Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Well, Pentax retains the endorsement of Kerrick James and some other photographer, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure which Pentax subsidiary hired those two, if it's only Pentax USA or the mothership in Japan. I think Ben's agreement was with Pentax France (feel free to correct me Ben).

It may be the case that the marketing budget for Pentax USA (Ned's territory) might not have enough budget for now to make a big marketing splash (that's how I understand Ben's idea), or to retain the services of Ben himself, with the economy screwed as it is now.

Now if Ben's idea is something that's relatively cheap and cost-effective to implement, then by all means, I hope he gets to talk with Ned.
They could try paying some one in the U.S. with some gear. An FA* 600mm f4 would be of interest to a wild life photographer. I'd get them shots of a gators gonads being fed upon by Aedes aegypti for one of those!

03-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Ned reads this forum.
Frankly who cares...
03-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Frankly who cares...
Ned ...LOL
03-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Most people i know, before buying their first DSLR usually do few month research on the internet. Guess whats te majority of various Pentax "reviews", which describe real life usage google returns.
And it all sounds like terrifying underexposure, slow and inaccurate AF, yellow wb, mediocre to useless SR and almost unavailable lenses.. almost bought a Canon, because from what you can read Pentax doesnt sound like an option at all.
Lucky for me i was not ordering in internet and had the chance to try both k100ds and 400d. And was i surprised by the well defined image quality, same WB as others, lens choice with multiple options in most FL's and excellent, but affordable Limiteds. It has the ability to get sharp images even at 1/60 with Sig.70-300@300. Came with hood and a decent kit, nice, soft and well made neck strap. 400d felt like hand crippling, plastic tunnel vision camera having no usefull aditional features, having just the bare minimum with a mirror box to work.
I did all of my research on the internet (nobody close by carries Pentax) and that was exactly why I bought a Pentax. Prior to researching I was sold on either a Rebel XSi or a 40d, though I played with an XSi in circuit city and thought it felt cheap. I'm a mountain biker and often have to ride to places to shoot, I just couldn't imagine the XSi bouncing off of trees and being ok (the k200 has and is fine). Then after looking at Consumer Reports (starting point) and seeing the k200d in second (now behind the D90, which costs over twice as much, and <rant> on a side note I think if they had tested the 200 with the Da* lens they could have bought with the difference in price between the two, the results would have been different </rant>). From there I googled for reviews of the camera and found most of them to be generally good. The main downers being AF, Drive speed, and lack of live view. Without much in the way of PP abilities (to stack "sequence" shots) and already having gotten good timing developed, fast drive would be useless. AF, well I have dealt with slow AF for several years, and would have been fine with it except that it seems to be fast enough. I always used the viewfinder on my old cam so live-view was not a must. There were a few reviews that I ignored because their findings were different than the majority view, especially the one that hated that the k200d uses AAs, which I considered a plus. I compared it to offerings from other brands but decided that the k200d would fit my needs the best. Where the marketing strategy goes wrong to me is that when I thought "camera", Pentax just wasn't in the original list. "The List" being C, N and maybe O.

It would also seem as though Olympus has stolen the outer space idea:
Olympus Launches 'Space Project'

Last edited by Horseonthefly; 03-21-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: forgot a )
03-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
...snip. "Ned, since I have been a consulting Creative Director for clients like Club Med, Lancome and Dim, perhaps you might be curious enough to contact me with my proposals of how I would suggest getting Pentax back on the map in a BIG way..."...snip...

We had a complete strategy and marketing plan that would have dramatically shifted the consumer mindset regarding "The Pentax Persona".

...snip. [Y]ou know how to reach me.

Best Wishes
Ben
Ned,

Benjikan IS "interesting." His published work is "interesting." PENTAX Imaging USA needs "interesting" marketing now more than ever, but has precious little to show those who are interested in buying cameras, lenses and accessories that PENTAX is not only still around, but is viable. Benjikan has something to show you, and has the professional credibility to suggest that his ideas might be "interesting."

From reading your blog over the past couple of years, I think you might be a shrewd CEO, so why not show some interest in Benjamin Kanarek's offer?
03-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They could try paying some one in the U.S. with some gear. An FA* 600mm f4 would be of interest to a wild life photographer. I'd get them shots of a gators gonads being fed upon by Aedes aegypti for one of those!
Uh, that mosquito on alligator gonads might seem impressive as a photo, but I seriously hope you're not gonna push for that if you are given a chance to work with Pentax marketing.
03-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #37
Veteran Member

hey vinzer, too bad we lack crocodiles here, cause we sure have an abundance of aedes aegypti! just yesterday, I fumigated the whole house! with summer coming along and all...

Anyway, I hope Ned at least listens to what Ben has to say... Pentax has nothing to lose and everything to gain!

03-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I would love to see your work blown up and on display in stores around the country here and I would love to see you and your work in Pentax ads on the web and in magazines. But it seems corporations in today's world would rather lay off employees and cut their advertising, than take a gamble on something they don't understand, improve their market share, and plan for better days. I just don't think the old "when the going gets tough..." stuff applies anymore.

Pentax has many advantages. And to be honest, I don't care if they overtake Canon or anyone else as long as they keep bringing out good products at unbelievable prices. But it is a shame they don't get the recognition they deserve

Hopefully Ned realizes no one reads his blog or wants to look at his photos and decides to hear you out. He's surely got nothing to lose.

Last edited by JHfwp; 03-21-2009 at 09:30 PM.
03-22-2009, 05:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
hey vinzer, too bad we lack crocodiles here, cause we sure have an abundance of aedes aegypti! just yesterday, I fumigated the whole house! with summer coming along and all...

Anyway, I hope Ned at least listens to what Ben has to say... Pentax has nothing to lose and everything to gain!
Tell me about it. I've plenty of red dots all over me because of them darn mosquitoes.
03-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #40

No offence Ben, but this thread is pretty stupid.

I have no idea what your marketing scheme is, but even if it is a good one - which multinational company would make deals based on an approach like this? It does not have professional written all over it.

And another thing - while I am at it. I am getting quite sick of all the negative comments from some users here on this forum towards Ned B. I thought this was supposed to be a site for Pentax fans - not a site for immature people who cannot accept that a guy who works in a company sometime uses another companys products. What the hell is your problems? Let the man do whatever he wants in his private life. And don't give me the crap about him sending wrong signals with his Leica, the only people who sees this as negative are the few who bitch on this forum (and dPreview). Almost reminds me of George Bush (a bit moderated) - "Either you always use a Pentax, or your against us."

Now, lets focus on something more positive.
03-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote

Actually, we have a few American Crocs in Florida, but they are rare and were thought extinct at one point.
03-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Elton Quote
No offence Ben, but this thread is pretty stupid.

I have no idea what your marketing scheme is, but even if it is a good one - which multinational company would make deals based on an approach like this? It does not have professional written all over it.

And another thing - while I am at it. I am getting quite sick of all the negative comments from some users here on this forum towards Ned B. I thought this was supposed to be a site for Pentax fans - not a site for immature people who cannot accept that a guy who works in a company sometime uses another companys products. What the hell is your problems? Let the man do whatever he wants in his private life. And don't give me the crap about him sending wrong signals with his Leica, the only people who sees this as negative are the few who bitch on this forum (and dPreview). Almost reminds me of George Bush (a bit moderated) - "Either you always use a Pentax, or your against us."

Now, lets focus on something more positive.
No offense Elton, but Ned doesn't seem to give a shit nor exhibit much professionalism when it comes to marketing Pentax in the U.S. The only Marketing that I have seen is via Home Depot and Sam's Club. In fact Ned has done more for Leica.
03-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No offense Elton, but Ned doesn't seem to give a shit nor exhibit much professionalism when it comes to marketing Pentax in the U.S. The only Marketing that I have seen is via Home Depot and Sam's Club. In fact Ned has done more for Leica.
I dunno about you or abot Ned but frankly, my professional life is something, my personal life is something else. If I wanna show products I use from whatever brand on my blog, heck what the f*** can it make to anybody?

Now if the blog is a corporate thing, that's totally different. But it is not in this case and so there's absolutely no point in this mascarade.
03-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I dunno about you or abot Ned but frankly, my professional life is something, my personal life is something else. If I wanna show products I use from whatever brand on my blog, heck what the f*** can it make to anybody?

Now if the blog is a corporate thing, that's totally different. But it is not in this case and so there's absolutely no point in this mascarade.
Actually, I have to balance my personal life with my professional life because there is no clear line of separation.

My comments were targeted at the alleged Professionalism of Pentax USA marketing strategy. The fact is, Ned got more attention for Leica on that one thing than he did during his entire tenure in Colorado. Furthermore, he posted it more than just on his Blog. He also posted it in the Leica forum at DP.

I don't know what you mean by "mascarade." Frankly, it may be part of Ned's private life, but HE didn't keep it private. He posted it in his public blog and other heavily travelled sites. Finally, Ned does market some Pentax gear from his blog such as his mention of 500 White K2000 units being available in the states.

Ned Bunnell is the known figure head for Pentax USA, and is in charge of marketing and publicity. I have to buy new Pentax gear via BH or Adorama or alternatively through the Sam's or Home Depot Web sites.

Frankly, Pentax Japan can't think Pentax Marketing USA from the 70s and 80s for me buying my new Pentax gear and not the current crew.

The REAL "Mascarade" is that there is Pentax USA marketing.
03-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #45

So judging from one post about a Leica compactcamera you say he has done more marketing for Leica than for Pentax? Then what about all the post about Pentax? Surely almost all of his post are Pentax related. And don't you think that maybe Neds bosses at Pentax/Hoya have a little bit more information about how Ned is doing than you? Lets leave the buisness decisions up to the professionals. It might seem easy for you, but if it was that easy you would be President of a large company yourself wouldn't you?

Anyways, I am not getting into a discussion about this, as we clearly have too different views on the subject.

My point was just that all of these negative threads about trivial issues is not doing the Pentax community any good? Before I thought Pentax users were down to earth and more interested in photography than mindless discussions, these days I dont know.