed CDAF - the question is whether the difference will be noticeable... at this moment CDAF bets on a proper lens design to reduce the lag to the point that it is practically as fast as a good consumer level PDAF.
03-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New class dslr

After reading Taku Kawauchi San words, some bells are ringing now!
For instance what do you think this drawing means?:
Attached Images

03-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Ok, I understand what Pentax is saying here, now for the wish list, MZ-S style body!!!!!

I like the K20D's size actually, a bit smaller is ok but not too small!! I am hoping that they do make a body that fits with the limiteds in regards of build quality and feel ( MZ-S style )

ok so I will now start saving my pennies again and hope that this "new" concept is both worth while and will truely seperate Pentax from the rest, and at least compete with the 5dMKII is hi iso, resolution and IQ.

Just had to be said.
03-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
at this moment CDAF bets on a proper lens design to reduce the lag to the point that it is practically as fast as a good consumer level PDAF.
OUCH! That is not what I wanted to hear. The AF and tracking speed I get out of my Sony A700 with a cheap Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is significantly better than anything Pentax has to offer today. If I am interpreting what you are saying properly, Pentax will have to improve their PDAF system to match the speed of the Sony system?
Thanks for your help,
Ken

BTW, just to clarify my position on this. The idea of the next Pentax being smaller than the K20D is, IMO, great. Now if the AF tracking and low light focusing can match (not beat) the Sony A700 I'd be able to dump the Sony and shoot just Pentax even if that means buying some new lenses.

Last edited by regken; 03-11-2009 at 09:17 AM.