Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
^ probably you can show a few of your pictures which blow away those of Ned, right?

This is the perfect time for a new president. We cry out for new things and this guy plays out as a leica fanboy? I hope leica hire him as a walkaround photographer.

Last edited by vitalsax; 03-19-2009 at 11:43 AM.
03-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
This is the perfect time for a new president. We cry out for new things and this guy play out as a leica fanboy? I hope leica hire him as a walkaround photographer.
You could always suggest me to Hoya...
03-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
You could always suggest me to Hoya...
Surely will Ben! You've proved that Pentax work as good as anything else on the market.

Last edited by vitalsax; 03-19-2009 at 11:46 AM.
03-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
LOL, what a ridiculous comment. Here's a clue for ya: it's Hoya's Japanese leadership that's in charge of all the decisions regarding Pentax as a camera company. Ned is just a bit player in this, primarily a regional sales guy. And unlike most of the people in this forum, I've actually met Ned, and he's a very nice, friendly and humble guy who's a first and foremost a real photographer. If his overlords in Japan would actually listen to him, their company would be well served. I have no idea if they actually do. So save your venting for the people who are really responsible for Pentax's current and future state of affairs - it sure ain't Ned!
I agree...Ned is a very kind human being. However, he is responsible for sales in the U.S and Canada and thus responsible with his given budget the kind of marketing ad campaigns done. There is where we part our ways in terms of approach. Pentax needs to be sold in a novel, niche almost v.i.p. manner. None the less I won't go in to it here, but I believe there are ways to create the kind of buzz to bring up the name of Pentax in the public mind set and leave those with the impression that Pentax just "IS".

Ben

03-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I ran your post through google eng->eng translator and I can't make sense out of it.
I've got to say - that's one of the funniest things I've seen someone write in the rumors forum for a while!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree...Ned is a very kind human being. However, he is responsible for sales in the U.S and Canada and thus responsible with his given budget the kind of marketing ad campaigns done. There is where we part our ways in terms of approach. Pentax needs to be sold in a novel, niche almost v.i.p. manner. None the less I won't go in to it here, but I believe there are ways to create the kind of buzz to bring up the name of Pentax in the public mind set and leave those with the impression that Pentax just "IS".

Ben
Agreed. Sadly, many people I talk to about photography don't even know what Pentax is. Better marketing, regardless of who's doing it, is (and has always been) needed for our poor brand, which, in my opinion, never gets the recognition it deserves

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't even tell people that I shoot Pentax anymore, because I got so sick of hearing "Pen-what?"

My standard response now is, "You've probably never heard of it..."

03-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
I don't even tell people that I shoot Pentax anymore, because I got so sick of hearing "Pen-what?"
I think that's great - most of the people I've met that had that reaction instantly assumed because they had never heard of Pentax that it was some sort of ultra-high end camera company. Through in a few Limiteds and you could almost pull it off.
03-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
I think that's great - most of the people I've met that had that reaction instantly assumed because they had never heard of Pentax that it was some sort of ultra-high end camera company. Through in a few Limiteds and you could almost pull it off.
It's great to have a niche brand by design and NOT by obscurity...
03-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree- I actually like the fact that most people have no idea what the camera I'm holding is, but it does show that there are issues with Pentax's marketing strategy.

People should be aware that this company exists, especially other photography enthusiasts and prosumer types.

Right now it doesn't seem that they're doing a good job of making that happen.

This could be partially due to generational differences, as I'm only 25- but I'd like to think that it's important to be constantly preparing the next generation as early as possible and getting them into your product line sooner rather than later...
03-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I find a lot of people in this thread have NEVER read Ned's blog but only what they choose to read hence their negative attitude towards the man...and last time i looked the M4 "his favourite camera" was film based.
03-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
I agree- I actually like the fact that most people have no idea what the camera I'm holding is, but it does show that there are issues with Pentax's marketing strategy.

People should be aware that this company exists, especially other photography enthusiasts and prosumer types.

Right now it doesn't seem that they're doing a good job of making that happen.

This could be partially due to generational differences, as I'm only 25- but I'd like to think that it's important to be constantly preparing the next generation as early as possible and getting them into your product line sooner rather than later...
Pentax (pre Hoya) marketing strategy was to target older gentlemen (this was part of the 645D "strategy", old japanese landscape photographers)and young females (thus the K(mama)... This was from their words not mine..........

I haven't seen much evidence of them straying from that demographic...........and it doesn't seem to be working so well globally.
03-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #28

WHOOPS, a boo-boo ....Benjikan //

I agree...Ned is a very kind human being. However, he is responsible for sales in the U.S and Canada and thus responsible with his given budget the kind of marketing ad campaigns done.

Ben
Hi Ben,

I agree that Ned is good lad but he is only responsible for Pentax USA ...as
Pentax Canada has their own people to spend it's money ....of course, Pentax Canada has less swag, as well

Cheers and Hope all is well in Paris

Jack
03-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Wow the Leica issue has been beaten to death, and here we are again.

Unfortunately, since none of us are employed by Pentax (although there are some illusions of grandeur), we just have to let them do what they do. The Japan office has already shown what they're thinking...and are favoring the JDM over the rest of the world.

How much power does Ned really have in the US marketing office? Anyone with facts? Helloooooo?
03-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I ran your post through google eng->eng translator and I can't make sense out of it.
I went overkill on this one. I actually did it:

or.? Anyways had be the cause of connecting medium special in situ in the circumstances it is love to a small extent relative quantity hence immateriality NOT be the cause of connecting medium substantiality " remaining in situ ". Traveller at dp skim among love downsizing " information uncleanness part hence substantiality. Also IMMATERIALITY had be the cause of cohere speciality rear because number love EXIF be the cause of be attentive in the circumstances quantitative incomplete those were because his beggar all description " differing carrier ". IMMATERIALITY existing intend assemble immateriality identical incomplete those jobs. forgive and forget immateriality