Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
sigma price rises

QuoteOriginally posted by Jack_Simpson Quote
Hi S_L,

As for Sigma, they have had a couple of price hikes but, to their credit, not as drastic as Pentax (and Tamron: 70-200/2.8 = +$400 // 200-500/4-5.6 = + $440 // 17-50/2.8 =+$110) and Tokina had an "across the board" hike of approximately $120 :ugh:

Cheers,

Jack
re sigma - wait for it. The 100-300 went from ~700GBP to ~1200GBP recently.

03-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #47

I have the FA31,FA50 and a few zooms that cover 40mm , but I'm tempted to buy the DA 40mm before all retailers boost the price just so I can have a pancake lens and try it out. Grrrrrr
03-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #48
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
I have the FA31,FA50 and a few zooms that cover 40mm , but I'm tempted to buy the DA 40mm before all retailers boost the price just so I can have a pancake lens and try it out. Grrrrrr
I'm in the same boat.

I bought the FA50 in November then the DA35 just 2 weeks ago. Then come this price jump made me pulled the trigger on the DA40 last night. On top of that I have the Sigma 24-60 f2.8. So Iím very crowded in the normal range and it will be hell later trying to decide which one to keep.

But if Iím not buying the DA40 @ $290 CAN then I sure wonít buy it @ $450 CAN; so I might as well give it a shot now.
03-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunneruk Quote
re sigma - wait for it. The 100-300 went from ~700GBP to ~1200GBP recently.
Tell me about it! Fortunately for me, mine was ordered at the price of £724 and WHE honoured that price even though the lens was on back order. By the time it arrived it had gone up to £1150!

03-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #50
Inactive Account

Was that you who grabbed ProD's last DA 40mm?

Beat me to it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
Then come this price jump made me pulled the trigger on the DA40 last night. But if Iím not buying the DA40 @ $290 CAN then I sure wonít buy it @ $450 CAN; so I might as well give it a shot now.
03-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #51
Inactive Account

M, K and A series are still realistic ...glad I have the 2 of the 3 lenses I need ;-)
03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #52
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Was that you who grabbed ProD's last DA 40mm?

Beat me to it!
No, ProD and I are in Ontario so they will charge me both GST and PST. So I bought mine from TheCameraStore; shipping is cheaper too!
03-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #53

Original Poster
dugrant //

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
You got a copy and you didn't tell me?? *gasp*!!!
haha j/k

REALLY REALLY glad I picked up the DA70 Limited recently. These price increases are CRAZY. I'm definitely gonna be searching the used market a bit more.

Hi Jon,

I had the DA 55/1.4 on my camera for about 5 minutes and in the store for about 20 minutes and it is quite a sweet lens and with a decent close focussing -- as is evident
by self-portrait and sold our last (potentially) InExPenSive DA 50-135/2.8
. I put in an order for a few flashes (360, 540) and a few lenses (15, 40, 50-135) . I had an email earlier stating that if items were in stock they would be sent out BUT if any items were not in stock and could not be sent out by March 31st, the order would be cancelled and have to be re-ordered at the new prices so, we shall see what we shall see

Cheers,

Jack

03-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #54
Pentaxian

This might be a good month for sales with Pentax Canada lol
03-21-2009, 01:48 AM   #55
emr

I have to say I'm a bit confused if Pentax and other camera manufacturers are _raising_ the prices in today's economy. One would expect them to reduce the price to get _some_ action on the market. Of course it may have something to do with currency exchange rates and isn't necessary all just a question of manufacturer price. Or is it that the big corporations are so desperate and see the future so dark that they want to reduce work force as much as possible? Way fewer workers, way fewer products delivered but a better revenue per sold item -> a compromise with the smallest net loss? If that's the case, the business doesn't really see much light in the near future.
03-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Tax hikes? Materials hikes? Obamanomics?

Unless materials or labor costs are going up that much (or tax hikes - this might be what they are looking at - that always gets passed to the consumer) they must be using the same economic advisers as the administration. It is a very self-destructive policy.
03-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Of course it may have something to do with currency exchange rates
Yep, it has something to do with the exchange rates. About 40%
03-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Two things to put on the to-do list:

1. Please check if the prices in Yen has changed dramatically. If not (I'm sure it hasn't), don't blame Pentax.
2. Do more photograpy and studies of exchange rates and less forum wining and it will feel better

You see, Pentax won't sell products with loss in other parts of the economic world. Sounds rather sane, right?
03-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I have to say I'm a bit confused if Pentax and other camera manufacturers are _raising_ the prices in today's economy. One would expect them to reduce the price to get _some_ action on the market. Of course it may have something to do with currency exchange rates and isn't necessary all just a question of manufacturer price. Or is it that the big corporations are so desperate and see the future so dark that they want to reduce work force as much as possible? Way fewer workers, way fewer products delivered but a better revenue per sold item -> a compromise with the smallest net loss? If that's the case, the business doesn't really see much light in the near future.
Sounds logical but sadly what you and others describe here is not a fair reflection of actual market economics.

Pentax like other Japanese camera companies book their profits or losses in the Yen. So while they may have production plants outside Japan in China, Vietnam or the Philippines, everything is denominated in Yen.

Now the Yen has gone up sharply late last year principally as a currency of refuge given the weakening of other currencies. Now for an export driven economy like Japan, this is bad news because as the Yen rises, the cost of Japanese goods exported go up correspondingly while corporate profits gets wiped off.

The window for price reductions for the consumer has already passed with the end of the year-end 2008 holiday season. During that period, there were heavy price cuts and discounting as retailers were desperately clearing inventory to meet year-end sales forecasts, raising cash to paying off creditors, catching the crowd for the last time given the looming financial crisis and the negative consumer buying sentiment. Many were also trying to drastically downsize. This time round the frenzy in buying is because of an altogether different reason, to buy before future price hikes.

Now Japan is in the throes of one of the worse economic crisis to date. As an export driven economy, if year-on-year sales plummet, they have no choice but to find ways to cut costs. What's the point of planning about future product rollouts when the fate of the company is at stake. This is true not just for Pentax but other Japanese corporations and by extension, other export driven economies like China and Korea to name a few.

Domestic demand cannot supplant the plummeting overseas sales and in a recessionary/deflationary environment globally, consumers worldwide hunker down and cut discretionary spending, try to save more as buying on credit dries up. The recession won't improve immediately and those that say things will look better in 2010 are just guessing with little of no basis in reality. My estimate is the global recession will last at least 5 years...

Last edited by creampuff; 03-22-2009 at 04:44 PM.
03-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #60
cyg

This may have been posted already, but look at the Yen-CAD$ exchange rate for the last year:
here, on Yahoo! Finance

Notice something around October-November?

The Yen-USD rate had a similar jump at the same time, but much lower scale.