Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #1

At last I know, what next camera I want...

Something like Pentax 645d with its great ergonomics and weather sealing.

But it should be mirrorless. EVIL.

With tilts and shifts of the sensor. It's of course impossible on a reflex camera but absolutely possible on EVIL. To supply shifts with existing lens, the sensor must stay the same 35x48 mm size.

03-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You could also AF with the sensor on MF lenses, and it would probably be possible for this to be one system with the SR system. I've been waiting a camera like this for a while, but I'd like it in 35mm, just so I can afford it.
03-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #3

I want some american company (lets face it all Japanese camera companies sleep on the same bed) offer a "open" mount system with FF and APS bodies.

- mirror-less design and short flange distance
- programable and swapable firmware
- multiple adapters that can use modern Canon and Nikon lenses and AF correctly
- open and patent free mount design to allow "chinese bootleg" lense adapters to get around copy-protected/patented gray areas.
- open grip spec to allow third party grips

The FF version should have the EVF build in but for the APS version its optional.

RED can do it if they want a epic war.
03-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wonder, if we combined our little bits of knowledge, and got more people on from other forums, if we could start an open source camera. I should setup a wiki on my server.

Last edited by nixcamic; 03-24-2009 at 10:43 PM.
03-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #5

Great, the camera I've been waiting for has finally been released... and it's a "Canon EOS 500D."

Last fall I splurged on Pentax's 50~135 2.8 lens, and love it. But I shoot A LOT of ice hockey, so performance in a poorly lit space is an issue... particular with my K100D. Looks like Canon's taken care of that. Plus, my first child will be born in three months, so video for the too distant grandparents-to-be would make my folks very, very happy campers. I know many purists here don't care for adding video, but such are the images that are going to capture the hearts of grandma and grandpa... and the boys at the rink would love it. And I can't afford two systems.

I do not want to switch over to Canon, so I'll wait until the successor to the K20D comes out... the K300D, or whatever it'll be. But if Pentax doesn't come out with something that will meet my needs, what do you figure a year-old 50~135 2.8 will fetch given the recent bump in prices?
03-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good lord, that new EOS 500D sounds insane... 15 megapixels AND video? What does it not have that we get with a K20D? Shake reduction?
03-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Good lord, that new EOS 500D sounds insane... 15 megapixels AND video? What does it not have that we get with a K20D? Shake reduction?
That, along with a rugged, weather-sealed body (the Canon Rebels are cheap plastic toys), 2 control dials, a bigger/brighter viewfinder, a top LCD, 11 AF points (of which 9 are cross-type), AF adjustments...

That's just off the top of my head.

03-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Forum Member

What does the 500D not have that we have...

-in camera SR
-larger size and better ergonomics
-weather sealing
-better auto iso controls
-1.5x crop compared to 1.6x (makes the wide end a bit better)
-wireless flash control in body
-top lcd panel
-theoretically higher frame rate at 22fps shooting higher than 1080p (I know its not video mode)

I am currently a Canon 5dmkII user and still consider pentax to be the best crop system on the market with the aging d300 a close second and the canon systems lagging far back. The canon system lacks balance, I went canon because of a few standout class leading features, but the system as a whole is weak. Ergonomics are far behind, weather sealing even on the 5d is nearly useless, errors here and there, no IS primes, poor button placement, pricing on their crop lenses is insane, and AF performance is way behind nikon. Not to mention we obviously have yet to see samples from this camera but if the 50d and this camera share the same sensor then iso performance will not be a big improvement over the k20d.
03-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
You already handeled a Canon xxxD ? Sometimes I wonder if that thing is supposed to self-decompose 5 minutes after I buy it.

PS: this is not to say that there's nothing interesting in that camera, just that Canon low-end bodies are toys. Even simple K-m is way better constructed.
03-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

In Canon language, the blue components are called "a stainless steel chassis"; while the red part is the only high strength plastic component. And it feels.
http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS500D/Images/construction.jpg

Otherwise, a xxxD is a very decent camera.
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If I was a Canon owner I would be annoyed because the company rolls out a succession of incremental model upgrades in such a short time frame that model obsolescence is a real concern.

EOS 300D > EOS 350D > EOS 400D > EOS 450D > EOS 500D... not including the EOS 1000D
03-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reassuring answers guys... I still think we should be begging Pentax for in camera video, whether or not you need it artistically... I for one use my camera for all sorts of documentation of fun travels and events, and I'm sick of lugging around an extra point and shoot just for video purposes.
03-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why the F&$K does it have 3 different names?

• US: Canon Rebel Digital T1i
• Japan: Canon EOS Kiss Digital X3
• Elsewhere: Canon EOS 500D

The naming of Cats is a difficult matter
It isn't just one of your holiday games
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.

Thank god Pentax limits itself to only two names per camera.
03-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Japan: Canon EOS Kiss Digital X3
Even as someone who was raised in two different cultures, and frequently works in another, I just don't get Japan. Then again, I frequently don't get Americans either, I guess I'm just used to their marketing. Maybe I just need to go to Japan for a while.

Edit: And I'm even more off topic than everyone else.

Last edited by nixcamic; 03-25-2009 at 09:43 PM.
03-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I totally agree about Canon feel. I used a 400D for a bit and sure, it takes decent pictures like any other camera but man! that Fisher-Price feel...

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
Why the F&$K does it have 3 different names?

• US: Canon Rebel Digital T1i
• Japan: Canon EOS Kiss Digital X3
• Elsewhere: Canon EOS 500D
It's to stop, for instance, European retailers to buy cheaper cameras from America or Asia and bypass the local distributors.