Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Cyg, a fellow Ottawan! Wooooot!

You could try calling Broadway Camera's Richmond location, in case they have any left there. They charge a lot for shipping but with a good starting price it isn't far from ProDigital & Henry's, and they might actually have one! Bonne chance.

03-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #92
Inactive Account

Guess I should have done the altruistic move and nabbed the Henry's auction on behalf for someone on the forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
I wanted to give them a try as they usually have good prices. Now I'm a bit annoyed, as nobody else seems to have that lens anymore -- If they honour their price and fill backorder after 31 March, that might actually cost them dearly.
03-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #93

You are not alone. I ordered a DA40 from them immediately after reading about the price hike. Now a week has passed and I haven't heard a word from them.

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote

Meanwhile Prodigital2000 is posting "Buy It Now" eBay sales
[B]WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING ANY DA 40'S IN STOCK!
03-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #94
cyg

("With great prices comes great irritability")
And apparently we have the same cultural references.

03-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmmmm...??

QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
You are not alone. I ordered a DA40 from them immediately after reading about the price hike. Now a week has passed and I haven't heard a word from them.
May I ask why you don't just call them and ask for a disposition report on your order....?

Toll free from N America 1-866-227-6267, ext 20

Cheers...
03-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
I'm in the same boat. I got similar information by email, except they say they are "slowly getting more" and filling backorder...

I wanted to give them a try as they usually have good prices. Now I'm a bit annoyed, as nobody else seems to have that lens anymore -- If they honour their price and fill backorder after 31 March, that might actually cost them dearly.

Prodigital eBay store is a ghost town now! They must have reached the cut-off date where they can order stock at the "old" price.

I'm sure everybody's orders will be fine!
03-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #97
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Prodigital eBay store is a ghost town now!
And the DA 40mm which graced their home page is gone! Surprise!

Now you can have rabbits, or a Sigma DP1. Decisions, decisions...

03-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #98
mbh

I certainly don't intend this to sound like gloating, but I did get a 40mm limited last week. When word on the forum started heating up about the price hikes I ordered from The Camera Store in Calgary. Shortly after I ordered their website showed "out of stock" and still does. Perhaps I grabbed one of the last ones they had. Anyways, I paid a fair price and it was shipped within hours.

I ordered Friday afternoon and received it Monday. I want to put in a good word for a Canadian retailer... we generally don't tell people often enough when we've had a good experience.
03-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh and Broadway Camera too has been excellent. Due to low stock, their website said "call for availability" and wouldn't process a sale they couldn't fill (!). When I called the Vancouver location, they had exactly one left. They set it aside for me and set up a special hidden web order page just for me, and emailed me the link, so that I (and only I) could order it online.

Then I stupidly tried to save a few pennies from Prodigital & we know what happened there.

Anyhow, when Prodigital fell through, I went back to the Broadway link (I had intended to email them that I'd found a cheaper alternative, but a little voice told me not to trust Prodigital--thank god!). The Broadway Camera lens had been dutifully kept on hold, the link still worked, and the lens shipped out hours after I placed my online order.
03-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Prodigital eBay store is a ghost town now! They must have reached the cut-off date where they can order stock at the "old" price.
Wow - seriously depleted! But if you need a 50-200 with a rattle in the extension tube...
03-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #101
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah they had 56 Pentax items 2 days ago and now down to 16, most are bodies. Just got a DA*16-50mm in the nic of time.
03-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I knew ProD has a bad rep for issues with orders (as well as lazy packaging).
Indeed. After one order with them I became shy. Some might favour cheap price over all else, but not me. Besides, they ripped me off on shipping and then said I could get the balance back if I ordered with them again!

(Reminiscent of my recent MostlyDigital order...also London, Ontario... That town seems to be amok with cheap online stores with sh*t service bordering on fraud.)
Except that prodigital are in Stratford.
03-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Man, I like bargain price BUT...

A long time ago there was a prodigital2000 unhappy customer thread here and you all showed off their ship packaging. A Simple Sheet of Bubble wrap tapped to a factory pentax box. Address label tapped to that. Easy to see what camera or lens you bought with no additional box for protection. I wanted to shop there BUT... I never did.

I've got a friend who bought a valuable old "new in the box" item off ebay and seller tapped the rare box shut and sharpie pennned the address to and from on it. When my buddy got it it was destroyed in shipping too. Idiots! Camera lenses have multiple elements in them. One good hit and something gets misaligned. Great deals for sure or so it seems, but I never felt lucky enough to buy from them.

Selling stuff that isn't instock breaks ebay many and everchanging rules. As Pentax said, old Canada price will not be honored to dealers picking up backorders after April 1 2009. I assume a wave of cancelled pentax products may add to prodigital2000 many negatives this past year.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Indeed. After one order with them I became shy. Some might favour cheap price over all else, but not me. Besides, they ripped me off on shipping and then said I could get the balance back if I ordered with them again!

Last edited by Samsungian; 03-27-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: "custoner" changed to "customer"
03-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Stratford is London-ish.
03-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #105

Just picked up the last 40 2.8 at Kerrisdale Camera's here in Vancouver.
I was on the fence about this lens, but Pentax just gave me 200 reasons to buy!!

BTW - I think I'm starting to fall for this lens...
BTW#2 - I can't believe how fast the AF is with this lens!!!

Last edited by spun; 03-28-2009 at 06:12 PM.