Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's what I want. Give me a K-mount EVF P&s. Take the prism and mirror out of the Km, use a sensor capable of constant usage (since the K20 has LV, assuming that sensor would qualify), and give me a pocketable mini-brick that mounts my existing glass, does decent at medium to high ISO, and takes passable HD video. Pentax standard in-body IS, a hot shoe, and articulated screen would be nice as well, but aren't critical, at least to me. The Km chassis wouldn't be as tiny as the G1 or NX, but it would be in the ballpark, and tons more flexible. It would need minimal R&D to bring to market, and most of the system accessories you'd need are done and already out there.

Don't want to get bogged down in the "what's the best focal length/range" or lose sales over it, so don't bother with a fixed lens, especially since it's using a APS-C sensor that you already have a interchangable lens mount for. Not including the lens would also drive the basic price down, which would be the price that existing Pentax users would usually be looking at. Sell a kit with the 18-55 kit lens, an upscale kit with the 18-50 2.8 (which would give Pentax a legitimate G10/LX3 competitor), a "traveler" kit with a 18-200 superzoom (which would give Pentax a legitimate bridge/superzoom camera), maybe a flash, and a body only option for the rest of us.

just my $0.02.

04-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
It depends if the lineage is more K-series dSLR or more Optio point & shoot. The latter are quite underwhelming in image quality, performance, and (except for weather-sealing) features.
Not really. I guess you didn't try many of'em.

Most of'em have nothing much original, for sure but otherwise they are quite good.
04-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Not really. I guess you didn't try many of'em.

Most of'em have nothing much original, for sure but otherwise they are quite good.
I admit I haven't used a whole bunch. I don't mean that they're terrible just, "eh".
04-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Wants:
-24 to 28mm starting focal length if a zoom...35mm FL if a prime
-Optical/mechanical SR
-Optical viewfinder
-Compact for pocket use
-Raw capture

Do not wants:
-All automatic everything
-"Digital" SR aka...hiking up the ISO or using NR software
-AA batteries

Needs to be under $400 for sure (it's 2009, isn't it? ) My "want" list is the reason I haven't bought a P&S and will probably not buy a Pentax P&S. IF they can make this APS-C camera happen for a decent price...I'm totally in.

04-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'd buy in a NY minute. Even a 4/3 sensor would get my money.
04-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentax will never release a P&S like Sigma's DP2. Pentax will always play "catch-up" with C**N**