Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ithink pentax will make it! yes the full frame or use the sensor APS/H,
pentax with the k20 reached the end of aps/c with its 14mpixels.the 4 mpixels make the end to aps/c.so its the full fram which i waited from pentax

03-11-2009, 02:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

An APS-H camera at this point would be the messiest corporate suicide in world history. I don't understand why these rumours persist; a revival of the Pentax 110 system in six attractive colors ("pretty pink", "romantic red", "gorgeous green" etc) would be more likely.
03-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I don't understand why these rumours persist; a revival of the Pentax 110 system in six attractive colors ("pretty pink", "romantic red", "gorgeous green" etc) would be more likely.

and "blue, fabolous bluuue"

NO FF
NO APS.H

3 models with APS-C (entry-level, mid-range and enthusiast-level).
1 MF pro-model
03-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #19

I don't think they will introduce a APS-H, nor a FF (they said that they wouldn't aim on that!)

I'm really interested in what the new concept will be, if it will be like "WHAT!?" or "aha, okay... I see... oh well.." hehe

I just hope that the MF will be released, not that I will be able to use it, but just to know that it will exist.

03-11-2009, 03:08 AM   #20

Original Poster
enty level- green
mid range- yellow
pro- pink

... and just watch all the pros run like crazy to get the new camera!

03-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
blende8, why are you angry? You wanted to use a camera called K30, or maybe you really like the K20D ergonomics and won't settle for anything different?
No, there will be no K30D, but we'll have an alternative. Probably a smaller but very capable, rugged camera, with Pentax-like ergonomics. I must admit, I'm very curious about this... and they are some hints that Pentax is preparing for quite a big step forward
I am not angry.
But I hope that Pentax will not abandon the K10/K20 concept. It is very good. The K20D is an excellent camera. Very little to improve. AF and S/N as always, but else?
"New concept"? What shall that be?
Of course, I am curious as well, but I cannot think of what this big step forward can be.
I hope that Pentax will not introduce gimmicks, but concentrate on serious cameras.
Video? Contrast-AF, EVF? No thanks.

I want continuity.
I am not against new stuff, but there should also be continuity.
Those "interviews" are very vague and contradictory, so we cannot really know what is coming atm. Let's hope the best.
03-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Aye, blende8. I don't want gimmicks, either.

The things I'd liked improve won't have to involve gimmicks, which worries me.
03-11-2009, 05:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I want continuity.
When the MX replaced the KX, it was continuity, but still it was a revolution.
(See Pentax MX - Camerapedia.org for a photo next to the K1000, the short-lived KX was similar in size to the K1000, but with more advanced features of the MX)

03-11-2009, 05:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
When the MX replaced the KX, it was continuity, but still it was a revolution.
I wouldn't call reducing a camera in size a revolution.
I have no problem with the size of the K20, but ok, if the majority wants it smaller ... I accept it. (For my hands the MX is too small.)

I have just read the new translation of the interview and it sounds better than the one I have read before.
03-11-2009, 05:57 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
3 models with APS-C (entry-level, mid-range and enthusiast-level).
1 MF pro-model
$400, $800, $1300 and... $50,000?

Yeah, great idea.
03-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I am not angry.
But I hope that Pentax will not abandon the K10/K20 concept. It is very good. The K20D is an excellent camera. Very little to improve. AF and S/N as always, but else?
"New concept"? What shall that be?
Of course, I am curious as well, but I cannot think of what this big step forward can be.
I hope that Pentax will not introduce gimmicks, but concentrate on serious cameras.
Video? Contrast-AF, EVF? No thanks.

I want continuity.
I am not against new stuff, but there should also be continuity.
Those "interviews" are very vague and contradictory, so we cannot really know what is coming atm. Let's hope the best.
Continuity you said?

Well, Pentax is perhaps the brand which has introduced the most "concepts" change in the history of photography:

Let's see, starting from the K-mount debut in the mid-70s:
K series, M series, A series, P series, SF series, Z series, MZ series, *ist series, *istD series, KD series.

That's 10 series in 30 years or, a new "concept" every 3 years if you prefer...

Wasn't the first digital K camera issued 3 years ago...? Time for a concept change!!

Now look at Nikon for instance: Nikon F series has been replaced by the D series when digital arrived. Look at the F100 and compare it to the D300: not much of a change in look/interface/ergonomy is it?

Pentax just doesn't work this way, they periodically change the look/size/interface of their camera and call this "new concepts", they just don't go on developping the same concept, increasing its performances but keeping much of the rest the same like N&C do.

They take a concept, work it up to a certain level of performances (generally mid-range: K20D, MZ-S or Z1-P are good examples) and then start over with a different one.

The don't go straight, they advance like crabs: sideways...

Yes! Pentax are the crabs of photography!!!

The downside of it is that people who are looking for constant increase of performances on a "fixed geometry" will generally be deceived after a few (4-5) years if the new concept doesn't fit them (it happened to me when they moved from the Z series to the MZ series, I think we have the same problem with small cameras...) but three things are important to note:

1/ They might advance in a different way than the "mainstream" guys but still: they advance!

2/The next concept might suit you better than the present one... or not! That's the risk of being innovative!

and 3/ There is some kind of cyclicity in this process (for example the return of the "large" K**D series after the smallish MZ-*ist series) so eventually, a very patient customer will find a fitting shoe...
03-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #27

[QUOTE=blende8;520185]I wouldn't call reducing a camera in size a revolution.
I have no problem with the size of the K20, but ok, if the majority wants it smaller ... I accept it. (For my hands the MX is too small.)

QUOTE]

agree with you there - I have large hands and without the battery grip attached, it feels very small in my hands..
so whatever they come up with, I hope it takes the same battery grip or they have one available from the start..
i photograph in very windy conditions so prefer to have something heavier in the hands to hold steady.
03-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I wouldn't call reducing a camera in size a revolution.

I have just read the new translation of the interview and it sounds better than the one I have read before.
The MX was also more advanced than the KX, it had a new and very sensitive metering system. But the size reduction was really shocking at that time, despite the fact that the OM-1 had already been on the market for a while. I think the MX was lower than the OM-1, and (important at that time!) it added an aperture window in the pentaprism house.

I have large hands myself, but never had any problem operating the MX or ME Super (or the LX, but I had the small grip on that one) with small lenses. If they're bringing out a really small camera, I think it would make sense to make a vertical grip that also included an extension of the horizontal grip, for use with larger and heavier lenses.

Anyway, I agree with you that the new translation looks promising. It seems that we will get a camera with the looks and the build quality of the limited lenses!
03-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
1/ They might advance in a different way than the "mainstream" guys but still: they advance!

2/The next concept might suit you better than the present one... or not! That's the risk of being innovative!
That's right! Well put.

I must admit that I am a more conservative person in photography.
The inovation cycles are a little too fast for me.
I just got used to the K10/K20 system ...

But I will try to advance ...

03-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Entry level - K-m
Popular class - K200D
Enthusiast/advanced amateur/Semi pro - K20D

I thought that news about a new enthusiast camera would be welcomed by this forum, but instead I see the normal negative comments and criticism. Why are Pentaxians so afraid of changes? Pentax needs to move forward.

Personally I am thrilled and awaits the new enthusiast level camera with excitement.
A new design instead of another incarnation of the K10D/K20D body styling, is fine with me.

But isn't it funny. When *ist D was discontinued and we got K10D, many here was displeased with the K10D design because it was so different from the *ist D. And now that Pentax is about to change it for something new, the K10D/K20D design is something users here wants!

But, just like *ist-serie died in favour of the K-serie, users will adjust themselves to the new.

However, it could be a dead of the numbering.
K-m did show a change in name. It was K2000D only in US.
New cameras could be K-p or perhaps K-e or K-v or whatever.
Or not K at all. How about... Y?