Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #1

Anyone game for a Pentax 2009 prediction here?

In case you guys missed it, some Pentax suit just did a interview with Impress Watch and unleashed alot of juicy info.

【PMA09】「K20D」とは違ったコンセプトの新型一眼レフを今夏に投入

Thanks to Kimpira for the translation
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/520089-post60.html

They finally threw us some bones after so many completely useless English interviews.

Amoung the rampant rumors we learn:
* The K20D follow up will show up summer this year. The K200D follow up will be avaiable at the end of this year

* K20D follow up will not called K30D.

* Neither Pentax nor Sigma is making lens for Samsung's NX system, in fact the mount of the NX system is not finalized yet.

* There will be some new feature added on the mount of the K20D follow up, and new DA lenses will implement corresponding new functions on the lenses.

* 645D is coming, japan only (well we all know that.)

I think this is shaping up to a very interesting year. And I love predictions. Here is my takes on these ambiguous hints:
------------------------------------------------------------
* The new K20D, K200D follow ups will build on the smaller K-M chassis. They will be called "K-X" and "K-E" or "K-V".

* The new features on the "K-X" mount will be continuous AF when taking video and stepless aperture ring. In other words, the new features of the Panasonic GH1.

* The NX system/mount will have minimum competibility with the current K mount. And it signals the formal departure of Pentax and Samsung. They partnership will only remain in the sensor department. There won't be any new Samsung K mount DSLR.

* The fable 60-250 and teleconverter will be reintroduced with the continuous AF and stepless aperture ring features.

* We won't hear any FF rumor for this year.

* Pentax 645D will be avaiable for a price very close to the other MF competitor. In other words, no a bargin.

That's it, let's here you versions. Last time I made a thread I said Pentax will announce a FF body in Photokina 2010. I still stand by my prediction.

03-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
* The new K20D, K200D follow ups will build on the smaller K-M chassis. They will be called "K-X" and "K-E" or "K-V".

It would be great if the new names of the models would be based on ME, MX, MV, MG and so on. I think it would be a good idea since it seems like the new concept is smaller, rugged bodies

Just a thought..

S
03-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He hints at a "limited-like" design. I think that the size will be K-m-ish, but that the looks may be different. And I hope they keep a top LCD.

QuoteQuote:
* The new features on the "K-X" mount will be continuous AF when taking video and stepless aperture ring. In other words, the new features of the Panasonic GH1.
This is highly probable, I think. They may also follow Panasonic and introduce a special lens for video - a super-silent weather proof super zoom specifically designed to work well with video.

QuoteQuote:
* The fable 60-250 and teleconverter will be reintroduced with the continuous AF and stepless aperture ring features.
The 60-250 hasn't been removed from the road map. The pentax.jp site says it will arrive soon.
03-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

In case you guys missed it, some Pentax suit just did a interview with Impress Watch and unleashed alot of juicy info.

�yPMA09�z�uK20D�v‚ニ‚ヘˆ‚チ‚スƒRƒ“ƒZƒvƒg‚フ�VŒ^ˆŠƒŒƒt‚�。‰ト‚ノ“Š“

Thanks to Kimpira for the translation
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/520089-post60.html

That's it, let's here you versions. Last time I made a thread I said Pentax will announce a FF body in Photokina 2010. I still stand by my prediction.
is this thread not enough?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/53558-hoya-pentax-answ...ur-future.html

03-12-2009, 02:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sebbe_J Quote
It would be great if the new names of the models would be based on ME, MX, MV, MG and so on. I think it would be a good idea since it seems like the new concept is smaller, rugged bodies

Just a thought..

S
I thought just the same...and it's posible that it could be that way too
03-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would really, really love it if they came out with a body made of metal and made to last -- a DSLR, at last, that feels like a piece of precision engineered quality and not like a piece of consumer electronics to be replaced every third year. Time is about mature for doing this, too. I understand that there used to be no sense in making super-sturdy DSLR's because the tech was still maturing, but APS-C technology is coming to a point where it's "good enough" that people like me won't need any more upgrades. The 14.6 MP CMOS sensor is good enough for any reasonable enthusiast use, so if they got this RIGHT and built it really durable-like it could be one of those "keep it for 20 years" bodies that used to be the norm back in the 70's.
03-12-2009, 02:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Since the suit mentions smaller bodies and a "limited-like" design, here's hoping they introduce a camera body similar to the old film bodies like LX, MX, ME, etc... much like what Leica did to their M8. A digital camera in a film-like body. Small, tough and appealing to hard-core Pentax users...

edit: like what Erik says, a body that would last... 14mp is good enough. For the pros looking for more MP's, the 645D is the way to go then.

As an aside, I am longing for such a camera that I am close to selling most my stuff to finance a nice M8.2 body with a 35/2 lens. I;ll hold out and hope Pentax surprises me!

Last edited by leadbelly; 03-12-2009 at 02:45 AM.
03-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Since the suit mentions smaller bodies and a "limited-like" design, here's hoping they introduce a camera body similar to the old film bodies like LX, MX, ME, etc... much like what Leica did to their M8. A digital camera in a film-like body. Small, tough and appealing to hard-core Pentax users...
A bit like the MZ-SD even? I think that boat has maybe sailed.

I don't think that a ME-Super body, fantastic though it was, could hold all the gubbins required for a DSLR; and think of the weight.
03-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

well, the M8 is bulkier than the M7... maybe a tad thicker than the K1000? but you're right, if they make this type of camera, surely they wouldn't be able to cram the features we've gotten used to (SR, DR, twin wheels, etc.) it would have to be a basic no-frills camera just for taking pictures the old way. compose, focus, a little fiddling with the settings, click...
03-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
if they make this type of camera, surely they wouldn't be able to cram the features we've gotten used to (SR, DR, twin wheels, etc.) it would have to be a basic no-frills camera just for taking pictures the old way. compose, focus, a little fiddling with the settings, click...
And I would get one as fast as possible
03-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nonetheless, what if it had a "gripless" design echoing the older cameras, similar to the current Olympus E-410 and 420 models (which I and many others find very easy to grip) but with a switchable hand grip more like the ones we have now for better grip and extra battery capacity. You just screw it on the front, and suddenly you have a traditional DSLR grip. That might help make it a bit more compact.
03-12-2009, 03:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

But where would they put the battery? Right now, it resides in the grip and I think that's the best solution (for a compact design).
03-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
...APS-C technology is coming to a point where it's "good enough" that people like me won't need any more upgrades. The 14.6 MP CMOS sensor is good enough for any reasonable enthusiast use, so if they got this RIGHT and built it really durable-like it could be one of those "keep it for 20 years" bodies that used to be the norm back in the 70's.
I totally agree with this. The current resolution of APS-C cameras (particularly at low ASA's) is more than enough for any use I might have for my pics.
03-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New features

Weatherproofing was what got me into Pentax in the first place so I hope that all the talk of robust design might actually go the next step and include waterproofing.
OK... not a prediction, just a dream, but it could explain the talk of new mount features.
03-12-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Nonetheless, what if it had a "gripless" design echoing the older cameras, similar to the current Olympus E-410 and 420 models (which I and many others find very easy to grip) but with a switchable hand grip more like the ones we have now for better grip and extra battery capacity. You just screw it on the front, and suddenly you have a traditional DSLR grip. That might help make it a bit more compact.
I would LOVE that. Camera's are too big, black and bulky these days. The Olympus cameras are to my eyes and hands the best designed DSLR cameras currently available. I would have gone with Olympus instead of Pentax, honestly, if not for the 4/3 system and its lack of lens options.