Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Samsung to Boost Pentax Partnership"

...says The Korea Times:
Samsung to Boost Pentax Partnership

Good news, I guess the upcoming camera will come in a Samsung version as well.

Who knows, maybe they've decided the NX may need some time and make a Samsung-brand K-m also?

03-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

"Samsung Digital Imaging has made much progress in the development of lens and image processing chips, independently," Park added.

"We have already secured complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) technologies to handle more data volume," according to the executive.

Citing a solid partnership with the Japanese camera maker, the executive said Samsung and Pentax have also been engaged in additional talks to expand this mutual partnership.

"Further details over the Samsung-Pentax partnership in the digital single lens reflex (DSLR) camera category will be unveiled, soon," Park said.

A new CMOS sensor eh? Certainly sounds promising.
03-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i'm interested in the image processing chips - it's been the same one since the k10d.

any chance for a PRIME II??

good to hear that the partnership is still continuing.
03-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
i'm interested in the image processing chips - it's been the same one since the k10d.

any chance for a PRIME II??

good to hear that the partnership is still continuing.
So they could use a similar sensor and just improve the image processing chips around it? What would that improve as far as camera functions?

03-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

How about a new version of the 14.6MP sensor with support for faster frame rate, HD movies and lower noise? I'd say it has to be done for the NX camera - why not using it also in a Pentax DSLR?
Afaik, PRIME is not a Samsung design.
03-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #6

It could be as boring as a video processing chip or as exciting as the co-ownership of the new mount.
03-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Pentax/Samsung to abandon RGB-sensors

Samsung has been working hard on the new sensor and have put some pressure on Pentax to come up with a matching body for it. Instead of the traditional RGB-filter, the new sensor will use a WOT-filter.

That is,

White
Olive
Titan

/Tommy

03-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely colors !
03-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Re Kunzite's suggestion:

QuoteQuote:
How about a new version of the 14.6MP sensor with support for……..HD movies ?
I'm probably becoming less forgiving the older I get, but I totally fail to see the point of incorporating a movie facility within a DSLR. It's not my intention to cause undue upset, but assuming that he genuinely requires this facility and can afford to do so, might I tactfully suggest that Kunzite purchase a dedicated video camera which is actually fit for purpose !!
I have to admit that when I initially discovered C***n had decided to follow this consumerist HD direction with their new 5D MkII, I was pretty flabbergasted. I simply pray that Pentax are intelligent enough to resist such a cynical marketing ploy by playing the "me-too" game, when (hopefully) releasing their next flagship camera in due course.

Best regards,
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-31-2009 at 03:54 PM.
03-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
I simply pray that Pentax are intelligent enough to resist such a cynical marketing ploy by playing the "me-too" game, when (hopefully) releasing their next flagship camera in due course.
If it boosts sales and doesn't add to the cost, what's the harm?
03-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Being able to do HD video with a DSLR is very interesting, considering all the lenses option/depth of field combination possible. Quite a few pro videographers are looking at the new DSLR because of those possibilities. The company that will benefit the most from video DSLR is the one that will come up with autofocus video. Then, it will rock. I can hardly wait for Pentax to come up with something like that.
03-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #12

Ok, This is not a specific dig at Confused, but at a general trend on forum, which really irritates me!

Why can't people type the words Canon or Nikon? Why do we have C***N and N***N or even worse the derogatory canikon that suggests that all people who do not buy Pentax are sheep, ill informed and stupid?

This is not blinking Harry flipping Potter, where saying 'Voldemort' out loud is bad luck on you and your family!

It's just cameras guys! I love Pentax, and bought for very specific reasons, mostly being build and legacy and the fun that can be had with that...but come on, lumps of plastic silicon and metal are just that, and they all do pretty similar things and they do them well. Lets grow up and stop being so obsessive, its just becoming hard to read the forum...

Ok, rant over, sorry to attach it to you Confused, it's certainly not personal, I just had a bit of a head fit!

:-)
03-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote
This is not blinking Harry flipping Potter, where saying 'Voldemort' out loud is bad luck on you and your family!
That's it! Now you've done it... *watches the black clouds congealing over your head*

Just kidding. I know what you mean, it's a little silly. It's like that annoying elitest mac guy in the commercials. (I have nothing against macs, if I could build one as cheaply as I can a pc I would have one)

I'm no too concerned about the next Pentax camera, though a new sensor could be fun. I think personally "my" next camera will be a now relatively inexpensive K20D, and my K200D will turn into a backup body.

I will say to some of the previous posters, i would love to be able to record video through the camera... what an excellent range of optics we have at our disposal if we could do video with it... video with a 10-17 fisheye? That would be unique to say the least.
03-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It is mainly to keep N**on and Ca**n users trolling this forum. With the aid of search engines, they can find where the camera brand is used and invade other forum to stir trouble. If you go on Olympus and Sony forums, some of them do the same. I actually don't mind a Canikon user discussing with us, but some of them think they are God's gift to mankind because of the brand they use. Since Sony, Olympus and Panasonic don't have the cult followers Canikons are having, they don't seem to have that superior attitude (yet???).
03-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hi Dave

Your last comment had me in fits of giggles….!

QuoteQuote:
Ok, rant over…….I just had a bit of a head fit!
To address flyer's comment:

QuoteQuote:
The company that will benefit the most from video DSLR is the one that will come up with autofocus video.
….which sort of reinforces one of the main points I was trying to make, when I said:

QuoteQuote:
a dedicated video camera which is actually fit for purpose !!
Invariably such converging product technologies often end up being poorly implemented and usually tend to suffer from way too many limitations, resulting in undesirable compromises.
Personally I would forego all such fripperies for a vastly improved autofocus algorithm/system, which is where I believe Pentax should be concentrating a sizeable proportion of their current technical and financial resources.

Best regards,
Ri***rd…….sorry, but I couldn't resist…lol !