Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This 645 beast will be for renting shops (most Pros rent their medium format)

My only hope is that this camera will be available for renting in Paris (not that likely that they will want to add another system on their shelves) then maybe I'll rent it to try it for an important job (like my syster's wedding this summer, if available by then)

By no way, I'll have enough use of such a pricey beast (either it is 10k or 40k) before it becomes obsolette. For this range of equipment renting is definitively the way to go.

Regards,
Guillaume

03-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The way I see it is that it's possibly SDM only, making AF impossible on older 645 bodies.
Now, *that* would be pretty stupid from them. Doing that in consumer space, why not but in pro market?
03-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #18

Nice! I will pick one up when I hit my mid-life crisis.
03-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Now, *that* would be pretty stupid from them. Doing that in consumer space, why not but in pro market?
I was about to comment that myself, but I think we both misunderstood: He meant that the new lens won't autofocus on the old bodies!

03-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I was about to comment that myself, but I think we both misunderstood: He meant that the new lens won't autofocus on the old bodies!
Oh, then it may be acceptable. If the lens does not cover '645 full frame' anyway...
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #21

Sexy!

Very very nice!

Hopefully in a couple of years I'll be making enough money to pick up this beauty, in the mean time I hope the rental shops of London get it...

BTW, has anybody else noticed the high shutter speed of 1/1000? I've never seen that before on a MF. Wonder what the max speed is? But more importantly what the flash sync is? 1/500 would be nice... Hopefully the new set of lenses will have a buildt in shutter.

Interesting buttons as well, I wonder if the two blanc ones mean there are any secret functions that they don't want to tell us about yet?
03-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice!

I hope they sell out quickly and mass market them so us regular folks can afford one.

Ben - are you getting one? C'mon, moneybags!

Cheers,
Cameron

03-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Elton Quote
Very very nice!

Hopefully in a couple of years I'll be making enough money to pick up this beauty, in the mean time I hope the rental shops of London get it...

BTW, has anybody else noticed the high shutter speed of 1/1000? I've never seen that before on a MF. Wonder what the max speed is? But more importantly what the flash sync is? 1/500 would be nice... Hopefully the new set of lenses will have a buildt in shutter.

Interesting buttons as well, I wonder if the two blanc ones mean there are any secret functions that they don't want to tell us about yet?
Flash sync on MF isn't a big issue, just find a lens with built-in shutter and it's done.
03-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Mirror lock up button.

At least

por fin

Till slut

03-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Flash sync on MF isn't a big issue, just find a lens with built-in shutter and it's done.
Well, that was what I said. I hope the new lenses have a buildt in shutter. And flash sync on a MF is a big issue for me. I would have a hard time justifying a camera that couldn't sync faster than 1/30s as the 645NII. That would make outdoor use of flash in sunlight impossible.

Even if the new lenses have a buildt in shutter or not I would like the camera itself to have a faster sync speed than the previous 645 from Pentax.
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I would have a hard time justifying a camera that couldn't sync faster than 1/30s as the 645NII.
Wow, is it really that slow? Back in the early 70's my Bronica S2A synced at 1/40s, and that was a 6x6 camera so they couldn't get away with a shorter run for the shutter curtain by having it traverse the narrower dimension of the film.
03-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
Wow, is it really that slow? Back in the early 70's my Bronica S2A synced at 1/40s, and that was a 6x6 camera so they couldn't get away with a shorter run for the shutter curtain by having it traverse the narrower dimension of the film.
Looks like I had it wrong, according to this page PHOTOgraphic Magazine Online: Pentax 645nii the 645N II has a 1/60s flash sync.

Still I find it to be a bit to long. I'm not sure what the fastet sync speed on a existing 645 is, but I see the Contax 645 has 1/125s and the top of the line new Hasselblad, the H3DII can sync all the way up to 1/800, but as I understand that is because all the lenses have their on shutter.

My personal belief is that on a medium format the sync speed should at least be 1/500s - and if that is not possible with a shutter in the camera, then all the lenses available should have a leaf shutter inside.
03-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #28

My personal belief is that on a medium format the sync speed should at least be 1/500s - and if that is not possible with a shutter in the camera, then all the lenses available should have a leaf shutter inside.
It SHOULD be 1/500 And I believe the new 645D with that shutter should cost $1000 and come with an automatic upgrade everytime a new sensor comes out.

If you want it, you can pay the extra $$ for that leaf shutter lens. Let me buy my regular lenses (I'll get a couple of them for , and if I REALLY NEED that fast a sync I'll buy one too.
03-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by cheesehead Quote
It SHOULD be 1/500 And I believe the new 645D with that shutter should cost $1000 and come with an automatic upgrade everytime a new sensor comes out.

If you want it, you can pay the extra $$ for that leaf shutter lens. Let me buy my regular lenses (I'll get a couple of them for , and if I REALLY NEED that fast a sync I'll buy one too.
But if they have two lines of lenses, one with and one without leaf shutters, then they could justify the leaf lenses being very expensive. With just one line though they could all be "cheap"... =)
03-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Bleh, I suppose 645D is PPTL compatible so HS sync is present.
Of course it lowers the flash power but still, it should allow more flexibility IMO