Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #121
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
It's a Japanese thing:
Actually a US "corporate year" can end at anytime. We just usually use Dec 31st but there is really no reason anyone has to.
Japanese use March 31st......

interesting... doesn't make sense to me, but interesting none the less..

03-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
interesting... doesn't make sense to me, but interesting none the less..
In Japan, the fiscal year used is 01 April to 31 March. I think even their government budget system follows this pattern.

Just a clarification.
03-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
excuse my ignorance of corporate affairs, but how could a corporate year end only 4 months into the year?
The school year also ends in March. We're just getting ready to change academic years over here.

If you really really stop and think about it, this is a much more sensible time of the year for a "new year" to begin (although the Japanese do go along with the rest of the idiots in the world and celebrate New Years Day on January 1st).
03-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #124
Veteran Member

It looks like metal.
I sure do hope that it's not just painted but dye mixed with plastic so the whole plastic is silver.
Good for a collection if only a 1000 is going to be produced.
It will definitely appreciate in value through time.

03-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #125

New Year's was only changed from March 25 to Jan 1 in I think the 1750s.

As to cameras only two things really count:

IQ and ergonomics.

Pentax needs a professional image more than a goofy image, IMHO.

But cancelling the best superzoom out? Killing models without replacing them? Giving up on the higher-end market? Are they - trying to drive us to the big 2?
03-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #126
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I am not forgetting that these are Japanese only releases. I wonder how come though that white K-m's were sold in USA, were they not?

And no, I don't quite like this practice all together. Is it ok to dislike something Pentax does, please?

I was/am pretty excited about release of K-m and the information I managed to obtain from the net about it. I am extremely excited (as in prepping my vallet) about release of DA 15/4 limited lens to which end I placed a request in local Pentax dealership.

I do want more than just that. Is that ok?

Throwing arms in anger is a bad practice though, one might not be able to catch 'em back, those arms...
03-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
No, I am not forgetting that these are Japanese only releases. I wonder how come though that white K-m's were sold in USA, were they not?

And no, I don't quite like this practice all together. Is it ok to dislike something Pentax does, please?

I was/am pretty excited about release of K-m and the information I managed to obtain from the net about it. I am extremely excited (as in prepping my vallet) about release of DA 15/4 limited lens to which end I placed a request in local Pentax dealership.

I do want more than just that. Is that ok?

Throwing arms in anger is a bad practice though, one might not be able to catch 'em back, those arms...
Hey, it's all fine to complain and dislike what Hoya does, but you should also be fair when disliking stuff. For example, these limited edition cameras are simply an output of the marketing team. You had previously assumed (and complained) that R&D money went into these cameras, when it would hardly have needed much time and effort from the R&D team to produce, if at all.

Pentax really isn't the brand for the impatient. With smaller resources compared to larger companies who can afford to replace their cameras in much shorter lifecycles, there is a need to be more creative with products. If Hoya can earn quick cash and get a bit of publicity by spending only a relatively small amount of money to switch the paint used in the production line, I'm all for it.

When they do release a new camera model that fails to improve on their already existing products and they expect people to pay a good premium for it, I'll be among the first to criticize it.
03-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #128
Site Supporter

Vinzer, correct me if I am wrong (I well may be) but wasn't the K10D special edition different than regular stock K10D? If so, certain R&D effort was necessary to make it. Of course I don't have much clue as to how production facilities are organized. But it seems silly (not stupid, but silly) to me to have to organize special production facility (and quality control, and so on and so forth) for white only or part-silver cameras and battery grips. Although these runs are limited in numbers, I am not sure that their effect on company operation (I mean R&D, production, etc) is negligible. It well may be, but yet it may be not.

As for patience, I got my *istD back in 2005. Ever since I've been waiting for a lens similar to my K 24/2.8 that at that time was my wide angle lens of choice (on film). I think that waiting for almost 5 years (given that most probably it will arrive to Israel towards autumn) for a lens such as DA 15/4 is patient enough .

03-30-2009, 04:25 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Vinzer, correct me if I am wrong (I well may be) but wasn't the K10D special edition different than regular stock K10D? If so, certain R&D effort was necessary to make it. Of course I don't have much clue as to how production facilities are organized. But it seems silly (not stupid, but silly) to me to have to organize special production facility (and quality control, and so on and so forth) for white only or part-silver cameras and battery grips. Although these runs are limited in numbers, I am not sure that their effect on company operation (I mean R&D, production, etc) is negligible. It well may be, but yet it may be not.

As for patience, I got my *istD back in 2005. Ever since I've been waiting for a lens similar to my K 24/2.8 that at that time was my wide angle lens of choice (on film). I think that waiting for almost 5 years (given that most probably it will arrive to Israel towards autumn) for a lens such as DA 15/4 is patient enough .
Well, we really don't have actual figures to know how much R&D went into limited edition cameras, but as far as I can recall, the limited-edition K10D wasn't anything different from a regular K10D to warrant a whole bunch of R&D work done on it. I, of course, could be mistaken about this.

With the newer limited-edition models, I really only see a minor change in the production line (probably painted-over plastic, or change in base plastic color) to accomodate the runs to produce these models. I really don't see why research should be done to switch color pallettes. The marketers could've thought of this in another room while the engineers are working with the next camera model that Hoya will roll out. I mean, does it really take an engineer or even a whole team of them to think "Hey, let's try a different color scheme to our existing models"?

Now I will agree with you about the lenses, especially the almost-there-but-not-quite 60-250mm that Hoya has announced and has shown around since forever (well, not really forever, but it sure feels that way). That they even got the 15mm out before the 60-250mm befuddles me. I mean, yes, a prime is easier to design and construct than a zoom lens, but that long zoom lens has been announced years ago, so it must've been allocated time and effort to design and manufacture it since the announcement. Oh well, as others have reported, it seems to be almost on the way to delivery. *shrug*
04-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
I found a non-working mock-up of the olive KM in the Yurakutcho Bic Camera today, alongside the production KM's. With the matching lens I thought it looked rather good; the colour has a slimming effect, somehow making the unit look smaller than the black model (though closer inspection proved this false).

The mock-up body had a flat plastic look rather than the textured look of the production KM. I'd guess that that was just for the mock-up but it really makes a difference in presentability!
04-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
the colour has a slimming effect
You really get things earlier in Tokyo than in Munich, it appears (maybe, except BMWs )

I always thought vertical stripes have a slimming effect, though
04-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I found a non-working mock-up of the olive KM in the Yurakutcho Bic Camera today, alongside the production KM's. With the matching lens I thought it looked rather good; the colour has a slimming effect, somehow making the unit look smaller than the black model (though closer inspection proved this false).

The mock-up body had a flat plastic look rather than the textured look of the production KM. I'd guess that that was just for the mock-up but it really makes a difference in presentability!
I always thought black was the color of choice for people who want to make themselves look slimmer. At least, that's what I hear from my three sisters. I guess it doesn't apply with cameras.
04-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #133
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I just don't get that...shiny silver cheapo plastic on the gorgeous limited lenses? Even the DA* and straight DA's have a nice finish which is not replicated on any camera EVER...it is just bizarre. Cameron

Actually, the K10DGP matches the DA* perfectly including the gold lettering.
04-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #134
Veteran Member

OK so now that there is a silver cylon K20D, where are our matching DA limiteds
04-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #135

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
The Cylon jokes can't be too long coming I'm sure given the Storm Trooper jokes on the White Km/K2000...

But I gotta admit that is Dead Sexy.
Sorry guys, don't mean to be ugly, but I think at first glance it looks cheap, gaudy, tech'ie, UGLY. When I see it in full color, I may have a change off opinion.

Steve N