Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Lens Prices jumps - anyone know how much these lenses are in Taiwan

Hello all

I am in Canada and have not bought any lenses since I got my Kit lens almost two years ago. I am ready to buy either the wide angle 12-24 and/or the DA 35 Macro. My question is this: with all the discussion of Pentax Lens price increases should I buy in Canada before April or should I buy in Taiwan.

As I will be visiting Taiwan in April it may be a good time to do my purchases then. Comments and advice are appreciated. TIA.

03-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #2

Honestly, there was a 12-24 for 629 CAD on prodigital2000 (ebay)... which was a very good deal... In USA they sell it for 699USD...

Now there's still a 12-24 for 650 CAD after conversion(add conversion rate on ur credit card purchase) and slightly more expensive pstage($18 in USD isntead of CAD). It's still a pretty good deal...

Myself I can't justify spending so much on simply a hobby even though I really want that lens. Maybe when I get job.
03-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I didn't find the price of DA 35.
The DA12 - 24 is 20600 in Taiwan dollar.

「eWhat计「Pentax SMC DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL IF ~纔借禬約à描 ~扳20600じ货地计мYahoo!集╃芥

BTW, Wellcome to Taiwan
03-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #4

There's not a lot of Pentax available in Taiwan, and it was 10~20% more expensive than in Canada. I bought my 50~135mm 2.8 while back in Canada last September and saved about NT$6,000.

03-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kinden Quote
I didn't find the price of DA 35.
The DA12 - 24 is 20600 in Taiwan dollar.

「eWhat计「Pentax SMC DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL IF ~纔借禬約à描 ~扳20600じ**货地计мYahoo!集╃芥

BTW, Wellcome to Taiwan
This store has gray market lens which is cheaper than regular lenses. Have to be careful as the warranty is with the store for a year and won't issue the international warranty card from Pentax. However, if you do the testing and find out its good then you are good to go. You can still do exchanges though if you find decentering or other lens issues. They also set up the lens focusing stuff to test the lens.
03-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jaboney Quote
There's not a lot of Pentax available in Taiwan, and it was 10~20% more expensive than in Canada. I bought my 50~135mm 2.8 while back in Canada last September and saved about NT$6,000.
Hmm where are you shopping for gear? 3C stores or dedicated camera shops? I go (mostly window) shopping quite a bit at the shops on Han Kou and Bo Ai near Taipei Main Station. Most all DA lenses and quite a few FA lenses are available at some 5 or 6 shops in that area. About 3 of those shops have display cabinets rather stacked with Pentax glass. Prices are comparable or better to US prices last time I checked, especially with the Taiwan dollar being relatively weak lately.

On another note, if anyone in the Taipei area wants to go shooting anytime email me at patrick.bizon@gmail.com
03-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
Hmm where are you shopping for gear? 3C stores or dedicated camera shops? I go (mostly window) shopping quite a bit at the shops on Han Kou and Bo Ai near Taipei Main Station.
Ditto: Han Kou and Bo Ai. I never bother with 3C, but FNAC can be worth a look (though I'd be surprised to find a deal there).
03-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
I go to Taipei every couple years or so. The last time I was there I ALMOST picked up a 77 mm limited for about 600 CAD after conversions. I knew at the time that Prodigital in ontario had it for about 750 CAD at the time but could not validate spending so much on a lens when I was just beginning. I found that the prices could save you about $100-$150 and the tax as well.

I have only shopped in the Taipei Main Station area so far and I think I will be checking them out again during my vacation.

04-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #9

You should get a much faster asnwer if you ask it in Mobile01
04-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
You should get a much faster asnwer if you ask it in Mobile01
I hope the thread starter can read Mandarin.
04-08-2009, 03:13 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
I hope the thread starter can read Mandarin.
Mandarin is the spoken language, the written form is called "Chinese" or "Traditional Chinese"

If you ask a question in a HK or Taiwan forum in English, most like you will get a useful answer in English.
04-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry, slightly OT but does anyone know of good shops for used Pentax lenses in the Hualien area? I doubt I'll be able to get to Taipei. We leave on Saturday so I only have a short time to look. I've seen a few new gear shops and one with a collection of rare old cameras, but not a place with any used bargains.

tia,
Steven
04-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #13

If you're looking for information on Taiwan, in English, the best place to look is Forumosa. Hualien's not all that big, so I doubt you'll find much selection of Pentax gear. Best idea will be to head to a Best, 3C, or FNAC.

Better would be swinging by Bo-Ai Rd in Taipei, which just across the road and a couple of blocks from Taipei Main Station. If you're flying in, I assume that you'll be landing at the international airport in Taoyuan then taking a bus/cab to Taipei, and the train from Taipei to Hualien. If you've got an extra hour, that's time enough.

Here's a map: http://www.trtc.com.tw/img/ALL/Route2200/051.jpg
(click to enlarge)

You want the area within a couple blocks of the intersection of Boai and Hankou Rd. (Which lies at about 7:30, relative to Taipei Main Station.)

As a last resort, you could take a cab there. It'll only cost you NT$70 (about CDN$2.75).

What lens are you looking for?

Last edited by Jaboney; 04-08-2009 at 11:29 PM.
04-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jaboney Quote
If you're looking for information on Taiwan, in English, the best place to look is Forumosa. Hualien's not all that big, so I doubt you'll find much selection of Pentax gear. Best better will be to head to a Best, 3C, or FNAC.

Better would be swinging by Bo-Ai Rd in Taipei, which just across the road and a couple of blocks from Taipei Main Station. If you're flying in, I assume that you'll be landing at the international airport in Taoyuan then taking a bus/cab to Taipei, and the train from Taipei to Hualien. If you've got an extra hour, that's time enough.

Here's a map: http://www.trtc.com.tw/img/ALL/Route2200/051.jpg
(click to enlarge)

You want the area within a couple blocks of the intersection of Boai and Hankou Rd. (Which lies at about 7:30, relative to Taipei Main Station.)

As a last resort, you could take a cab there. It'll only cost you NT$70 (about CDN$2.75).

What lens are you looking for?
Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm already in Hualien and I'm working, so I only have a few hours in the evening to venture out. We're scheduled to leave Saturday morning as well, so not many chances left.
I was hoping to find an old store with used lenses. I like the A series for personal use and would like to find primes from 20-300mm I thought there might be some deals here and better choice, but it seems I need to get to Taipei and I don't think that will be possible.
Oh well, unless there's a shop in Hualien I'll have to wait until next time I'm here.

cheers
04-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You would get a better price from Canada. The pricing in Taiwan is dearer than average pricing around the world.