Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Samsungian,
Ha! Don't post here much any more-no one wants to see wildlfe photographed with nikon anyway. Hang in there.
bs, don't give us that, show us the pictures! i for one know i couldn't care less what you took them with, if they're good. i do care how you took them (what it takes to get them), but the camera brand will be my last concern. cheer up

04-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
hmmm, your point is good, but only if you ignore the human being involved. i am about to figure it out myself, so don't flame me (just yet) :

if you go over a certain weight (which depends from person to person, as mentioned by someone above), the human being will struggle to hold the lens+body in position, and it will start to oscilate, tremble, and so on, which generates shake of a nature which is hard to counteract (high amplitude, low frequency). added to this is disconfort in other muscles all around (neck, back, sometimes legs, depending on the shooting position). so i guess what i am trying to say is, you are right, but only untill you come close to the limit of the particlar humans handholding ability.

in an unrelated sidenote: your first statement reminded me some immortal words: (boris, selling a (ridiculously) high caliber hand gun): "heavy is good, heavy is reliable. if it does not work, you can always hit him with it.."
Yeah, I think I agree with nanok. While theory says that the heavier lens will be more stable due to the greater forces necessary to overcome inertia, the human will be applying greater external forces than (s)he would with a lighter lens.

We humans tend to muck up more good theories that way.
04-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #63
Veteran Member

nanok,
thanks for the comments. I just didn't want to break any rules or get flamed for posting subjects shot with a non pentax brand camera. I'll post a couple of shots later and see what you think.
04-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #64
Veteran Member

kent,

i am unsure if there is any rule stating that, but i will have a look. i would think though that, except for contests and such, there is no interdiction to do so. there is also a very healthy openness to discussing other brands very honestly and objectively on this forum (this is not a pentax co. forum ), and as most of us here are photographers, any photographer is trully welcome, and good photography is more than welcome too, regardless of brand. posting a question about a nikon lens in the pentax lenses section might be frowned uppon, and get the thread moved to "everything else", but what i was trying to say is that this is a photographers forum as far as i understand it, and photographers are welcome here.

i would love to see your pictures (a link to an online gallery will also do, to save you the trouble of reposting stuff you already have online).

04-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Such an impressive collection of gear, Samsungian... but do you ever use it to take pictures of anything but your gear?

And FYI, DPI =/= pixels.
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #66
Veteran Member

nanok,
I posted several shots on the post your photos section under per nanoks request. I have a host website where I sell my sports stuff. There are also some wildlife posted on there. Some shot with pentax, some with canon, and some with nikon.
PhotoReflect - Kent Vinyard Photography have a peek
04-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
However, I do own a 300mm 2.8 Tamron adaptall that is too big for K20D to stabilize. I get sharper images with SR turned off. So the idea that pentax stabilizes big glass is not accurate, at least for me.
Excuse me, but I have and use the same combination, and I tend to disagree. I have also found that the stabilization does a good job with the adaptall 300/2,8 and the 1,7x AF TC.
04-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #68
Veteran Member

There is a firmware update for the K20D that purportedly optimizes SR. Perhaps you guys have different firmware versions?

04-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This all depends on persons, really.

Personaly I have problems not to move too much with my Tammy 500/8 on my K10D. Fortunately SR is there for me but it is easier for me to hold steday my Chinon 300/5.6 (which is not much interesting lens lol).

There's a fork/interval, for each person: [MinWeight-MaxWeight]. Size does influences as well IMO.
04-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #70
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
SR doesn't stabilise the glass

Since SR works on the sensor rather than the optical elements of the lens there must be other forces at play if you are getting blurry images.

Back in the days before SR systems it was true that you would get sharper hand held results using a heavier lens combo. This is not only because of the difficulty in holding light weight things steady but also because heavy lenses usually have larger maximum apertures which means you can use faster shutter speeds which means less movement blur.

Of course you could be holding the camera lens combo so steady that the SR is trying to correct movement that isn't there. After all Pentax tell you to turn off SR when using a tripod.
04-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dark_Mist Quote
Since SR works on the sensor rather than the optical elements of the lens there must be other forces at play if you are getting blurry images.
The sensor moves in response to movement of the lens/body combo. It needs to know the lens FL in order to determine how much to move - if the FL is set wrong, the sensor can over/under compensate.