Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

White K2000 is featured item at Sam's Club

I received a marketing email from Sam's club today. The k2000 was the featured item.

Clcking it led to here: Sam's Club - Pentax K2000 10.2MP DSLR Exclusive Limited Edition

I'd certainly rather see Pentax or a major camera shop advertising the brand, but at least somebody is.

BTW, I've never purchased or shopped for camera equipment at Sam's so I don't think the email was uniquely targeted for me.

03-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So this "HOT EXCLUSIVE LIMITED EDITION" is now being hawked by one of the biggest discounters in the country? I guess the U.S. marketing department led by Ned B. didn't do a very good job of getting it pushed out through the specialty stores that he has said will be the backbone of Pentax's direction.
03-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes - I got the email as well. I have never shopped camera at Sams either, so I assume it is a mass mailing to all subscribers...

I was in SAMS recently and did glance at their camera stuff - saw nothing Pentax there...
03-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
So this "HOT EXCLUSIVE LIMITED EDITION" is now being hawked by one of the biggest discounters in the country? I guess the U.S. marketing department led by Ned B. didn't do a very good job of getting it pushed out through the specialty stores that he has said will be the backbone of Pentax's direction.
I guess nothing is ever good enough, eh?

So...how many white K-m's is Sam's Club/Walmart getting? No Google...

03-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Lemme know when they start selling hte Silver K200D
03-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I guess this should also give us a clue as to how receptive Ned B. will be to Benjikan's VIP marketing approach. Thanks to stores like China-Mart, and Sam's-probably-rolling-over-in-his-grave Club, the average consumer doesn't know the difference between a horse turd and a diamond.
03-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I guess nothing is ever good enough, eh?

So...how many white K-m's is Sam's Club/Walmart getting? No Google...
Ned said Pentax USA was getting 500 units of the white K2000.

http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/2009/02/white-k2000-shipping-in-us.html

03-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Who else is going to be selling them? If Walmart gets all 500 units...that's like every 3 stores getting one unit...
03-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Who else is going to be selling them? If Walmart gets all 500 units...that's like every 3 stores getting one unit...
There's more than 500 Wal-Mart stores. Besides, it is apparently just a "net" deal for Sam's Club. Even Home Depot is carrying Pentax online.
03-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I visited 4 WalMarts last Christmas & Most employess were dumbfounded...

...when i asked:

Wheres your pentax camera equiptment?

I've been to one Home Depot and took 10 extra minutes yesterday and asked at customer service:

Wheres your pentax camera equiptment? The employee called store manager and he said:

"We do not carry any camera equiptment"

I guess it makes it appear you can buy pentax everywhere but why would I want it buy online at home depot or walmart over B&H?

Seems like a waste of pentax marketing resources to me, unless they plan to cancel their dealings with B&H to "be interesting" and want to create the illusion they are available everywhere.

Its interesting that pentax usa could not sell their 500 white cameras ordered for USA market. If they cannot sell them for full price why would walmart be able to sell them online at full price? Is "Limited Edition" that catchy a phrase to move anything and everything that you cannot touch and consider inperson?

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There's more than 500 Wal-Mart stores. Besides, it is apparently just a "net" deal for Sam's Club. Even Home Depot is carrying Pentax online.
03-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Who else is going to be selling them? If Walmart gets all 500 units...that's like every 3rd store getting one unit...
Retooled my statement and added emphasis...if it's Net-only for Walmart, how many of the 500 are they getting since the US is only getting 500 total? That's what I'm wondering since the white camera is a "limited edition."
03-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Retooled my statement and added emphasis...if it's Net-only for Walmart, how many of the 500 are they getting since the US is only getting 500 total? That's what I'm wondering since the white camera is a "limited edition."
I'm wondering how many of them are selling. If I didn't already have a K200d, I'd get one. However, I can't justify it with a K20d and a K200d.

Edit: I'm surprised they are not already sold. I wonder how well the word is out on them. They are listed on the Pentax web store.
03-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

A tech blog gave it a rave rating when it debuted and praise more recently (actual web addresses are probably in one or more of the K-m threads...not goin digging )

Japan's supply was sold out pretty quickly...
03-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter

A tech blog gave it a rave rating when it debuted and praise more recently (actual web addresses are probably in one or more of the K-m threads...not goin digging )

Japan's supply was sold out pretty quickly...
That's why I surprised there are still some available in the U.S. They sold out in other places as well.
03-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's why I surprised there are still some available in the U.S. They sold out in other places as well.
Don't forget how terrified the Administration and CNBC/Jim Cramer have made every American that (as a columnist called it) "our depression" is right around the corner. Obama is on TV every other day telling us this is an emergency and he has to spend $1,000,000,000,000 of our money THIS WEEK (or else).

Why are we surprised a consumer electronics item made by an unrecognized brand has to go to Sam's Club to clear the inventory?

I notice the white one in't on the Walmart site - just the Sam's Club site.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-22-2009 at 10:34 PM.