Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Quite often, manufacturers will put the same lens into several camera brands, each one with the manufacturers name on it.
My first digital camera was a Canon G1. The lens in it was identical to a lens used in a Sony (and called a Vario Sonnar or some such) and it was used in another brand, I don't recall which, and called something else.
The new Pentax X70 is the same camera as one of the Nikon Coolpic cameras and one of the new Kodak cameras as well. They change the lens bezel and call it a Pentax lens for one brand, a Nikon lens for another, and whatever Kodak wants to call it for the Kodak.
The third one was of the Epson PhotoPC 3000Z, which shared the optics with the G1 and the Sony.

It's a common practice in the world of P&S. I believe Tamron are one of the biggest manufacturers of P&S optics. At one point, Konica Minolta were doing that too.

03-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did my part...

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Camera Labs :: View topic - Danger alert: Pentax may cut workforce in half!

This thread explains it all.
Solution: Lets start buying genuine Pentax products! (cut off third-party and used lenses unless you have to)
bought two lenses this past year... and talked a friend into a K20D package. My sister also bought a K200 outfit.

And I get called a troll by people who haven't bought anything in YEARS...and haven't posted a photo with Pentax- identifiable exif data...

Cheers,
Cameron
03-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

My Wife & I are the only Pentax owners I know of locally

I know numerous Canon and Nikon owners locally and some used to own Pentax. One shot concerts professionally in the 1980's. Most left due to slow autofocus speed issues a decade ago. Still makes them smile to see a pentax dslr being used in 21st century and they go on to tell me of owning glass like 135mm f1.8 and other green star lenses. Pentax has been behind in frames per second capture for well over a decade. More like 14 years when Canon refined their USM motor which for Pentax they didn't make SDM until 2 years ago in response. SDM is only good on SDM bodies whereas canon film bodies and all dslrs are USM motor compatible. Its odd really inthat pentax was several years ahead of Canon in offering autofocus lenses.

I thought I'd cash out of all my Pentax gears too when I added eos but when the price on K20D made sense I figured I'd add one instead of selling everthing off. Glad I did. Its a great travel camera for my wife when she flies out of town.

I have noticed there are Devout Pentaxians here that don't own a K20D or many or any Pentax made lenses. I notice the same thing when one of my Canon buddies talks crap to any other brand owners and he owns ZERO canon made lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
bought two lenses this past year... and talked a friend into a K20D package. My sister also bought a K200 outfit.

And I get called a troll by people who haven't bought anything in YEARS...and haven't posted a photo with Pentax- identifiable exif data...

Cheers,
Cameron
03-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Rubbish

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
People buy sigma and tamron lenses and then complain why pentax doesn't market new lenses....why? Easy, becasue we don't buy them.
I have two Tamron and three Sigma lenses because Pentax had no equivalent lenses at the time, and in most cases they still don't, so I'll thank you to lecture someone else.

Moreover, I think having 3rd party lenses is an extremely valuable resource--I have no alternate source for 645 lenses--so giving Tamron and Sigma some business is, in my mind, equally important.

Last edited by Buffy; 03-23-2009 at 01:34 PM.
03-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
I have two Tamron and three Sigma lenses because Pentax had no equivalent lenses at the time, and in most cases they still don't, so I'll thank you to lecture someone else.

Moreover, I think having 3rd party lenses is an extremely valuable resource--I have no alternate source for 645 lenses--so giving Tamron and Sigma some business is, in my mind, equally important.
Sensible arguments but moaning because Pentax is too expensive and 3rd party is even less expensive is irresponsible, Pentax being a lot more affordable than the other brands.
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #21

Photography is aout affordability as much as anything else.

Personally, I don't have a ot of cash to splurge on DA* lenses. If a third party lens takes a good photo for me, then so be it.

I would love to own DA* lenses, and am trying to save some money towards the 16-50, but only time will tell.
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I can't do that, you see... since Pentax' workforce has been cut in half, my camera refuses to take pictures
And my cropped sensor now is half of what it was!
03-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Yes, but only if you select the Japanese language for the menus