Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
Well, that would depend on the camera they own...

Isn't the D300 the lowest body with true backward compatibility? I lost track.
D40, D40x, D60 don't have true compatibility, and even the D80 can't use AI-S lenses and meter.

When I had the D80 I found a mint, never used AI-S 200mm f/4 and it couldn't meter with it. However, the D200 and Fuji counter part could.

03-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Compact bodies are overated. I'm not a big guy and handling the G1 for 3 months was enough for me. It's grip was not tall enough for my hands and the front dial (which by pressing it changes the EV) was a pain to avoid. Putting long zooms on a small bodies just doesn't make sense does it? Even Limited lenses on a small body would make for potential discomfort in overall handling and usage. K100D, 200D or slightly larger size is perfect.
Marketing the "compact" size is not always a good idea. Let Samsung do their NX thing, let Pentax make 'standard size' dSLRs.
It's probably overrated for your tastes, but the buzz garnered by the G1 and NX speaks volumes about how a lot of people want a compact interchangeable-lens camera to sling around everyday. Horses for courses, really, though I also agree with you that the K100D is a good body size for me, until I see a smaller DSLR (no EVFs for me in the short term) with similar handling.
03-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, overrated is relative. Some find DSLR's overrated, some find RAW overrated, some find JPEG overrated and some find compact bodies overrated, etc., etc... Whatever is popular either gets branded cool or overrated. I say build them all and let consumers decide. Big ones, small ones, cheap ones, expensive ones, one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...
03-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I'm leaning away from G1 again...

I like the idea of G1: Articulated viewscreen that becomes a digital back for a few abandoned mount lenses I still own. But having full frame inhand and k Mount dslrs its really not a need for me to get it. I have no store locally that carry it so I got to buy one to see whats up. I think Id rather get a wimberley gimbal head for my 300mm 2.8 for $50 less. I've got thier sidekick and its not as mindless to use as the full gimbal. So for me the G1 will loose out to a non dslr choice, again. Still fun to read about though.

Anyways, for me I see the popularity of G1 resting with misfit mount lens owners and not due to its size. I'd be on top of it if it were full frame irregrdless of size. That would be SWEET. If I shot film up till now and not ever bought any dslr I'd already own G1 with its 2x crop. Having dslrs makes it more of a curiousity to me. I can easily wait for HD version to get priced and launch and drop in cost.

The size thing for me is overrated. My K20D is a tad bit smaller than my 5D. So I guess this reality is why pentax wants to go smaller with a pro-spec type product. Hopefully they put the dual card slots in it.

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
It's probably overrated for your tastes, but the buzz garnered by the G1 and NX speaks volumes about how a lot of people want a compact interchangeable-lens camera to sling around everyday. Horses for courses, really, though I also agree with you that the K100D is a good body size for me, until I see a smaller DSLR (no EVFs for me in the short term) with similar handling.

03-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I think they are about to release a jewel of a body to go with the Limited lenses at long last, probably really small but very high performance.
Man, I do and I don't hope you're right. I do hope you're right because I would LOVE a camera like that and I think it would vault Pentax over Nikon and Canon and into a territory where nobody but Leica currently resides. However, I don't hope you're right because if they did build a such a camera and I couldn't afford it, I would be miserable.
03-13-2009, 04:33 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

I agree with ajuett personally, I bought my first dSLR 12 months ago. I went for the K10D because of the way that it handled - if the new range of cameras are to be as small as the K2000/KM then it will be time to switch systems but we will just have to wait and see, maybe the new camera will be suitable.
03-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
I agree with ajuett personally, I bought my first dSLR 12 months ago. I went for the K10D because of the way that it handled - if the new range of cameras are to be as small as the K2000/KM then it will be time to switch systems but we will just have to wait and see, maybe the new camera will be suitable.
A small grip should cure that problem.
03-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I hope so - I don't want to sound so melodramatic, but this really was the big thing for me when I bought my K10D. At the time for the money the other options were the Canon 400D (Rebel) or the Nikon D40x, now that I know a little more about cameras I realise that the Pentax was the right option for a number of reasons, but I'm sure those cameras would still be capable of great photo's and if they had felt right I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with those.

Like I said, will just have to wait and see - I'm more than happy for Pentax to prove me wrong!

03-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Anyways, for me I see the popularity of G1 resting with misfit mount lens owners and not due to its size. I'd be on top of it if it were full frame irregrdless of size. That would be SWEET. If I shot film up till now and not ever bought any dslr I'd already own G1 with its 2x crop. Having dslrs makes it more of a curiousity to me. I can easily wait for HD version to get priced and launch and drop in cost.
Well, you have a point about abandoned mount lenses, and I do think m4/3 in general will sell to those people, but there still was a sizeable buzz even before images popped over the internet about adapters being made for all sorts of lenses.

There's probably already a market ready to buy a m4/3 camera, but the price puts people off for the most part. The one with HD video might + stepless aperture lenses might convince more people to part with their money, though (again, depends on price ).

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
I hope so - I don't want to sound so melodramatic, but this really was the big thing for me when I bought my K10D. At the time for the money the other options were the Canon 400D (Rebel) or the Nikon D40x, now that I know a little more about cameras I realise that the Pentax was the right option for a number of reasons, but I'm sure those cameras would still be capable of great photo's and if they had felt right I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with those.

Like I said, will just have to wait and see - I'm more than happy for Pentax to prove me wrong!
In my short time handling the K-m in a store, it doesn't seem overly small for my tastes, though I did find myself glancing on top of the camera, expecting a top LCD that's nonexistent on that model. Other than that, it felt okay in my hands.

If ever Pentax goes small, I just hope they'd put in that top LCD on their middle and top models. I'm used to it and it saves battery power.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Agreed.
03-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #40
Veteran Member

* The new K20D, K200D follow ups will build on the smaller K-M chassis. They will be called "K-X" and "K-E" or "K-V".

Roland Mabo has said at dpreview that the new camera will not be as small as the Km/k2000, as it cannot possibly house all of its applications into such a small body. The new camera would be a bit smaller than the k10/k20 though.
03-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
* The new K20D, K200D follow ups will build on the smaller K-M chassis. They will be called "K-X" and "K-E" or "K-V".

Roland Mabo has said at dpreview that the new camera will not be as small as the Km/k2000, as it cannot possibly house all of its applications into such a small body. The new camera would be a bit smaller than the k10/k20 though.
If Roland said it, then it must be true right?

AFAIK Roland is just reasoning from different bits and pieces of "official" informations.

His reasoning are nice and logical and may be 100% accurate... or not!
03-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
In case you guys missed it, some
What, no K-Y ?
03-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Yes I get your point, nonetheless Roland makes a bit more sense than so many jokers with their arms-length wish-list prophecies.

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
If Roland said it, then it must be true right?

AFAIK Roland is just reasoning from different bits and pieces of "official" informations.

His reasoning are nice and logical and may be 100% accurate... or not!
03-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #44

I predict Pentax will be alive, mean and lean for 2009. The 645D will be available through their Pro program to photographers world wide due to tremendous demand.

All new Pentax cameras will write to faster memory utilizing the relationship with IC leader Samsung.

People will moan here when Pentax adopts holographic emitters to project images in a pop-up HUD thus eliminating the eyepiece, pentaprism and LCD display... Damn, I was not supposed to let that out!
03-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #45
Veteran Member

If they make a small camera to fit the limited lenses, it doesn't make sense to make it weather-sealed? If they plan to design new, weather-sealed lenses, I guess it would be hard to keep them as compact as the current limiteds.