Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 645D, who wants one...

and why?

I am curious who on here is actually willing to spend untold thousands on this camera and what do you plan on doing with those images you take.

03-25-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi Buddha

Short of winning the National Lottery, nope…..not a chance in hell !
One thing which occurs to me however is, would existing 645 legacy lenses be up to the task of resolving today's digital sensors ? It's just that I regularly read elsewhere about the K20D's tendency for mercilessly exposing the flaws of lesser glass and I'm wondering if the same thing might apply, should a Pentax MF DSLR ever materialise ?

Best regards
Richard
03-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
and why?

I am curious who on here is actually willing to spend untold thousands on this camera and what do you plan on doing with those images you take.
My hope is that the 645D will be a Leica S2 competitor and not another Phase One or cheap Mamiya wannabe. The 55mm "standard lens" means either a 44x33 mm or a 45x30 mm sensor and I hope that it will be a state of the art one for the moment of launch. The sensor and the camera electronics need to churn out at least 2.5 fps IMO so the camera could be used in more that studio or landscape work.

Another important point is the availability and the price of modern lenses for it. Besides the "kit lens" and the "ultra wide" from the roadmap I guess one will need at least a short telephoto (like an 80-90 mm equivalent in FF) and a medium telephoto. For me all this lenses need to be w.s., motorized and with a state of the art digital coatings. I wish that Pentax will make those lenses based strictly to the size of the sensor used hence lighter and less expensive than "true 645 ones".

Also I think Pentax has more experience in building electronics for the camera (and the possibility to chose off the shelf parts like the Prime 2 or whatever image proc they will have in 2010) compared to smaller outfits like Mamiya and PO. They also I think have a greater experience in noise treatment and I hope for clean ISO 400-800 at least. Finally I hope that the camera autonomy to be enough for field use and also I hope for at least 2 SD cards - maybe more and even better in the new SDXC incarnation. BTW, I guess all digital MF work with CF please correct me if I am wrong!

All in all if this camera is to be a real market success I think it needs to be more than a cheaper MF like all the others.

Radu
03-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i would like to shoot with an affordable digital medium format camera, yes.

03-25-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Buddha

Short of winning the National Lottery, nope…..not a chance in hell !
One thing which occurs to me however is, would existing 645 legacy lenses be up to the task of resolving today's digital sensors ? It's just that I regularly read elsewhere about the K20D's tendency for mercilessly exposing the flaws of lesser glass and I'm wondering if the same thing might apply, should a Pentax MF DSLR ever materialise ?

Best regards
Richard
645 glass are so good that I am convinced they would still outresolve today's sensor's.
As for buying 645D my opinion is the same I posted on another thread by "fs999":

" I was ready then, I'm not now! I had no money then, I haven't it now! "

RuiC
03-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #6

If they were giving away 645Ds, then sure, I'd get one.

But where would I find the money for a lens?

If they gave away a free lens I'd get one!!

But then where would I find the money for a second lens??

in other words : not so much...

I guess I can hope there's a trickle-down effect and all the good things will eventually find their way into the next generation of APS-C DSLRs..
03-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
If they were giving away 645Ds, then sure, I'd get one.

But where would I find the money for a lens?

If they gave away a free lens I'd get one!!

But then where would I find the money for a second lens??

in other words : not so much...

I guess I can hope there's a trickle-down effect and all the good things will eventually find their way into the next generation of APS-C DSLRs..
Hi, bt*ist,

My infos are atm that they will sell this camera with the DFA 55/2.8 so you're good to go when you'd buy one. Of course I am not one of the official prophets of this place so ... what do I know?

Radu

03-25-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This system is for people who earn there income as a professional photographers.
I wonder how many people like this read pentaxforums these days? 5,10?

No, I don't want one @ 20K for the body it's exactly 10 times more what I am willing to spent on Pentax body as a hobbyist.
03-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I want one. It would be so cool to own one.
03-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would like to be able to rent one for important occasions.

This is not a camera to buy IMO, but I would be willing to pay a couple of hundred bucks for the renting of a complete system (body + card + lenses + flash) over a week-end.

Regards,
Guillaume
03-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Even if it was $1000, I wouldn't be interested. Nothing about the 645 has ever appealed to me. Just give me the best quality APS-C or FF Pentax can muster and that will make me happy. (I already own this, I believe.)

Jason
03-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When I need a MF camera for a paying gig (and someday I will by George) It will be a rental item billed directly to the client. For an every day pro shooter FF makes a lot more sense to me but APS-C is profitable enough for my needs at the moment.

From a hobby standpoint I'm starting to lean toward something "high end" that I can keep in a pocket that will be a part of my play days, but not the focus of them. I can't imagine a hobby shooter investing in MF, much less lugging one around for the fun of it, but hey, it takes all kinds to make a world right?
03-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
Do I need one for the type of shooting I do, ...no.
Could I afford one, ...no.
Would I want to pay for the insurance cover for something that expensive, ...no.
Would I like to have one just to see what I could do with it, ...of course....:-)
03-25-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I'll buy one, for sure
03-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do I want one? YES

Will I buy one? Probably NO

Why not? Cost to benefit analysis... $20K is way out of reach for what I do.

Mike
Closed Thread