Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k2000 reviewed by ARS

Pentax K2000 gets tested

Those who own this camera can provide your input here.

03-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good grief!

My emphasis:

QuoteQuote:
Lows:
No HD video; average color quality; no multi-format flash support; lacks a touch screen
Serious photographers will balk right away at the K2000’s unusual body design, but it’s easy to adjust to the differences. For example, the on-off switch is located in the exact same position as the zoom on most DSLRs, so at first you might find yourself reaching to zoom and switching the camera off by mistake.
ISO is one of those benchmark indicators – it relates to lens speed, and like the speed of a router or the PC under your desk can determine what you can do with the camera.
With shutter operates as fast as 1/4000, and as slow as 30 seconds, it’s highly versatile. The motor on the camera just runs solid and fast.
Playback on the device is a bit awkward. You press the play button, and you’ll see a thumbnail and some specs for that shot. We’d prefer a default full-screen view, and a way to see specs if you want.
Suddenly DPReview's reviews aren't looking quite as dopey. Are they serious? What a ridiculous review. No touch screen? On/off in the same place as most DSLRs?????????? ISO = lens speed? Shutter speed = motor? The guy can't figure out how to change playback views? Oh, and the paged linked to above claims that the review is for a Sharp Aquos LC-46D65U HDTV.

I don't know what's more depressing, that this guy is allowed to review cameras, or that he actually liked the K2000!
03-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

That is the frakkin dumbest review (of any camera) I've ever read! Is this the first dSLR he's ever used?! Seriously!! The K-m is my first dSLR so I have nothing to compare it to, but the list of cons the reviewer lists just don't make sense. Lack of hd video? What's he comparing it to? Nikon d90. "Playback on the device is a bit awkward." WTF! Touchscreen? My gf's Sony T700 p&s has touchscreen, but I've never met a person who owned a dSLR who wanted a touchscreen menu. "No multi-flash support." Who cares!?

I'm surprised this guy even gave the K-m 7.5/10. Go figure.
03-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
cyg

Oh my.... How embarrassing!

03-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We often times tend to regard "reviews" as coming from reliable, wisened sources, when often they're just a guy spending an afternoon with a lens or camera. I know probably a couple dozen members of this forum alone who have more experience and general insight than that reviewer.
03-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think almost all members of this forum do.
03-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

This is sorta unrelated, but a good place to say it...I LOVE where the power switch is on Pentax. I borrowed a friends Canon once (Long before I got my Pentax) and kept missing shots because A - You try to take a picture, only to realize the camera is off and B - The power switch is nearly impossible to get to (on a Canon) once the camera is up on your face.

03-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
We often times tend to regard "reviews" as coming from reliable, wisened sources, when often they're just a guy spending an afternoon with a lens or camera. I know probably a couple dozen members of this forum alone who have more experience and general insight than that reviewer.
I think these are the kind of reviews that the camera companies are going to listen to for their entry level kits. The review itself seemed skewed towards the lack of gadgets (touch screens) and things that can be adjusted if the user dares enter the menus. The people that are influenced by these reviews probably don't want to adjust colour, that's why the modes got a thumbs up. That kind of stuff is probably where his field of expertise lies.

Imagine if we were to try and decide what was trendy - Manual Focus, Old Lenses (always trendy for us), Optical Viewfinder. I think we'd fail miserably.
03-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #9

That review is a classic piece of comedy.

Can't begin to understand his reasoning.

Shooting directly into the sun, with a bunch of white snow in front, and deep shadows, then complains that it "lacked colour?"

No touch screen? There's a DSLR out there WITH a touch screen? There's bugger all P&S cameras that have touch screens, let alone a DSLR. (Side note: I hope this touch screen mania dies a painful death. Every electronics device in the world does NOT need a touch screen people!)

Support for multiple media types? The only DSLRs that do that is ones that try to keep on using a proprietry format that everyone else wishes dead. Just about all entry level cameras and P&S use SD cards.

Missing HD video too, because uh, so many DSLR's have that as well. Like, 2 of them? And they don't actually work that well?

The guy wavers between sounding like he actually knows something about digital cameras, to wildly going off track and bitching about things that no DSLR has, but an entry level unit should have.

Classic.
03-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I'll bet the guy knows about being told to get a DSLR. I'm guessing until he did the D90 review, he had no idea what the hell the "SLR" in "DSLR" stood for. The "D" was obvious, as he's a tech writer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho:
Suddenly DPReview's reviews aren't looking quite as dopey.
Aye. DPR maybe as biased as all get out, but at least they know the terminology and how to test a lens.

This a big beef I have with all tech websites (and a few print magazines, but they're nowhere near as numerous) - that they have a lot of tech writers, but very few journalists. No people who know what they're doing, or know what sort of dedication is needed.

A couple of years ago, a tech mag I occasionally buy started reviewing DSLRs - and we're not just talking bridge or consumer cams, but I saw one for the Canon IDs.

I think the prevailing philosophy is that if "digital" or got an IC in it or can be plugged into a computer, then by all means you're qualified to accurately review it. It's all transistors, anyway - what's the difference between a camera and graphics card?

Cameras nowadays are at that funny crossroads, on the corner of Nerd Street and Art Avenue. They're in the overlap on the Venn diagram.

And that's why it's important not to pay too much heed to these sort of reviews: they're mostly done by nerds who live in digital world where price/performance is generally a pretty proportionate relationship. They're too analytical, not that creative, and rather than seeing what they can do with, they'll dismiss it out of hand if it doesn't tick all the boxes. It's easier to measure megapixels and frame rates than find out what you can do with it. Easier to attach yourself to something concrete than abstract. Of course, there're all shades in between.

It's a classic nerd review - how do you measure "colour quality"? Not saturation or gradation, but just colour "quality".

Anyway, rant over - seriously - "fast motor"? Like a rocket?
03-16-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Anyway, rant over - seriously - "fast motor"? Like a rocket?
Didn't you know? The K2000 comes standard with a scramjet and assorted paraphernalia.
03-16-2009, 02:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
ISO is one of those benchmark indicators – it relates to lens speed, and like the speed of a router or the PC under your desk can determine what you can do with the camera.
Pure genius!
03-16-2009, 04:22 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Didn't you know? The K2000 comes standard with a scramjet and assorted paraphernalia.
Ah. So you launch 'em into space and make your very own surveillence satellite network.

And that photo, shot DIRECTLY INTO THE SUN, ON SNOW. They should've followed this logic when testing the camera's durability: "We dropped the camera off a forty-storey building, and were very disappointed to find that the K2000 couldn't handle this sort of situation. Also, it doesn't seem to like being immersed in sulphuric acid - the plastic used in the body shell, as with most of the camera, simply dissolved..."
03-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Pentax K2000 gets tested

Those who own this camera can provide your input here.

"ISO is one of those benchmark indicators – it relates to lens speed, and like the speed of a router or the PC under your desk can determine what you can do with the camera"
.??? WTF!!! These people no dip shit about photography. What a waste of my time reading this. I could have done something better, like feeling up my girlfriend...

Ben
03-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cons:
No HD video
Color quality was just okay
No multi-format flash support
Had problems in low-light, no-flash conditions
Lacks a touch screen

It's really funny CONS