Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
All DSLR bodies are Assembled in the Philippines. The more recent FA, FAJ and DA lenses are assembled in Vietnam.
Thanks! So this is "Good news, Bad news" kind of thing. It's probably not a good idea to buy any new body for the next six months because of all the new people getting trained and up to speed. On the plus side 200 people should be able to up production significantly. That has to translate into new models that Hoya is very high on.

Does anybody know how many production workers were employed prior to this?

03-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
this means that there's a new camera model coming and production is ramping up. There's a sign already that a new model will be release around the summer...
Could well be
03-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Well, maybe

QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
this means that there's a new camera model coming and production is ramping up. There's a sign already that a new model will be release around the summer...
Could be it means that they are completing the move of production from Japan to other countries. Goes along with the recently-announced cuts in Japan-based production and management staff (or production management, depending upon which writers are misplacing the comma).

I would like to think, though, that they're busy making my new camera - just in time for the big aero event in Oshkosh at the end of July.
03-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #19

Most of the camera bodies are assembled here in the Philippines, but I couldn't even find a DLI50 battery. I went to the island of Cebu last month, and could even find any pentaxian or pentax products at the mall

03-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffvictorino Quote
Most of the camera bodies are assembled here in the Philippines, but I couldn't even find a DLI50 battery. I went to the island of Cebu last month, and could even find any pentaxian or pentax products at the mall
Jeff, Pentax's manufacturing facilities are inside the Export Processing Zone, and meant for export. All production in their facilities are exported. These include dslr bodies and certain types of accessories. Japan HQ takes care of deciding where stock is delivered to, not the production facility in Cebu. Thus, even if you see Pentax dslr's for sale in the Philippines, these are "imported" items, and have no bearing on what is actually produced/assembled in Cebu.

Difficult to fathom, but that's the way globalization works, I guess
03-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #21
Forum Member

Great news!
Ofcourse i'm biased as I live in the Philippines (not in Cebu though).
03-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #22
Inactive Account

I'm unemployed however, if they wish to fly me out I'll start Monday :-)
03-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #23
Forum Member

My experience has been that Pentax are much better represented in the Philippines than the US, every camera shop in SM South Mall had a good Pentax presence with a store called camera haus having a huge Pentax display. The prices were very close if not higher than US prices. As for users the percentage of Pentax shooters seems higher as I have seen more people using Pentax Cameras (especially in Bohol) in the total of about 2 months then ever here in Arizona. If I could get a job at American wages there I'd move tomorrow edit: (not because of the Pentax presence)

Last edited by amicah22; 03-26-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: clarification
03-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I wish Pentax would go the Nik*n route... being made in Thailand, they sell their products there locally at reduced prices to capture the local market... if Pentax did that they would make a killing! (Seeing that every Tom, Dick and Juan here owns a DSLR. Especially obvious in malls where they all proudly display their Canikon neck straps! )
03-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amicah22 Quote
My experience has been that Pentax are much better represented in the Philippines than the US, every camera shop in SM South Mall had a good Pentax presence with a store called camera haus having a huge Pentax display. The prices were very close if not higher than US prices. As for users the percentage of Pentax shooters seems higher as I have seen more people using Pentax Cameras (especially in Bohol) in the total of about 2 months then ever here in Arizona. If I could get a job at American wages there I'd move tomorrow edit: (not because of the Pentax presence)
Funny, I was in the Bohol area a few months back, I brought my K100D as it was lighter... the hotel where we were staying was hosting a debutante ball, though the official photogs were using film cameras, I was surprised to see one using Pentax (I think it was a K1000 or ME) with three FA limiteds! Wow. I was deviously thinking of trying to trade my whiz bang digital Pentax for maybe two of his crummy old lenses! hahaha...(I decided against it though. I no doubt would have been beaten up to even try...)
03-27-2009, 03:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amicah22 Quote
That must've been some discount you got there since that same Camerahaus is charging $1000 for a body-only K20D currently. The other retailer of Pentax here has already shuttered its doors in one of the more frequented malls here, so Camerahaus has less and less competition by the day.

If you've been to Quiapo (which is for cameras locally what Akihabara is for electronics in Japan), I've only seen one store carry Pentax equipment there, and it's operated still by Camerahaus. All the other shops there don't seem to want to carry Pentax equipment.

You lucked out since SM Southmall had a Camerahaus branch. Most other malls don't.
03-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

A friend told me that SM North EDSA has a Pentax outlet.
You guys know that politics is too much in the Phils and that whatever item they (trapos) deem "luxury", they tax too much.
That is why electronic gadgets or digicams, DSLR's included, cost way too much than it costs abroad.
A good example are cars which cost twice as much also because of taxes!