Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dan aron Quote
I really hope Art Vandelay is correct. I just bought K20 and now I'm thinking if I should chance back to Nikon. I'll wait for a next big news and decide after that.
I think I'm right that Pentax will eventually build a 35mm camera, but like everyone else I have no freaking clue. Because of that I finally gave in and ordered Nikon gear last night. Best Buy is selling new D200's for $650 this week (they sell for more than that used on eBay); so I ordered one just for the hell of it. Found a Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 for $175 on eBay after that. I'm going to test it out for a bit to see how I like Nikons way of doing things. If I like it as much as I do my Pentax then my Pentax gear will go on eBay in a few weeks. Then I'll start buying FF primes and wait for the announcement of a D700x so the price of the D700 will drop to $1500 or so.

I'll miss my FA43mm Limited, green button, x-sync mode, and in-body SR, but I just don't see a future for APS-C outside of the entry level SLR market, and have no desire to wait 5 years for Pentax to realize they missed the boat.

Also, while talking about missing the boat; I wish Pentax would change their opinion on EVIL systems. I think 4/3's or APS-C sensors are the perfect size for that, and I agree with Panasonic's prediction that EVIL cameras will eat into the sales of entry level SLR's. So if entry level goes EVIL and semi-pro/pro goes 35mm DSLR that just leaves Pentax in some weird gray area.

03-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Best Buy has had the D200 webdeal for over a month now

D200 is CCD D300 is CMOS. D300 is superior image quality wise to D200. My Old Pentax buddy who owned pentax film kit for almost 20 years, then dumped all his pentax including 645II and glass when he borrowed a friends D200 and 17-35 2.8 and then dumped D200 after he got a D300.

I think people get hung up on one camera brand needing to replace another.

Why not keep both brands, if you can afford to?

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I think I'm right that Pentax will eventually build a 35mm camera, but like everyone else I have no freaking clue. Because of that I finally gave in and ordered Nikon gear last night. Best Buy is selling new D200's for $650 this week (they sell for more than that used on eBay); so I ordered one just for the hell of it. Found a Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 for $175 on eBay after that. I'm going to test it out for a bit to see how I like Nikons way of doing things. If I like it as much as I do my Pentax then my Pentax gear will go on eBay in a few weeks. Then I'll start buying FF primes and wait for the announcement of a D700x so the price of the D700 will drop to $1500 or so.

I'll miss my FA43mm Limited, green button, x-sync mode, and in-body SR, but I just don't see a future for APS-C outside of the entry level SLR market, and have no desire to wait 5 years for Pentax to realize they missed the boat.

Also, while talking about missing the boat; I wish Pentax would change their opinion on EVIL systems. I think 4/3's or APS-C sensors are the perfect size for that, and I agree with Panasonic's prediction that EVIL cameras will eat into the sales of entry level SLR's. So if entry level goes EVIL and semi-pro/pro goes 35mm DSLR that just leaves Pentax in some weird gray area.
03-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
D200 is CCD D300 is CMOS. D300 is superior image quality wise to D200. My Old Pentax buddy who owned pentax film kit for almost 20 years, then dumped all his pentax including 645II and glass when he borrowed a friends D200 and 17-35 2.8 and then dumped D200 after he got a D300.

I think people get hung up on one camera brand needing to replace another.

Why not keep both brands, if you can afford to?
Because the $900 or so I'll get out of my K10D + Lenses will fund a Nikon 50mm 1.4 + the Nikon 70-300mm VR. I suppose I could keep both systems, but it's just not worth it to me. I'd rather have that money tied up in something else...such as tires for my KTM 990

If I ever go to a two camera system it will be 35mm DSLR + an EVIL camera like the Olympus m4/3's mock up. That would be two system that serve different purposes.

I'm not expecting any better IQ from the D200 then I get from my K10D (I think they use the same Sony 10mp CCD sensor after all, and I only shoot RAW), but the D200 does feel wonderful in your hands, the screw drive is MUCH quieter then the K10D's, it shoots faster, has an AF assist lamp, goes to +/-5 on exposure comp, has faster flash sync, and I think the viewfinder is slightly brighter than the K10D's. Obviously I'd rather have the D300, but it is selling for $1400 at the moment, that is more then I'm willing to pay for an APS-C camera.

The D200 will be just fine for the next year or so until the D700 drops down around $1500 (just like the 5D Mark I has done now). At only $650 even if Nikon announces a D400 my D200 isn't going to lose much value in the next year. I should be able to turn around and sell it for at least $400-450.
03-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #64

I also don't think D300's marginal high ISO performance is worth the extra money over the D200. Jees I didn't it was THAT cheap. I was looking at the ebay price.

The money you save can get you a Tokina 11-16mm.

03-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
The money you save can get you a Tokina 11-16mm.
Another reason I switched; one of my good friends is a Nikon guy...I'm trying to talk him into buying an ultrawide so I don't have too

Edit: As far as the D200 being cheap; I actually missed out on the lowest price. Two weeks ago Best Buy was selling the D200 for $600. That same friend picked up one himself then. I wasn't ready to give up on Pentax just yet though. Still, $650 is a hell of a deal for a camera that was $1700 2 years ago.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 03-26-2009 at 01:43 PM.
03-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I also don't think D300's marginal high ISO performance is worth the extra money over the D200.
That's not my experience at all. I have a friend (with Nikon DNA in his blood ) who went from a D200 to a D300, and the D300 is light-years ahead. Mind you, the D200 was worse than the K10D as low as ISO 400.
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Mind you, the D200 was worse than the K10D as low as ISO 400.
I thought that too, so I made my friend take me some test ISO1600 shots with his D200 and send me the RAW files before ordering one. I was shocked at the results. I processed the RAW file using Photoshop, then ran it through Noise Ninja for good measure and it produced the attached image. I scaled it down so I can attach it here, but it even looked decent when I pixel peeped at 100%. I actually like the noise pattern it produces, it will make for some nice grainy B&W's. I assume those with noise issues must be JPEG shooters. Virtually all of the JPEGs I've seen the D200 produce look like poo.

However, most importantly, I didn't see any hints of vertical banding. I haven't shot anything with my K10D over ISO800 since the first few weeks I got it because it produced some nasty vertical lines that where impossible to get rid of; even for Noise Ninja.
Attached Images

03-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
That's not my experience at all. I have a friend (with Nikon DNA in his blood ) who went from a D200 to a D300, and the D300 is light-years ahead. Mind you, the D200 was worse than the K10D as low as ISO 400.
I have also got a coworker into photography who shoots with a D200. There is a lot more noise in his pics than in mine, and I shoot with a K200D. I hope Nikon improved with the D300 - I wouldn't want to use a D200.

03-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #69

People, please remember that you have the best camera, lens, etc for the buck And you get great photos for little money compared with other brands. Stop whining and hang in there. It's not about if you have Canon or Nikon on the body that makes you "good", it's about the end result.

Penax gives all of us that. Just hang in there and take phtos.