Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #76
Veteran Member

If I bought a 16-50mm it would have to be new due to QC problems

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

In a perfect inflationary world people would be satisfied paying more next year for used lenses than new ones cost today. However if you broaden your perspective and look at Canon or Nikon then maybe not. Looking constantly at ALL lenses from ALL manufacturer's prices made me add Canon instead of buying more Pentax lenses last year. Well and my desire to have a big viewfinder and full frame platform. One of the first two eos lenses I bought last year was the full frame 16-35mm 2.8L for $1,309. Lets say the crop format 12-24mm f4 goes to $1300? For me its a no brainer to continue to buy Canon. Pentax dramactically raising prices will have a reverse effect and likely cause people to leave the system. Heck even I may sell off the Pentax goodies I kept when I added both Canon and Nikon to my bag of Pentax tools.

Shake reduction body is a cool feature but what good is it when you want to use a tripod? Like Macro, Panoramas, Long Exposures, ... I really enjoy SEEING the image stabilize in the viewfinder. Image stabilized glass provides this function and Shake Reduced bodies do not.

And its sad but true, I'd have to drive 60 miles now to touch a new Pentax item whereas there are easily a dozen stores nearby I can put my hands on Canon and Nikon gear. Home Depot selling Pentax online, WalMart selling Pentax online doesn't put gear in my hands to consider and test since these stores do not carry one pentax item locally. If Pentax wants to loose the "value" leader niche then they need to be on display with the big two everywhere cameras are sold. That won't happen, so I think they fancy themselves like leica brand and would like to get closer to Leica prices for their lenses. Problem is both Nikon & Canon make good gear and their head to head competetion keeps the glass prices competetive, which is good for consumer.

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, as I (uncharacteristically) read only the first and last pages

Has anyone else noticed a "slowdown" in the Marketplace of currently-produced lenses? Imagine buying, say, a 12-24 for...oh...$850, using it for a year then selling it for a "bargain price" of $950...if the price hikes figures are correct.

Makes me glad and sad. I don't have money to spend and I like older stuff. But...I reallllllly want a DA 16-50 before summer but can't get one now At least film prices won't go up? Let's hope...

03-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #77
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I bought my DA 12-24 from ebayer prodigital2000 in November. $600CAD incl. S&H to Norway($720CAD with taxes). The price in Norway is about $1000USD!
pd2000 have increased the price since November, but it's still only $530USD.

Now I have an active offer on DA 10-17mm. I want that fisheye lens before the prices increases.
I hope I don't need to spend more than $434USD on that lens. The price is from $615-720USD at local webstores in Norway.
03-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just giving the fisheye a workout yesterday--very handy for caves where space it tight and lines are already curved! But I've been thinking I'd find a rectilinear easier to find uses for. So while I'm not serious enough about it to grab a pre-hike 12-24, I'll gladly trade you on par! Heck, I might even cover shipping for both lenses!
03-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
In a perfect inflationary world people would be satisfied paying more next year for used lenses than new ones cost today. However if you broaden your perspective and look at Canon or Nikon then maybe not. Looking constantly at ALL lenses from ALL manufacturer's prices made me add Canon instead of buying more Pentax lenses last year. Well and my desire to have a big viewfinder and full frame platform. One of the first two eos lenses I bought last year was the full frame 16-35mm 2.8L for $1,309. Lets say the crop format 12-24mm f4 goes to $1300? For me its a no brainer to continue to buy Canon. Pentax dramactically raising prices will have a reverse effect and likely cause people to leave the system. Heck even I may sell off the Pentax goodies I kept when I added both Canon and Nikon to my bag of Pentax tools.

Shake reduction body is a cool feature but what good is it when you want to use a tripod? Like Macro, Panoramas, Long Exposures, ... I really enjoy SEEING the image stabilize in the viewfinder. Image stabilized glass provides this function and Shake Reduced bodies do not.

And its sad but true, I'd have to drive 60 miles now to touch a new Pentax item whereas there are easily a dozen stores nearby I can put my hands on Canon and Nikon gear. Home Depot selling Pentax online, WalMart selling Pentax online doesn't put gear in my hands to consider and test since these stores do not carry one pentax item locally. If Pentax wants to loose the "value" leader niche then they need to be on display with the big two everywhere cameras are sold. That won't happen, so I think they fancy themselves like leica brand and would like to get closer to Leica prices for their lenses. Problem is both Nikon & Canon make good gear and their head to head competetion keeps the glass prices competetive, which is good for consumer.
Why would I have to broaden my perspective? I was the first (and only) person to start a thread on Nikon's recent price hike which got...maybe...4 replies? This is a Pentax forum after all. Plus it was happening "over there" which effected what...3 people on this here Pentax forum? If prices on women's clothes go up tomorrow...doesn't matter to me as long as men's prices don't follow. Just an example of the mindset here.

03-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #80
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
I was just giving the fisheye a workout yesterday--very handy for caves where space it tight and lines are already curved! But I've been thinking I'd find a rectilinear easier to find uses for. So while I'm not serious enough about it to grab a pre-hike 12-24, I'll gladly trade you on par! Heck, I might even cover shipping for both lenses!
Hehe...

No thanks, I like DA12-24 too much.
But I am willing to buy your fisheye, if the price is right

I got an counter-offer from PD2000, 335USD + S&H. That's about 433USD incl. S&H and taxes.
03-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #81

Does the price jump include the USA?

I was wondering whether this is just a Pentax Canada thing or is this worldwide? I can curb my LBA if the lenses go up in price ... I just called Prodigital2000 and they also said that prices are going up ... they just wouldn's say how much
03-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #82
Inactive Account

Canadian buyers, Henrys.com has a DA 40mm closing very shortly (bid currently at $219).

SMC PENTAX-DA 40mm f2.8 LIMITED LENS/K20D/K200D/NEW - (eBay.ca item 250392862085 end time 26-Mar-09 21:02:14 EDT)

03-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Canadian buyers, Henrys.com has a DA 40mm closing very shortly (bid currently at $219).

SMC PENTAX-DA 40mm f2.8 LIMITED LENS/K20D/K200D/NEW - (eBay.ca item 250392862085 end time 26-Mar-09 21:02:14 EDT)

Meanwhile Prodigital2000 is posting "Buy It Now" eBay sales
WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING ANY DA 40'S IN STOCK!

My brother has been longing for a pancake lens for a long time, and his birthday is coming up, so I went for it before the hike. No shipment report aft several days so I called Prodigital today and they told me it's on backorder, Pentax Canada has none to restock them, and they have a waiting list of 50 OR SO! But they still posted the eBay sales & took my order, and did nothing to notify me they were out with no prospects of restocking to fill my order!!!

I've now bought the last pancake from Broadway Camera (Vancouver location anyway--there might be one or two at the Richmond location).

Last edited by David Whiteley; 03-26-2009 at 06:01 PM.
03-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #84
Veteran Member

My brother has been longing for a pancake lens for a long time, and his birthday is coming up, so I went for it before the hike. No shipment report aft several days so I called Prodigital today and they told me it's on backorder, Pentax Canada has none to restock them, and they have a waiting list of 50 OR SO! But they still posted the eBay sales & took my order, and did nothing to notify me they were out with no prospects of restocking to fill my order!!!

I've now bought the last pancake from Broadway Camera (Vancouver location anyway--there might be one or two at the Richmond location).
Not an unusual story from ProDigital 2000.
I like their prices and have never personally had a problem, but they often order products only after they are sold on Ebay....
03-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by weaponx525 Quote
I was wondering whether this is just a Pentax Canada thing or is this worldwide? I can curb my LBA if the lenses go up in price ... I just called Prodigital2000 and they also said that prices are going up ... they just wouldn's say how much
I imagine this is going to be a US thing too, but maybe there just hasn't been a leak. These new Canadian prices have a lot to do with currency values, but it's clearly not an even hike across the board.

The DA*55 should be a good indicator because its price isn't going up here--theory is, it was priced at "post-hike" prices. Its list price is $900 CDN and $800 USD.

Hopefully (for US buyers) this doesn't mean that US prices are going to increase to 89% of ours, but it seems that prices could jump in a similar manner.
03-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #86
Inactive Account

Closed at $222.50. Not a bad price at all!

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote

03-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #87
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ those prices in the OP. I suspect the "buyers strike" should have Pentax re-think the whole thing.
03-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
@ those prices in the OP. I suspect the "buyers strike" should have Pentax re-think the whole thing.
I doubt whether selling at a loss or close to it--i.e., probably what they've been doing--because of CAD sinking ~20-30% vs. JPY is something they will reconsider. Cutting production and selling at a profit sounds more rational.
03-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bwield Quote
Not an unusual story from ProDigital 2000.
I like their prices and have never personally had a problem, but they often order products only after they are sold on Ebay....
Yeah, I knew ProD has a bad rep for issues with orders (as well as lazy packaging). I thought I'd left plenty of time for slow shipping & wasn't surprised that I had to nag, but didn't see offering eBay sales of backordered items they CAN'T RESTOCK and then not telling me.

(Reminiscent of my recent MostlyDigital order...also London, Ontario... That town seems to be amok with cheap online stores with sh*t service bordering on fraud.)

Anyhow, fact is they often do offer pretty amazing pricing. So, if I trash them in feedback on eBay, will I be blacklisted & miss out on future chances to get their great prices?

("With great prices comes great irritability")
03-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #90
cyg

I'm in the same boat. I got similar information by email, except they say they are "slowly getting more" and filling backorder...

I wanted to give them a try as they usually have good prices. Now I'm a bit annoyed, as nobody else seems to have that lens anymore -- If they honour their price and fill backorder after 31 March, that might actually cost them dearly.