Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
This is rather a misleading question, as there are only two of them on the market and they are first generation products. There's no way to tell what compromises will be made when this feature reaches maturity.

Already, though, I would argue that the "compromise" is that HD video is taking away time, money, and other resources from the R&D teams that would be better spent improving the features that a DSLR is primarily used for - e.g. better high ISO performance, longer battery life, better AF, etc.

I understand the need to stay competitive in the marketplace, but Confused is right - the history of dual-purpose devices proves that they are never as good as the single-purpose devices they were intended to replace (look at cell phone cameras, PDAs with built-in video players, or camcorders that claim to take good stills)...
This argument doesn't work until you can prove camera phone has worse voice quality than camera-less phone. And you can't.

04-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
This argument doesn't work until you can prove camera phone has worse voice quality than camera-less phone. And you can't.
They ALL have bad voice quality, and perhaps would be better if the manufacturer spent more time on the transceiver quality than cramming in a toy camera...
04-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #33
Pentaxian

A couple of years ago I was hoping that electronics giant Samsung would buy Pentax...I'm still hoping tht will be the case.

Money...real money and the electronic technology Samsung has to offer .
04-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Hi nosnoop

Re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
I totally do not understand this type of irrational fear.
I'm not altogether sure how you arrived at the erroneous conclusion that I've mysteriously developed a luddite phobia concerning new technology. Perhaps you'd be happier if I decided to dispose of all my DSLR gear entirely and went back to using an original Box Brownie ?

However, you were partially correct when you said:

QuoteQuote:
You may dislike the fact that you are paying for something that you may not use.
As for your second point:

QuoteQuote:
Has any current DSLR with HD movie function been compromised in its photographic function ?
I believe OregonJim's answer summed up my sentiments perfectly, when he said:

QuoteQuote:
Already, though, I would argue that the "compromise" is that HD video is taking away time, money, and other resources from the R&D teams that would be better spent improving the features that a DSLR is primarily used for.
This type of typical feature-creep is beloved of the automotive industry, where all manner of useless bells & whistles are added to a vehicle's specification, in order to add perceived value. Ask yourself, would your life really be incomplete without that must-have heated steering wheel option ? It's just that I can't help feeling that the same kind of disease is rapidly spreading in our direction, whether we really want it or not.

....and finally in reply to lesmore49

QuoteQuote:
A couple of years ago I was hoping that electronics giant Samsung would buy Pentax...I'm still hoping that will be the case.
Trust me on this one, for numerous deep-seated cultural & historic reasons, a Japanese company would NEVER allow itself to be taken over by a Korean corporation. Hell would have to well and truly have frozen over before that ever happened.......Period !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 04-04-2009 at 05:57 PM.
04-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote
Ok, This is not a specific dig at Confused, but at a general trend on forum, which really irritates me!

Why can't people type the words Canon or Nikon? Why do we have C***N and N***N or even worse the derogatory canikon that suggests that all people who do not buy Pentax are sheep, ill informed and stupid?

This is not blinking Harry flipping Potter, where saying 'Voldemort' out loud is bad luck on you and your family!

It's just cameras guys! I love Pentax, and bought for very specific reasons, mostly being build and legacy and the fun that can be had with that...but come on, lumps of plastic silicon and metal are just that, and they all do pretty similar things and they do them well. Lets grow up and stop being so obsessive, its just becoming hard to read the forum...

Ok, rant over, sorry to attach it to you Confused, it's certainly not personal, I just had a bit of a head fit!

:-)
BFD - if people want to have a little fun (its really a dig at DPReview) and type C***n or N***n or Canikon or the-brand-that shall-not-be-named, fine, let 'em type.

C***n
N***N
Canikon

C***n
N***N
Canikon

C***n
N***N
Canikon

My brain has already learned what those symbols stand for and reads them as Canon, Nikon and big-consumer-camera-brands, anyway.

And, oh, by the way, I'm all grown up, thank you very much.
04-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
If it boosts sales and doesn't add to the cost, what's the harm?
Weight and SR efficiency are inversely proportional. Cooling the sensor adds weight. A less efficient SR will consume more power whether you use the video feature, or not. It will, as well, provide less optimized stabilization. Are you willing to lose a stop of SR?

You have to wonder what the cost of live view was to SR in the K20D? I have to think the three minute limit on live view was a compromise to adding too much weight to the sensor.

This may also be the reason the NX was shown with optical stabilized lenses. Video in a Canon, sure. Video in a Pentax, I wonder?
04-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Has any current DSLR with HD movie function been compromised in its photographic function? Not at all.
Do any of the current DSLR bodies with video have in body stabilization? I think that is the issue as far as Pentax bodies go.

04-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
i'm interested in the image processing chips - it's been the same one since the k10d.

any chance for a PRIME II??

good to hear that the partnership is still continuing.
It will be called the Optimus Prime, Feature massive tires for running over humons and a great big gun for blowing up decepticons.
04-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A couple of years ago I was hoping that electronics giant Samsung would buy Pentax...I'm still hoping tht will be the case.

Money...real money and the electronic technology Samsung has to offer .
And DSLR knowledge which Samsung has about none at all.
04-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And DSLR knowledge which Samsung has about none at all.

Hoya does ? They have expertise in lens making...but making a DSLR ? No more than Samsung.

The real money and electronics technology is what I said...nothing about DSLR knowledge....that's the advantage...we're already seeing the Samsung electronic technology with the 14 something MO sensor in the K20D and although I don't have the financial worth of Hoya and Samsung at my fingertips, I would bet that Samsung is in much better financial shape.
04-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Soon.. G1 HD or as currently branded GH1 will shoot Image Stabilized video

I think April 24th Panasonic GH1 will launch bundled with their new HD lens. New lens boasts Silent af, silent image stabilization, so they say. We'll see in 3 weeks.

QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
Do any of the current DSLR bodies with video have in body stabilization? I think that is the issue as far as Pentax bodies go.
04-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I think April 24th Panasonic GH1 will launch bundled with their new HD lens. New lens boasts Silent af, silent image stabilization, so they say. We'll see in 3 weeks.
It is In-lens Optical Image Stabilization only, according to the specifications on DPR. Same as the G1.
04-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #43
Veteran Member

K20D Shake Reduction function usable in video clip mode?

Pentax inbody shake reduction, Sony inbody shake reduction, both have an advantage making most any lens stabilized. Sony even stabilizes their full frame A900 too.

However, I do own a 300mm 2.8 Tamron adaptall that is too big for K20D to stabilize. I get sharper images with SR turned off. So the idea that pentax stabilizes big glass is not accurate, at least for me.

So, does the first generation video function in K20D stabilize image in video record mode?

QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
It is In-lens Optical Image Stabilization only, according to the specifications on DPR. Same as the G1.
04-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #44
Veteran Member

So, does the first generation video function in K20D stabilize image in video record mode?
Huh? K20D? What "video record" mode?
04-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax inbody shake reduction, Sony inbody shake reduction, both have an advantage making most any lens stabilized. Sony even stabilizes their full frame A900 too.

However, I do own a 300mm 2.8 Tamron adaptall that is too big for K20D to stabilize. I get sharper images with SR turned off. So the idea that pentax stabilizes big glass is not accurate, at least for me.
Your assertions are meaningless without pictures to back up what you claim... please post some pictures with the exif intact to show that the SR doesn't work. I've used and owned a Sigma 400mm and SR works perfectly on my Pentax.

The fact you can come up with this statement seriously calls into doubt that you even own a K20D...