Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #61
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I'm with Clicker on this. I really want a DA12-24mm to complete my bag but I'll wait till the time is right for me. If the prices do go this high and stay high, then Sigma gets my business or find something used at the right price.

03-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I almost feel like right now is the perfect time to just splurge though- if you consider it in strictly investing terms- there's never a better time to buy than before something is about to JUMP in price, right?
03-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #63
Veteran Member

You lucky dogs with your cheap prices!
03-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Camera Canada has FA35 for $414.20Can.. and FA 77 ltd... $944.80 CDN!! oh well...
I will just use what I have and be happy for a while then..

Btw, new DA40 listing from Prodigital :P have fun hunting~

Last edited by vizjerei; 03-20-2009 at 10:36 PM.
03-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #65
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
... part of Hoya's intent to make the Pentax division profitable. I believe they made a statement on this quite some time ago, about a short time after completing the buyout of Pentax.
And as Pentax has recently been the king of bang for buck, what would the price increases make it? The crop technology for FF price court jester?
03-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
And as Pentax has recently been the king of bang for buck, what would the price increases make it? The crop technology for FF price court jester?
Hahaha.

I really don't know. Hoya's as tight as a clam when it comes to making statements. I mean, sure, they say stuff, but it takes a lot of guesswork to divine what they're really alluding to. It's more of simply wait-and-see what they bring to market, not just mock-ups.
03-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #67
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ain't no economics major, so I'm TOTALLY confused and don't understand any of it:

Putting currency values aside, we in the states are seeing price increases for stuff (not photo equipment) that's 100% U.S. produced. Food stuffs, for example.

Yeah, they used to say the rising price of gas brought prices up, but that was then and this is now. Gas has been low, yet egg and milk prices are up. I see price increases every day, yet they report that we're not experiencing inflation here.

It seems like companies are experiencing sales drops due to the economic meltdown, and they're trying to "make up" for it by raising their prices.

03-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yikes! Silver lining: this makes my totally irresponsible LBA indulgence over the past 18mos seem wise & foresighted!
03-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It seems like companies are experiencing sales drops due to the economic meltdown, and they're trying to "make up" for it by raising their prices.
Higher prices "in real terms" (i.e., in gold or proportionally to people's paper salaries) raised "rationally" imply higher demand or lower supply.... If you raise prices "in real terms", "irrationally," i.e., if there is no change in demand, or drop in demand, etc., you lower the quantity demanded and you end up with unsold surplus.

Perhaps, it is inflation due to Ben "helicopter" Bernanke.

EDIT: I only took one economics course as an undergrad, so feel free to ignore.
03-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #70
Veteran Member

SRS in the UK has the FA43 for £380 which is CND$684 versus $850 listed here. That's crazily overpriced in Canada.

On the other hand SRS has the FA50 for £155 = $279 versus $275, which is dead on.

I'm thinking some of these price increases are in error.
03-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #71

Aden's DA 12-24 was the lowest price around, and I was planning on placing an order just as soon as I had the extra cash. After going to their site today and thinking "This has to be some kind of mistake" (from $649 to $1129 ???) I placed my order with Vistek. $699 with free shipping. So, only about $30 more shipping included. On the bright side, I can now justify the purchase to the better half - I had to move now, honey, the price was going up! I just saved $500!
03-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #72

Sales are going to be a bit slow here with higher prices. On my Canon-alter-ego-ownership-side there is a rumour that April/May will bring back rebates to Canada on Canon products. Won't help my Pentax itch but may just pressure them to try and compete at least with bodies.

The 12-24mm is going way up in price? The increase I have seen posted here is just gouging, unless 1,000,000,000,000 yen = 1 Canadian Loonie
03-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
Aden's DA 12-24 was the lowest price around, and I was planning on placing an order just as soon as I had the extra cash. After going to their site today and thinking "This has to be some kind of mistake" (from $649 to $1129 ???) I placed my order with Vistek. $699 with free shipping. So, only about $30 more shipping included. On the bright side, I can now justify the purchase to the better half - I had to move now, honey, the price was going up! I just saved $500!
Aden price matches but as i said earlier, if you're at the store and mentioned the increase should be in April and not now and they don't agreed, ...walk.

@ rparmar...Canada is somewhat of a "closed" market to the point where sellers more or less walk over the consumers because they're not regulated as much as other places. there is more to it that what i just stated but to explain it would take awhile.
03-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
@ rparmar...Canada is somewhat of a "closed" market to the point where sellers more or less walk over the consumers because they're not regulated as much as other places. there is more to it that what i just stated but to explain it would take awhile.
Cannot agree, this is the second cheapest civilised country in the world. Europe, Australia, NZ and pretty much any other first world country is more expensive other than the US.
03-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, as I (uncharacteristically) read only the first and last pages

Has anyone else noticed a "slowdown" in the Marketplace of currently-produced lenses? Imagine buying, say, a 12-24 for...oh...$850, using it for a year then selling it for a "bargain price" of $950...if the price hikes figures are correct.

Makes me glad and sad. I don't have money to spend and I like older stuff. But...I reallllllly want a DA 16-50 before summer but can't get one now At least film prices won't go up? Let's hope...