Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Maybe the 645D in 2009 for 2010 is new only to you?

Heres a clip from Mike Johnston's The Online Photographer when the Pentax 645D was announced YET AGAIN:

"Sometimes I suspect that one reason companies announce things so far in advance of their actual release is because it means they get to show the product at more than one photo show. I noticed (with a certain bemusement) that Pentax is announcing its medium-format digital camera yet again. This thing has been doing duty as an upcoming product at photo shows for so many years now that I wonder if it qualifies as some sort of Orwellian perma-vaporware, as unending as the distant wars in 1984 (or Afghanistan). I'll probably have snow-white hair and not be able to remember the way to my rocker and I'll still be reading about the Pentax medium-format digital camera that's just about to be released. Generally, it seems a condition of the New World: seasons flash past with a cloud of promised products always hovering tantalizingly just out of view. Imagine the money our strapped car companies could save if they could keep showing the same new models and the same concept cars at show after show, year after year. It would sure beat the challenge of having to come up with something new for every exhibition."

The Online Photographer: And Let's Not Forget the DP2!

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
You're problems start when you venture away from things you really know such as finding the best bargain possible. Or writing in 250 separate posts what and when you bought and for how much (little?) money and what joy that brought to you seeing that now the same items are more expensive. In your half page post full of things ranging from half truths to pure nonsense or plain b.s. you made a series of presumptions about this "overdue to market, unissued, unspec'd & unpriced 645D". Of course when I corrected you with some facts you're only response was a condescend one which stated that is bad to do whatever you just did an hour ago. Well, in fact is bad for me to talk about what you talked a hour ago to be more precise. And the reason you and me cannot talk about modern, state of the art for our (???) brand "products they offer for sale today" is very simple. Besides the K20D which was an unfortunate victim of your bargain hunting skills you have none.

Now please can you do a thing you're qualified for such as crunch some rebates?
Radu

03-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #17
Nubi

They think that there r so many pentax 645 users, especially in japan, that 645D will be profitable.
BTW they do think that the live view is needed, and that ccd vs. cmos they have not decided as of now, or so they say anyway.
03-27-2009, 07:42 AM   #18

Ok, feeling some tension in this thread?

But I must agree with some guys here. I am sorry but I'm puzzled by the lack of some here to see things from different perspectives. Samsungian, I must confess I do "amire and envy" you, or at least the person you are preseting to us here in the forum, for obviously not having to care for the pricing of gear at all. Just buying three systems without ever considering the price/benefit-ratio sounds good and a little bit like a perfect world, even though one can get the impression more from a consumerist gadgeteers point of view than a photographers. But I am wondering how one can think this can be the only perspective a camera manufacturer should consider while doing his array of produts? I don't want to be offensive, but I guess you noticed that you unsettle some people who think some of your posts are just bitching around and not constructive in any way, and I must say I understand them.

To get back to topic:
regarding the possible crop-factor, I guess you have considered the fact, that the size of the 645 negative is not 60 mm x 45 mm but 56 mm x 41.5 mm. 60 mm is the height of the filmroll including perforation. I didn't know this before either and I haven't read it here, just wanted to point this out.

Best regards, dan

Last edited by MMVIII; 04-01-2009 at 05:58 AM.
03-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #19
RaduA

I am sorry to say this but you're one of the least logical person here. I say so because you sound like IT'S THE SAME F*&*NG CAMERA!!!! It's like saying that if they will make in 2011 for example a FF camera then Pentax waited 11 years with this model: MZ-D only because they had a prototype of a FF camera back in 2000.

UNDERSTAND IF YOU CAN that this is a class of cameras and the design will be probably vastly different from the 2005-2006 prototypes and you have no actual facts to claim that they will put that (2006) model into production. At least consider that before we know the datasheet and if you're wright then I'll call you a visionary. Also take into account that IF THEY WOULD JUST PRODUCE THE OLDER DESIGN THERE IS NO NEED FOR AT LEAST 9 MONTHS OF WAITING BEFORE IT REACHES THE MARKET.

In case you still don't understand : my bet is that it's a vastly modified camera maybe with a new Kodak sensor.

Radu

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Heres a clip from Mike Johnston's The Online Photographer when the Pentax 645D was announced YET AGAIN:

"Sometimes I suspect that one reason companies announce things so far in advance of their actual release is because it means they get to show the product at more than one photo show. I noticed (with a certain bemusement) that Pentax is announcing its medium-format digital camera yet again. This thing has been doing duty as an upcoming product at photo shows for so many years now that I wonder if it qualifies as some sort of Orwellian perma-vaporware, as unending as the distant wars in 1984 (or Afghanistan). I'll probably have snow-white hair and not be able to remember the way to my rocker and I'll still be reading about the Pentax medium-format digital camera that's just about to be released. Generally, it seems a condition of the New World: seasons flash past with a cloud of promised products always hovering tantalizingly just out of view. Imagine the money our strapped car companies could save if they could keep showing the same new models and the same concept cars at show after show, year after year. It would sure beat the challenge of having to come up with something new for every exhibition."

The Online Photographer: And Let's Not Forget the DP2!

03-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
Forum Member

Why is it that we are bickering about who likes who, and peoples bargain hunting skills? For goodness sakes Pentax finally gave us a real tid bit of info about a camera that could arguably be considered the first "pro level" digital released from one of the big DSLR manufactures. I for one am excited, I am no longer a Pentax user, but this gives me a reason to want to come back. I will not be able to afford a 645d anytime soon even at the incredible price being cited here, but it offers an upgrade path and indicates that Pentax will probably pull through this recession.

We should be debating which company will make the sensor, and what other lenses we would like to see, and what else Pentax needs to complete an MF system.

Pentax already had perhaps the most complete MF system on the market in the late film era and we can only hope that all transfers over. Hassy and Phase are a mess still, they have some great products, but there systems are far from refined.

If Pentax can establish itself in the pro market then it can rebuild its prestige. Think about how many people associate Canon with pro quality equipment and buy for that reason, or how many people see leica on panasonic point and shoots and immediately assume quality.

Finally, as of this moment there probably is not a huge market for a Pentax 645D in the US, or anywhere for that matter. However, Japan seems to be doing ok and if there were one place where a 645D might succeed it is there. In a years time though things could be different. I honestly think at least the US is on the rebound, slowly, but still there is light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps Pentax will release the camera in Asian markets and if North American and European markets have improved economically they will release a couple months later there. Depending on demand and manufacturing capacity it could be a matter of availability as well.
03-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
60 mm is the height of the filmroll including perforation.
120/220 film isn't perforated, and the roll is actually a little wider than 62mm. But there is pre-exposed frame mark and exposure number information along the side of the film, just like 35mm has.

Here's the Wikipedia article for reference.
03-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joerg Quote
Why is it that we are bickering about who likes who, and peoples bargain hunting skills? For goodness sakes Pentax finally gave us a real tid bit of info about a camera that could arguably be considered the first "pro level" digital released from one of the big DSLR manufactures. I for one am excited, I am no longer a Pentax user, but this gives me a reason to want to come back. I will not be able to afford a 645d anytime soon even at the incredible price being cited here, but it offers an upgrade path and indicates that Pentax will probably pull through this recession.

We should be debating which company will make the sensor, and what other lenses we would like to see, and what else Pentax needs to complete an MF system.

Pentax already had perhaps the most complete MF system on the market in the late film era and we can only hope that all transfers over. Hassy and Phase are a mess still, they have some great products, but there systems are far from refined.

If Pentax can establish itself in the pro market then it can rebuild its prestige. Think about how many people associate Canon with pro quality equipment and buy for that reason, or how many people see leica on panasonic point and shoots and immediately assume quality.

Finally, as of this moment there probably is not a huge market for a Pentax 645D in the US, or anywhere for that matter. However, Japan seems to be doing ok and if there were one place where a 645D might succeed it is there. In a years time though things could be different. I honestly think at least the US is on the rebound, slowly, but still there is light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps Pentax will release the camera in Asian markets and if North American and European markets have improved economically they will release a couple months later there. Depending on demand and manufacturing capacity it could be a matter of availability as well.
Yes, I think it was a wise decision to release next year and not now. There are some signs of improving economics so next year could be better or at least the nosedive will end.
03-28-2009, 01:59 AM   #23

Of course you are absolutely right. Guess i messed the sentence up:
"60 mm is the height of the filmroll including some borderspace, where there is the perforation and film info on 35mm."

I hope the message transpired anyway.

But thanks for pointing this out and your link provides a solid reference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
120/220 film isn't perforated, and the roll is actually a little wider than 62mm. But there is pre-exposed frame mark and exposure number information along the side of the film, just like 35mm has.

03-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Can anybody tell me how old this site is? PENTAX 645 DIGITAL(‰)

It has an SD+CF slot BUT the older Pentax logo. Could this be the 04 prototype? Is it new? Have they just not updated the logo?

Edit: From this link http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/other/2009/03/26/10547.html it shows the newest logo with the A and X connected at the bottom. So the link I posted above must be the first iteration. Plus the buttons on the bottom and left side are different on the PIE09 model.
03-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's 2 year old 645D version. March, 2007.
03-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
"60 mm is the height of the filmroll including some borderspace, where there is the perforation and film info on 35mm."
I actually had summarized most interesting bits for further use in this post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/535444-post48.html

Including some respective crop factors, surface comparisons and non-standard frame sizes on 120 film. And that perforation is a waste of space for 135mm film, but not 120mm film.
03-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I actually had summarized most interesting bits for further use in this post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/535444-post48.html

Including some respective crop factors, surface comparisons and non-standard frame sizes on 120 film. And that perforation is a waste of space for 135mm film, but not 120mm film.
Thank you,
I haven't seen this, good summary.