Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #91
Forum Member

Wow! that silver camera is really really really SEXY!!!

03-26-2009, 03:55 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I put together this tool last week to help me prepare for an exam (I live in Japan), and will be expanding it on a daily basis as a study tool. Perhaps it would help with understanding relatively simple things like dates.

http://jjj.emuu.net/kanji.php
This is a great little tool.

However, I have a hard time to find the Kanji in your list. We lack the school education about the taxonomy of Kanji letters. I know there are only 81 of them, or so. Still, I cannot tell a Kanji letter by name.

So, why not offer an input field (on your page) where I can enter the Kanji letter (like '月') and jump to the corresponding page (http://jjj.emuu.net/kanji.php?217)?

This works because Kanji letters are Unicode ( 月 = & #26376; ) and can be copy-pasted w/o problems. So, you would have to map 26376 -> 217 (in Unicode, in 'shift-jis' encoding, the one you use on your page, it would be different).

I really liked your page about the moon Kanji. Couldn't find the other letters.

EDIT:
Why not add 'の' and 'つ', 'と', 'か'? I know, not Kanjis, but look-a-likes and we still wonder what they mean
Living in Munich, I call the first one 'pretzel'. Is it called like this in Tokyo too?

Last edited by falconeye; 03-26-2009 at 04:06 AM.
03-26-2009, 04:46 AM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Why not add 'の' and 'つ', 'と', 'か'? I know, not Kanjis, but look-a-likes and we still wonder what they mean
Living in Munich, I call the first one 'pretzel'. Is it called like this in Tokyo too?
Those are hiragana, as with our characters they don't hold a meaning on their own (but there are words composed from a single hiragana, I think particles is the correct word? 'no' means possession, 'ka' is more or less a 'question mark') - 'の' is 'no', 'つ' is 'tsu', 'と' = 'to', 'か' is 'ka'.
Yep, I'm trying to learn this stuff - but I'm only at beginning.

A dictionary who allows pasting of kanji: Yamasa Online Kanji Dictionary

L.E. Very interesting site, uccemebug. Well, you have to know both kiragana and katakana in order to attempt to read those kanjis - but that's a minor inconvenient
Good luck with your exam!

Last edited by Kunzite; 03-26-2009 at 04:56 AM.
03-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Those are hiragana, as with our characters they don't hold a meaning on their own (but there are words composed from a single hiragana, I think particles is the correct word? 'no' means possession, 'ka' is more or less a 'question mark') - 'の' is 'no', 'つ' is 'tsu', 'と' = 'to', 'か' is 'ka'.
Yep, I'm trying to learn this stuff - but I'm only at beginning.

A dictionary who allows pasting of kanji: Yamasa Online Kanji Dictionary

L.E. Very interesting site, uccemebug. Well, you have to know both kiragana and katakana in order to attempt to read those kanjis - but that's a minor inconvenient
Good luck with your exam!
Hiragani is a Japanese Syllabus and they most certainly do hold a meaning of their own which can't be compared to kanji (Chinese characters).

While Hiragana is often used to add Japanese particles to Chinese characters, it is also often used on it's own for words that are of Japanese origin and quite often have no relation to Chinese Kanji. It's all very confusing and complex. And while online resources can often be helpful they can rarely be relied upon when translating the subtle nuances of the language.

nikuyakun.

Last edited by nikuyakun; 03-26-2009 at 03:00 PM.
03-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope this is not the dSLR release

I really hope this is not the upgrade that Hoya talked about in their annual report.

Colors on the K-m make some sense but on the K20D which is an advanced camera, it is silly.
03-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nikuyakun Quote
Hiragani is a Japanese Syllabus and they most certainly do hold a meaning of their own
Bad choice of words. What I mean, you're using them to compose words, like with our characters except they're not characters but - as you said - syllabus. 'tsu' has no meaning on it's own; but you can use it in e.g. 'tsuki' - moon or month, while the same word can be written with a single kanji - '月'.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I have so much to learn.
I'm only starting to realize how difficult this stuff is. Hmm... for example, how do you count lenses?

spartan, don't worry, in summer we'll have a real announcement - not just a limited number of differently coloured cameras.
03-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Bad choice of words. What I mean, you're using them to compose words, like with our characters except they're not characters but - as you said - syllabus. 'tsu' has no meaning on it's own; but you can use it in e.g. 'tsuki' - moon or month, while the same word can be written with a single kanji - '月'.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I have so much to learn.
I'm only starting to realize how difficult this stuff is. Hmm... for example, how do you count lenses?

spartan, don't worry, in summer we'll have a real announcement - not just a limited number of differently coloured cameras.
There are many words in common use in Japan today without any contemporary connection to the Chinese Syllabus. Of course Hiragna is the Japanese extension of Chinese characters used ostensibly to enhance their own unique vocabulary.

The Japanese language has evolved as does every colloquial language does, and rest assured there are times when Chinese Kanji just does not suffice.

But I fear we have strayed way off topic here.

nikuyakun

Last edited by nikuyakun; 03-26-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
03-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is a great little tool.

However, I have a hard time to find the Kanji in your list. We lack the school education about the taxonomy of Kanji letters. I know there are only 81 of them, or so. Still, I cannot tell a Kanji letter by name.

So, why not offer an input field (on your page) where I can enter the Kanji letter (like '月') and jump to the corresponding page (http://jjj.emuu.net/kanji.php?217)?

This works because Kanji letters are Unicode ( 月 = & #26376; ) and can be copy-pasted w/o problems. So, you would have to map 26376 -> 217 (in Unicode, in 'shift-jis' encoding, the one you use on your page, it would be different).

I really liked your page about the moon Kanji. Couldn't find the other letters.

EDIT:
I like the idea of the lookup, and will look into that. I'm also thinking:
-listing by English terms
-adding support for other languages
-allowing viewers to add more kanji and more terms for each kanji

> I know there are only 81 of them, or so.

No, there are thousands upon thousands of them. To get through a newspaper you need about 2000 of them. You need about sixty hiragana (and sixty katakana, sigh) to read the onyomi/kunyomi readings for the kanji, as well as the 'pronunciation' guide for each term.

But back to the cameras: My silver *istDS is coming up on three years of daily service and has no scratches or tarnish. It looks great and I expect the new model would as well.
03-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #99

The new color schemes are interesting, but what about the new cameras? So there's still been no announcement of the K200D and/or K20D replacement at the Photo Imaging Expo?
03-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
You need about sixty hiragana (and sixty katakana, sigh) to read the onyomi/kunyomi readings for the kanji, as well as the 'pronunciation' guide for each term.
Oops, my mistake!
I mixed up Kanji and Katakana

Using Google, you'll able to find http://www.kanjisite.com/html/start/jlpt/2/all/index.html. You will probably know this site. If not, you may find it interesting. I like your site better, easier to jump start
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
For me, I really love those silver/chrome cameras. Had a silver MZ-S before, sold it for a black LX (can't afford a silver LX anyway). Kinda regret, so I just bought it back
I love silver/black cameras as long as the silver is, you know, metal. However, when they use silver plastic instead of metal it just looks like a wanna-be camera from yester year.

On a side note, does anyone else find it odd that all of these camera companies use plastic on their $900 SLR's and metal on some of their $200 P&S cameras? It would be nice if Canikon would branch out a bit and leave some of their magnesium SLR's silver instead of painting them black.
03-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Ahh man!

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
The Cylon jokes can't be too long coming I'm sure given the Storm Trooper jokes on the White Km/K2000...

But I gotta admit that is Dead Sexy.
I just got uber happy and uber sad at the exact same moment in time.

That hurt (brain is messy now).

(Pouting...) I wannnn oneeee...

Trouble is I like my K20D so much I'd hate to let it go out of my hands, even if this one looks sexier.

Damn, that is one fooking great looking camera.

Wait.

I am a Denver Broncos fan, I'f I own one, I might be accused of being a Raiders fan... rethinking retooling..

Ill get back to everyone on this.

j/k

Carl
03-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nikuyakun Quote
Hiragani is a Japanese Syllabus and they most certainly do hold a meaning of their own which can't be compared to kanji (Chinese characters).

While Hirigana is often used to add Japanese particles to Chinese characters, it is also often used on it's own for words that are of Japanese origin and quite often have no relation to Chinese Kanji. It's all very confusing and complex. And while online resources can often be helpful they can rarely be relied upon when translating the subtle nuances of the language.

nikuyakun.
"Syllabary", not "syllabus".

I don't mean to be a pedant, but you spell "hiragana" more different ways than people here spell "aperture". I only mention it because one of the key points to grasp for the beginning foreign learner of Japanese is that there are only five vowel sounds in Japanese. Using the wrong one in the wrong place doesn't just result in a mispronounced word...it can totally throw Japanese as to what you're trying to say. When they mispronounce a word it is almost always through swapping syllables, not single letters (ex. my children when very small said おすやみ instead of おやすみ). Foreigners tend to swap out a single consonant or vowel. This different way of goofing up means that Japanese often won't recognize a simple mispronunciation as being such, and will instead think you said an entirely different word.
03-27-2009, 01:44 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
On a side note, does anyone else find it odd that all of these camera companies use plastic on their $900 SLR's and metal on some of their $200 P&S cameras? It would be nice if Canikon would branch out a bit and leave some of their magnesium SLR's silver instead of painting them black.
Same of us live in temperate climate were handling metal are very cold in wintertime.
03-27-2009, 02:00 AM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Same of us live in temperate climate were handling metal are very cold in wintertime.
...some of us live in a sub-arctic climate