Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Blah. I'm still shooting with a 50-year-old Spotmatic, a 33-year-old K1000, and a 30-year-old ME Super. Even if Pentax disappeared today, there's enough gear on the used market to keep me happy for the rest of my life. Even my *istDL will still be producing great images in 2020 (assuming it doesn't break). No worries.
Digital photography is something different.

03-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
Digital photography is something different.
The *istDL I mentioned isn't digital? What did I miss??
03-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
The *istDL I mentioned isn't digital? What did I miss??
It is, but look at high iso performance, when you earn money for your photos, you need gear which is not worse then C or N, so this is future I need. I hope pentax will exists long time with new new gear.
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
when you earn money for your photos, you need gear which is not worse then C or N.
I could debate that, but I understand your thinking. If you stick with one of the big two, you stand a better chance of competing with other photographers. There are some of us, though, who only compete with ourselves...

03-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #35
Inactive Account

This is a disaster.
Unfortunately, I smell that is the begining of THE END.
Slowly, Hoya will close the Pentax camera business... it's a matter of time now. Maybe in one or two years, or maybe just in a few months from now.
03-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The article didn't mention anything about the manufacturing jobs, just some white collar positions. It looks like they are getting rid of the deadwood.
Deadwood=White collar...ah c'mon.
03-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #37

Just take photo and we will see
03-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
way harsh, dude

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The article didn't mention anything about the manufacturing jobs, just some white collar positions. It looks like they are getting rid of the deadwood.
Like the man once said, it's a recession if it happens to you but it's a depression if it happens to me. A little cavalier talking about people who lost their jobs, and maybe their careers, as deadwood. These could be good, hard working folks who got caught up in a bad situation. Why not cut them a little slack,
Brian

03-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
^ Even in the (extremely improbable IMO) hypothetical case that Pentax just disappeared and nobody purchased its assets (lenses know-how, K mount, camera making, interface, etc), still the K10D I purchased a couple of years ago would still be a damn fine camera for the price, a solid tool to make good photographs that would work for many years and more than compensate my investment on it.

But further: IF Pentax died as independent brand, the worst possibility I can imagine is their assets being purchased by some strong electronics company, Samsung being first in row. Which is exactly what happened with Minolta and Sony.
Good, thinking comment. I think what you say makes sense. If in the unlikely event Pentax came to a close...I do think a large electronic manufacturer like Samsung would pull a Sony ie; when they took over Minolta. There's lots of good assets there..even the Pentax name has has a lot of pull, not as much as it once did...but still a strong market icon.

Do you see many Minolta users unhappy? I do not, and the A900 looks a terrific camera for the price.True....I think the same would happen, if Hoya were to close down Pentax.

So whatever the future holds for Pentax, I'm not worried for its ecosystem at all.
I agree...and good sensible post.

As a side note to the posters...re: " Sky is falling..." comments....enough already with this simplistic and overdone, continual response...
03-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
This is a disaster.
Unfortunately, I smell that is the begining of THE END.
Slowly, Hoya will close the Pentax camera business... it's a matter of time now. Maybe in one or two years, or maybe just in a few months from now.
I don't know...Hoya is a business..I don't think they bought Pentax a short time ago, just to close it down....I don't see the rationale.
03-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't know...Hoya is a business..I don't think they bought Pentax a short time ago, just to close it down....I don't see the rationale.
They bought it for the medical imaging division. If they close a part of it down, I hope it's the P&S division about which I couldn't care less.
03-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I agree with the sentiment that even "if" Pentax goes away completely that our cams will still take great photos. What has me worried (and is different with digicams vs film cams) is that when they do break it will probably be almost impossible (or cost prohibitive) to fix. With mostly mechanical cams people could fix them much easier, with digi cams you may need circuit boards, sensors ect. that traditional camera repair shops won't be able to fix.

Something else that could happen if Hoya does decide to sell. The buyer could decide to axe the camera side and keep the glass side of things. Maybe even a 3rd party glass maker (Sigma ect) would see a huge up side to using Pentax glass for their offerings.

Just some random thoughts

John
03-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Like the man once said, it's a recession if it happens to you but it's a depression if it happens to me. A little cavalier talking about people who lost their jobs, and maybe their careers, as deadwood. These could be good, hard working folks who got caught up in a bad situation. Why not cut them a little slack,
Brian
I'm not saying its a good thing that folks are loosing their jobs and i'm not using deadwood as meaning they weren't competent workers but every company has departments which as time goes by become no longer necessary. To survive in the market place they have to become a little leaner, more efficient. The article mentions they are trying eleminate most positions by not replacing retiring employees. No company wants to loose good people to the competition because that can burn them in the end. It appears that Hoya is making an attempt to not have to fire or lay off too many. Its a scary time and all of us have to be worried a little.
03-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
In reply to reeftool's comment:

Well, taking into account the recent weakening of the UK £ against the Japanese ¥, a quick check online to my chosen supplier reveals that Sigma's 10-20mm has risen to an eye-watering £399.00, whereas last year it was available for a bargain-basement £289.00. By any stretch of the imagination, that effectively amounts to a 25% price increase, or at least that's what it feels like to me !!

Best regards
Richard
Exchange rates are things Pentax and Sigma can't control. I don't think either company wants to jack up prices to try to increase profits right now. A high yen could hurt the Japanese economy badly. Thats also why we are seeing many made in Vietnam or the Phillipenes on many of our lenses. Outsourcing jobs is hurting Japan as much as here in the USA.
03-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Hoya to cut digital camera staff

http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/main/20090318AT1D1708B17032009.html

HOYA、デジカメ人員半減 固定費50億円圧縮
 HOYAはデジタルカメラ事業のリストラを加速する。2009年6月までに国内人員を400人以下とし、現在の約800人のほぼ半分に減らす。海外でも人員削減を進める。円高や製品価格の下落で同社のデジカメ事業は営業赤字となっており、人員削減で固定費を50億円以上削り、09年度下半期中の単月黒字を目指す。

人員削減の対象は、国内では営業、生産管理、開発部門などで、希望退職や配置転換などを通じて6月までに400人以下に減らす。海外では工場などの生産部門(約2000人)を除き、販売部隊など約300人を対象に削減を進める。具体的な削減数は今後、詰める。内外のデジカメの組織体制は現在の半分の規模になる。 (07:00)

Hoya has plan to cuts Pentax Imaging's Japanese jobs 1/2! Then the existing all 800 jobs will cut to become 400 jobs. In 2005, Pentax Imaging's Japanese job was 1500 persons, but the end of 2008 became 800 persons, and then will again cut 1/2 at Jun 2009.

"人員削減の対象は、国内では営業、生産管理、開発部門などで"
Hoya will be cuts (Japan) Pentax Imaging’s personnel from: marketing, production and management, product development, before Jun 2009.

"海外では工場などの生産部門(約2000人)を除き、販売部隊など約300人を対象に削減を進める"。
The overseas, apart from the factory 2000 persons, which marketing personnel 300 persons will be dismissal.

Hoya's CEO Suzuki him has been without interest to the camera, him was just one rapacious merchant venomous. 2004-2006, Hoya's Suzuki wants to buy Pentax's lifecare Division, but Pentax's CEO wants to sell one entire Pentax, and then 2007's Pentax erupted up one anti-mergers war which was between Pentax CEO and board of directors.

The future 2 years after, would Hoya keep Pentax Imaging?

Last edited by Timon@pentaxforums; 03-19-2009 at 12:48 AM.