Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #1

Pentax advertises at Kauffman Stadium (home of Kansas City Royals)

Not a very big deal, but today I was watching ESPN Sportscenter baseball highlights of yesterday's Boston Redsox vs. Kansas City Royals game. The game was widely publicized here in the States because it's the first pitching appearance of the official season for Japanese pitching phenom, Daisuke Matsuzaka.

Now baseball fans would probably know that the 1st row wall, behind homeplate is where large advertisement banners are posted, like they do around the stadiums in other sports venues, e.g. soccer, etc., however in baseball this is "prime real estate" because this is arguably the most focused on television camera view which makes the banner(s) prominent.

So, long story short, as Daisuke was pitching there was a large red and black PENTAX banner easily viewable! This may be nothing major to some, but it is good to know that Pentax is advertising in major sporting venues. Now, I'm not sure if the game was televised nationally here in the States, but it was an well-hyped game that was at least televised in Boston and Kansas City, and I believe JAPAN! Also, it made it on ESPN Sportcenter which is national b/c it's cable tv and is shown throughout the day.

The only downside is that the Redsox won and Daisuke looks like he's gonna be a Yankee killer :-) (Yes, I'm a Yankee fan!)

Bori

04-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You had me until you mentioned that NY team .... See avitar .... I did not get to watch the game but listen to most of it. I noticed in highlights lots of signs in Japanese. Have a feel this will be the norm when Dice K picthes. Wish I had caught the Pentax sign and will look for one at Fenway when I am there next week.
04-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Wish I had caught the Pentax sign and will look for one at Fenway when I am there next week.
It will be digitally replaced with a Nikon sign.

-E (who roots for most NL teams, except the Mets)
04-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Bori,
I'm glad you mentioned that - I caught 1 inning of the game yesterday on TV and happened to see the bright red PENTAX banner - "did I see that right" I asked myself.

I was going to post about it but totally fanned on it. (just slipped my mind)

With the money they paid for him, he better be a Yankee killer. =)

I'm a RS fan, hey, my son was born the year they won the World Series, it's all because of him, the players had nothing to do with it.

(also a fan of the Pirates, hoping someday they'll have a better-than-.500 season)

That's enough of my yapping...
-Dan

04-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think that is a rotating sign. You get one inning and another banner rolls up. Maybe you will see more when Dice-K pitches since all those games are being televised in Japan. The only time I'll see them is when the Tigers play because that's the only games I watch.

Regards,
04-08-2007, 05:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with regken. Pentax IS making a renaissance in Japan, so I guess they're going all-out in promoting the brand, which is good!

That's probably for the Japanese viewers, but then it wouldn't hurt to sell the brand to Americans as well.

On a semi-related note, anybody got an over-under for the number of Japanese media credentials handed out by the Red Sox?

In as much as I'm a Yankee fan, I'm very intrigued at how the ~$102-million wunderkind pans out. So far, so good.