Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same answer as Mike. I'd love one, but right now that would be a $15K-$20K toy. And since I can't get off the bench to buy the 645N sitting on the consignment shelf at the local camera shop there's no chance of me popping for the 645D anytime in the foreseeable future.

03-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #17

i'd love to get one but I didn't study investment banking when I went to school.
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
The sensor and the camera electronics need to churn out at least 2.5 fps IMO so the camera could be used in more that studio or landscape work.
I'm a relative studio noob, but I haven't seen a case where 2.5fps is needed yet...ditto landscapes.
Hassies are 1.2fps for another viewpoint...

For the OP, yes I want one, but can't afford one. MF should have better DR than for studio/landscape and high end wedding work. Benjikan would be a perfect candidate.
A better question is why Pentax instead of Hassy/Leica/Mamiya/PhaseOne? Only reason is the existing 645 lenses provide an ecosystem, but if you have the bucks, why not just a $50K PhaseOne for max FFMF sensor size?
03-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

No...Not with a fixed sensor. I would rather have the client pay for the rental if the size of images requires a larger file. I consider all DSLR's as disposable camera's and thus would rather invest in good glass.

Ben

03-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

ben: what do you mean by "fixed sensor"? And out of curiosity, how popular is MF among fashion photographers you've interacted with (wondering if MF is still popular or have they gotten to the point where FF/APS-C is enough)?
03-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
If they were giving away 645Ds, then sure, I'd get one.

But where would I find the money for a lens?

If they gave away a free lens I'd get one!!

But then where would I find the money for a second lens??

in other words : not so much...

I guess I can hope there's a trickle-down effect and all the good things will eventually find their way into the next generation of APS-C DSLRs..
The trick would be to pick up two or three used lenses asap and sit on them until you can buy the 645D with the new 55mm. A wide angle for landscape, I wouldn't even need AF, one of the manual ones will do (landscapes usually doesn't move so fast), and a short tele for portrait. Then I would have what I need to get started when combined with the 645D + new normal lens.

But as much as I'd love to get one I can't realy justify it economically. But I might pick up those used lenses anyway, wait and see, get a used film 645 meanwhile, and then see what a used 645D might cost in 2012 or so. Maybe a used one as a 50 years birthday present in 2018? Big dreams takes patience.

In any case, I am looking forward to see what people will do with this camera in the nature and the studio. I have a lot of respect for some photorgraphers that used to shoot with the 645. And I have always dreamt of one (the first 645 was realy like a medium format version of the Super-A, my first Pentax SLR, so I'm sure I would have liked it). Doing my military service as a photographer and partly using Hasselblads made the love-at-a-distance even stronger (never really learned to like the square 6x6 format), but was never able to put aside the money, still drolling over used film 645's on ebay.
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #22

Oh, how I yearn to shoot something like this.

You know, a sweeping landscape on digital medium format is one of my greatest fantasies. As it is, there is no place to rent one of these for a couple days in my neck of the woods. I don't think I would buy one unless I felt pretty good about getting at least 50% back from the sales of prints, calendars, posters, etc.

Jason

03-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
ben: what do you mean by "fixed sensor"? And out of curiosity, how popular is MF among fashion photographers you've interacted with (wondering if MF is still popular or have they gotten to the point where FF/APS-C is enough)?
By fixed sensor I mean one that can not be upgraded in the future, like you can do on a 'Blad etc. A removable back or module design. Many Fashion Advertising photographers including myself use MF when required. It really depends on final usage and the demands of the client. For most magazine stuff I use the Pentax.
03-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I plan on buying two.

When I hit the lottery!
03-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
The trick would be to pick up two or three used lenses asap and sit on them until you can buy the 645D with the new 55mm. A wide angle for landscape, I wouldn't even need AF, one of the manual ones will do (landscapes usually doesn't move so fast), and a short tele for portrait. Then I would have what I need to get started when combined with the 645D + new normal lens.

But as much as I'd love to get one I can't realy justify it economically. But I might pick up those used lenses anyway, wait and see, get a used film 645 meanwhile, and then see what a used 645D might cost in 2012 or so. Maybe a used one as a 50 years birthday present in 2018? Big dreams takes patience.

In any case, I am looking forward to see what people will do with this camera in the nature and the studio. I have a lot of respect for some photorgraphers that used to shoot with the 645. And I have always dreamt of one (the first 645 was realy like a medium format version of the Super-A, my first Pentax SLR, so I'm sure I would have liked it). Doing my military service as a photographer and partly using Hasselblads made the love-at-a-distance even stronger (never really learned to like the square 6x6 format), but was never able to put aside the money, still drolling over used film 645's on ebay.
You can always buy my Bronica ETRSi system...
03-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Not worth it at twice the cost

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
By fixed sensor I mean one that can not be upgraded in the future, like you can do on a 'Blad etc. A removable back or module design...
Bingo! It's one thing to invest $5 to $8K in a FF camera that will be obsolete in a year after it's made you 10 to 15 times that amount. It's quite another matter to invest 1/4 of those profits in a digital MF system that can't be upgraded, especially if it's a new brand to the arena.

It's a whole new set of high dollar glass too, assuming the high dollar glass is actually available, and for a pro like you that's probably a two time investment. Don't drop anything you don't have a back-up for. It's a bit of a trick to hold your model's attention while your assistant makes a mad dash to Japan to pick up a replacement.
03-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
i'd love to get one but I didn't study investment banking when I went to school.
I DID study investment banking when I went to school -

I'd LOVE to have one -

but I won't get one -

because for me it would just be bragging rights, like the K50/1.2 I owned for a year, just so I could say I did (and so I could finally see what all the fuss was about) that I ended up selling.

Once I had used it for a couple weeks it never came out of the bag again.

I'd bet the same thing would happen with a 645D if I got one, and then I would just be one of those guys with money to burn, who drive prices up on scarce gear so real users can't buy them.

Of course, right now investment bankers don't have money to burn anyway.

[EDIT] But I might get a 645nII and shoot my nickname.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-28-2009 at 07:11 PM.
03-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I thought Bejikan picked up a 5D Mark II already?

Heck,

If Ben had to pay for it, its 10% less than $3,000.

Camera makers love to give Ben Equiptment. If I recall correctly somewhere burried in a thread here ,weren't all 6 K Mounts you have:

3 K10D & 3 K20D Gifts to you for your Gifted Abilities?

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Bingo! It's one thing to invest $5 to $8K in a FF camera that will be obsolete in a year after it's made you 10 to 15 times that amount. It's quite another matter to invest 1/4 of those profits in a digital MF system that can't be upgraded, especially if it's a new brand to the arena.

It's a whole new set of high dollar glass too, assuming the high dollar glass is actually available, and for a pro like you that's probably a two time investment. Don't drop anything you don't have a back-up for. It's a bit of a trick to hold your model's attention while your assistant makes a mad dash to Japan to pick up a replacement.
Originally Posted by benjikan
By fixed sensor I mean one that can not be upgraded in the future, like you can do on a 'Blad etc. A removable back or module design...
03-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #29
Inactive Account

closed system?
for me the back will be detachable as any other back.
pentax will shoot itself in the foot with a closed system.
a plus fof a back is that it can be used with view camera and technical camera. at least when i'll buy it i'll use it with a silvestri camera too.
03-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Actually 30+ megapixels is plenty for most commercial needs. The concept of a modular sensor back with options for higher resolution is interesting but may negate issues like weathersealing and production cost.

Of more concern is the sensor quality. I hope the sensor is a CMOS design rather than a CCD design and that it is NOT produced by Kodak. Seems like everything that has a Kodak involvement have been marketplace flops.

Recently I had the chance to view results from a product shot that were taken with the H3D-31, the Nikon D3 and our K20D using Profoto strobes. The Hasselblad naturally offered the highest resolution but the RAW file from the CCD sensor was the least accurate in colour rendition compared to the actual physical product. The D3's output was a tinge yellow but it was the one that most people favoured because it has a nice pop to it. Surprisingly the most accurate straight from screen was the K20D, which surprised many. Straight from camera output with accurate colour rendition is a must for the new camera.
Closed Thread