Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
After reading Taku Kawauchi San words, some bells are ringing now!
For instance what do you think this drawing means?:
My interpretation is that it's either an electronic viewfinder, or an LCD overlay in the optical viewfinder.

03-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
My interpretation is that it's either an electronic viewfinder, or an LCD overlay in the optical viewfinder.
Sounds interesting, but i wouldn't give too much in this idea. Maybe the status information in the viewfinder has already different pathes/names from the cpu or something like that. Interesting too the external lcd, some time ago i suggested to build a seperate larger lcd to be connected to the camera, maybe even with some remote functions. I would love that for tripod work and macro... If...
03-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Sounds interesting, but i wouldn't give too much in this idea. Maybe the status information in the viewfinder has already different pathes/names from the cpu or something like that.
Could be.

QuoteQuote:
Interesting too the external lcd, some time ago i suggested to build a seperate larger lcd to be connected to the camera, maybe even with some remote functions. I would love that for tripod work and macro... If...
I interpret "external" in this context as "on the outside of the body", i.e. the rear LCD screen as we already know it.
03-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #94
Veteran Member

kimpira: Thank you, thank you! I interpret this as very positive news for us as follows of the Pentax philosophy. Much joy awaits in our futures!

03-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Do not worry about AF speed.
Current SAFOX system with existing lenses will be improved, in addition to the contrast detect live view AF. But lenses needs AF-improvement in design to be fast with contrast detect. This should also make them even faster with phase detection, this would be logical. So two fast AF systems offered, the user has the choice depending on need.
03-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #96

QuoteQuote:
The lenses revising include no optical layout change, but refinement to fit to the new body.
Hopefully this means weather seals across the lens range and not a plastic mount instead of the current metal one.

Prog.
03-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I have already read about that LCD overlay into the optical VF. It seems not to be the case here, although I forcely wished. After trying to understand the description it ends up with just an photo info LCD, not image LCD.

RuiC

03-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Quick question in regards to the Phase vs Contrast AF. From my understanding both systems still struggle in low light or low contrast situations. Is the question weather or not both will be available in the next camera? Phase Detection for the OVF and Contrast Detection in Live view? Or is it a question of choosing one over the other because one variant is better than the other?
03-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #99

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Quick question in regards to the Phase vs Contrast AF. From my understanding both systems still struggle in low light or low contrast situations. Is the question weather or not both will be available in the next camera? Phase Detection for the OVF and Contrast Detection in Live view? Or is it a question of choosing one over the other because one variant is better than the other?
Well, the first one who posted about contrast detection auto focus was saying that both would be available. He also said that in order to make CDAF fast enough to be viable the speed of the auto focus motor in new lenses would have to be significantly improved. This would in turn make them significantly faster when used with phase detection auto focus.

In short, he said that the new camera when used with the new lenses would feature:
Contrast detect auto focus at a similar speed to what we see now on Pentax cameras
Phase detect auto focus at a much faster speed than we see now on Pentax cameras

When used with old lenses:
Contrast detect auto focus would be unavailable or painfully slow
Phase detect auto focus would remain pretty much as it is now

At least, that was the impression I got from what he said. I also don't know how much of this is a guess and how much is inside info.

Regarding the patent application. I haven't read even close to the whole thing, but it looks like it is for lenses that could be used on two different mounts without an adapter by having an inner mount ring and an outer mount ring. This could be for anything. It seems like it may be the source of (or possibly confirmation of) the rumor that there will be lenses that can be used on either the 645D or K mount SLRs. On the other hand it could be for an entirely new mount along with one of the existing ones.
03-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Maybe this can answer your doubts United States Patent Application: 0080075454
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Thanks, but I don't understand a word of it.
This document is hard to read w/o the images. The images don't display because they are TIFFs. So, I made a PDF from them for the convenience of my forum fellows.

Also note that the original patent was filed September 2006. So we speak about 3+ y.o. stuff here.

Here we go:

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
03-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #101
Veteran Member

thanks

For those wishing to peruse other patents and their associated images you can download a browser plug-in:

interneTIFF
http://www.internetiff.com/
Quicktime likes to try but fails. Apparently these are not normal TIFF's. Why I have no clue.
03-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Quicktime likes to try but fails. Apparently these are not normal TIFF's. Why I have no clue.
Because there is no such thing as a normal TIFF. It's a file format that permits any number of subformats based on tags that are implemented by specific manufacturers. Not all apps will support all tags; in fact, quite the opposite.
03-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Because there is no such thing as a normal TIFF. It's a file format that permits any number of subformats based on tags that are implemented by specific manufacturers. Not all apps will support all tags; in fact, quite the opposite.
Yes but it is still supposed to be a standard (OK, unofficially). Granted problematic at times (mostly I just run into it w/ patent stuff), especially compressed TIFF's.. and if I remember right it was Adobe that created (or at least bought it) and Quicktime is owned by who? And who tries to work together? Sounds like DNG... if at first you don't succeed....
No reason to argue about TIFF's (my version of Corel chokes on some compressed varients).. let others look it up if it is necessary to them.
Tagged Image File Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TIFF was originally created as an attempt to get desktop scanner vendors of the mid-1980s to agree on a common scanned image file format, rather than have each company promote its own proprietary format. In the beginning, TIFF was only a binary image format (only two possible values for each pixel), since that was all that desktop scanners could handle. As scanners became more powerful, and as desktop computer disk space became more plentiful, TIFF grew to accommodate grayscale images, then color images. Today, TIFF is a popular format for high-color-depth images, along with JPEG and PNG. Adobe Systems, which acquired the PageMaker publishing program from Aldus, now controls the TIFF specification..........

QuickTime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia\
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/tiff/index.html
http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/faq.html

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-11-2009 at 02:14 PM.
03-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #104

To those of you studying the patent application, as a long time follower of Apple rumors I'd advise you to read it with a rather large chunk of salt. Of course, maybe Apple is different than Pentax in their patent philosophy, but I've seen dozens of Apple patents show up all over the mac rumor sites over the last 5-6 years without ever seeing a product arise from them. Patent aps rarely ever amount to much, it seems.
03-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
They might have a bunch of high-end glass that they love. The ability to do video with their favorite glass becomes attractive. Consider that to get an HD camcorder with interchangable lenses you're talking a big chunk of money. If one can leverage an existing investment, all the better.
Exactly. Plus, for some commercial uses, it just makes sense. You can save one whole person and a lot of gear if all you want are decent short videos. Photojournalism, for example. Or real estate.

But the new camera will not have video, I wager.

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Why a new lens serie? Because it will have new autofocus SDM compatible with contrast detect AF. A new name is needed to avoid confusing with the older AF lenses that is not compatible with contrast detect AF system.
This whole post is just wild speculation, with nothing to support it in the public announcements. Besides, it is not necessarily true that new lenses would be required to support a new AF system. Unless you have a source?

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
what about it being a whole new mount system so that old lenses do not fit the new body?
forcing people who buy it to buy in to a new lens mount system??
Er, no, sorry. In fact the spokesperson says repeatedly that K-mount is where it's at. Why do people engage in such fantasy?

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Can I dream of a small, sealed, full-featured, easy to use, lightweight, and all-metal dSLR to go with the Limiteds??
I have been dreaming of this as well, and I think Pentax is going to make us very happy. A full article on my interpretations is finished and awaiting publication. No mad flights of fancy, just solid interpretations of the already announced facts.