Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Nonetheless, what if it had a "gripless" design echoing the older cameras, similar to the current Olympus E-410 and 420 models (which I and many others find very easy to grip) but with a switchable hand grip more like the ones we have now for better grip and extra battery capacity. You just screw it on the front, and suddenly you have a traditional DSLR grip. That might help make it a bit more compact.
They just need to take out the flash and the grip and it will make the camera a lot better looking.

Come on you guys are not making predictions?

03-12-2009, 05:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds to me that we might be getting a digital LX like camera.

The LX is small-ish but it isn't teeny tiny by any means.

LX: 144.5 x 90.5 x 50
KM: 122.5 x 91.5 x 67.5

In terms of volume its a lot smaller than the KM I agree but a lot of this volume is because of the KM's AA batteries.

Increase the size of the LX slightly in all dimensions and use a nice high-capcity/high-density Lithium ion or polymer battery and you might be able to cram in the required electronics and SR.

I'm thinking more LX in terms of design cues/inspiration rather than literally a digital LX (that probably wouldn't be possible).

One could proabably design an external grip that adds both a vertical grip whilst supplementing the horizontal grip to make a more substantial machine (in the K20D vein).
03-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think what we should do is, each of us contribute and buy out Hoya/Pentax! Yay! Our dream cameras would be made via polling, then when everyone agrees, we make our own camera! All of us are customers, we can't lose!

Seriously, I like the idea of a digital camera in the LX mold. Not exactly like, but inspired by - as caat said. Just like the Ford Mustang of today being inspired by the Mustang of old, not like the Mustang of the 90's...
03-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
remember this ?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Pentax/IMG_0409.jpg

Pentax: Photokina 2006 Show Report: Digital Photography Review

03-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think they're moving upmarket...

I think they are about to release a jewel of a body to go with the Limited lenses at long last, probably really small but very high performance. I think they are going to go after the well-heeled market with a serious move into the stratosphere of prices, but still with great value. I hope it's weather sealed as well, and I hope they do that to ALL of their lenses and flash units.

And bring out a 135mm f2.8 or better Limited!

Cheers,
Cameron
03-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
And bring out a 135mm f2.8 or better Limited!

Cheers,
Cameron

how about a 135mm F1.8 or F1.4...!!!!

you'd see the canikon owners grabbing grinders and welding machines just to make that lens fit to their bodies!!!
03-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
how about a 135mm F1.8 or F1.4...!!!!
That would be cool, but probably not as a limited, if they make a 135mm limited, it should be amazingly small - i.e. not so fast, maybe 3.5 like the old M-135/3.5.
03-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote

I think this is shaping up to a very interesting year. And I love predictions. Here is my takes on these ambiguous hints:
------------------------------------------------------------
* The new K20D, K200D follow ups will build on the smaller K-M chassis. They will be called "K-X" and "K-E" or "K-V".

* The new features on the "K-X" mount will be continuous AF when taking video and stepless aperture ring. In other words, the new features of the Panasonic GH1.

* The fable 60-250 and teleconverter will be reintroduced with the continuous AF and stepless aperture ring features.
Most of the responses have been more of a wish list rather than predictions of what we think Pentax will do. My guess is they have decided they might be able to grab off some of the NX business by producing units similar in feature set but based on the K-M body size. LV, CDFA, and PDFA will be incorporated along with new lenses that take advantage of these new features. There might even be two models, entry level and advanced amature. The PDAF and low light focusing may or may not be improved over the K20D.

They will sell it as a "Real" dslr with a size near the NX type units. How well they implament the new AF systems and low light capacity will determine if I will find it a good personal fit.

03-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Compact bodies are overated. I'm not a big guy and handling the G1 for 3 months was enough for me. It's grip was not tall enough for my hands and the front dial (which by pressing it changes the EV) was a pain to avoid. Putting long zooms on a small bodies just doesn't make sense does it? Even Limited lenses on a small body would make for potential discomfort in overall handling and usage. K100D, 200D or slightly larger size is perfect.
Marketing the "compact" size is not always a good idea. Let Samsung do their NX thing, let Pentax make 'standard size' dSLRs.
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sebbe_J Quote
It would be great if the new names of the models would be based on ME, MX, MV, MG and so on. I think it would be a good idea since it seems like the new concept is smaller, rugged bodies

Just a thought..

S
My vote goes to "MX-D" for the name of the K20D "replacement that is not quite a replacement but close enough"!
03-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #26
Inactive Account

The K-mount is what makes Pentax more versatile in its line up over the others. Who else can use virtually all their lenses without an adapter? Nobody. "K" should still be in the front.

How about K-MV for the K200D replacement and K-MX for the K20D replacement.
03-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
The K-mount is what makes Pentax more versatile in its line up over the others. Who else can use virtually all their lenses without an adapter? Nobody.
Hmmm, Nikon users can too.
03-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I stand corrected. I should have included the any lens becomes stabilized benefit as well.
03-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

But isn't it that Nikon can only use lenses up to a certain date or something? Not virtually all, but only up to the 80's lenses or something? I'm not sure though...

Another company is Leica, though they can't compete with Pentax's sheer number of lenses available.
03-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #30
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Well, that would depend on the camera they own...

Isn't the D300 the lowest body with true backward compatibility? I lost track.