Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
well just saying I don't really see much difference from the FA35 and FA31 shots, or big enough difference to make me pay 1k extra to get it..

Neither do I but I remember Sinan doing a comparo of the 31 and the 16-50 and the 31 in the corners was just insane, never seen anything like it under $1,500.

In saying that I have the 35 and it's a super, super lens. Never used one sharper wide open.

03-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was thinking the same think; pick up at least a DA 40 so I have it in hand and can sell at nominal markup once the new prices kick in to help out someone who wants the DA 40mm sometime post-price increase.

Okay, who grabbed the last one from ProD last night? I was going to get it today...!

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
I know Galaxy Camera has an FA35 on the shelf. And clearly I will now never own a 31 Ltd, so I might as well opt for the poor man's 31 while I can. Right? Maybe a DA40?
03-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i would never consider the FA35 a poor man's FA31.
I didn't make up the "poor man's 31" phrase (as in cheaper lens of similar FL & similarly fabulous sharpness if perhaps lacking in bokeh) and take no offense to someone quibbling, but...

Others seem to take this to mean "good on its own" though it could be contrued to mean "no substitute for the 31, which is just gold, man, gold."

I'm seriously thinking about an emergency run to Galaxy Camera this aft (which I've confirmed haven't adjusted their prices yet and have one in stock), so please elaborate (either to confirm I should whisk off or to convince me not to take others' advice to do so).

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I try to tell myself the same thing, but remember that this "interest" is only theorical, it is worth nothing until you actually get to sell the lenses :ugh:
I'm working on convincing myself to not just buy, but sell too. An FA35 might well free up one or possibly two lenses. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself as I contemplate psychotic levels of LBA indulgence.
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I was thinking the same think; pick up at least a DA 40 so I have it in hand and can sell at nominal markup once the new prices kick in to help out someone who wants the DA 40mm sometime post-price increase.

Okay, who grabbed the last one from ProD last night? I was going to get it today...!
LOL I just went on ebay looking for it too and found it gone as well then saw your message.

Meh wasn't meant to be.

I still want a macro was hoping to have one for spring time. Looks like it won't be a new Pentax.

I just hope new Pentax bodies live up to the new price of building a well stocked Pentax system. (should be faster in AF and FPS and continue to improve high ISO noise performance) or their market share won't be going anywhere but down IMO.

03-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I'm working on convincing myself to not just buy, but sell too. An FA35 might well free up one or possibly two lenses. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself as I contemplate psychotic levels of LBA indulgence.
I'm sitting here thinking the same thing... I've been staring at the DA 12-24mm lens now for like 6 months, and made three offers on eBay, all of which were turned down.

I'd buy it right this second, but I have already spent almost $1,000 on camera gear in the past week alone, and I only take home about $550 after tax per week in my paycheck. (Though I also only pay $100 a week in rent lol)

This "hobby" (more like obsession) has become far too expensive!
03-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #51
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FA35mm f2 has to be a mistake. That was selling for $299 USD at B&H up till last month and they are now at $329 USD ( about $411.00 CAD). There's no justification for$719.99 which is $20 more than the Limited DA 35mm f2.8 macro.
03-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I didn't make up the "poor man's 31" phrase (as in cheaper lens of similar FL & similarly fabulous sharpness if perhaps lacking in bokeh) and take no offense to someone quibbling, but...

Others seem to take this to mean "good on its own" though it could be contrued to mean "no substitute for the 31, which is just gold, man, gold."

I'm seriously thinking about an emergency run to Galaxy Camera this aft (which I've confirmed haven't adjusted their prices yet and have one in stock), so please elaborate (either to confirm I should whisk off or to convince me not to take others' advice to do so).

not trying to rag on you david, my tone was more of a happy tone than a mad tone. i have them both now, i haven't used the FA35 that much yet, but it looks the same to me. on APS-C seems like the difference is narrow and i don't really care to do thorough testing on Film. if they made an FA33 w/ the build of the FA31 and the size of the FA35 and the best IQ of both, maybe that'd be worth $1300
03-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #53

If the FA35 F2 is really going up that much, the Sigma 30mm may turn out to be a relative bargain.

03-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #54
mbh

Well, just pulled the trigger on a 40mm from The Camera Store. I wasn't planning on buying this yet, but early Happy Bday to me! Good thing I recently e-filed my tax return and I've got a good sized refund coming.

I've been dreaming about the DA* 50-135 but guess I'll kiss that one goodbye.
03-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #55

Are the listed lenses the only Pentax lenses that are going up in price? How about the DA 18-200mm?
Also, does anyone know if camera bodies are going up?
03-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We can sadly watch the price spike from here:

Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canadians - photoprice.ca

Aden obviously reads the rumors section of this website, while the rest of Canada and the US do not.
03-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The FA35mm f2 has to be a mistake. That was selling for $299 USD at B&H up till last month and they are now at $329 USD ( about $411.00 CAD). There's no justification for$719.99 which is $20 more than the Limited DA 35mm f2.8 macro.
That might be because the FA35mm has been talked up here image quality wise on the forums. If they didn't revise the price upwards, nobody will buy the FA 31mm Ltd cause everyone will settle on the cheaper FA 35mm.
03-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mbh Quote
Well, just pulled the trigger on a 40mm from The Camera Store. I wasn't planning on buying this yet, but early Happy Bday to me! Good thing I recently e-filed my tax return and I've got a good sized refund coming.

I've been dreaming about the DA* 50-135 but guess I'll kiss that one goodbye.
...and now The Camera Store is out of stock. Act fast, everyone!
03-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #59
cyg

I see I'm not the only one who has been overreacting on this... (meant to get the DA 40 for a while anyway).

A good example of Pentax's new viral marketing tactics? Circulate some info about a coming price increase so that we all pull the trigger on those lens purchases we have been postponing...

By March 31st there may not be many lenses left in stock anyway!
03-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
I'm sitting here thinking the same thing... I've been staring at the DA 12-24mm lens now for like 6 months, and made three offers on eBay, all of which were turned down.

I'd buy it right this second, but I have already spent almost $1,000 on camera gear in the past week alone, and I only take home about $550 after tax per week in my paycheck. (Though I also only pay $100 a week in rent lol)

This "hobby" (more like obsession) has become far too expensive!
Whoa easy up on the LBA, these deals are always coming up here or there, no need to rush into it...if you're a true Pentaxian you have to be "frugal" (not my description) LOL