Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible to have an electronic range finder feature in future Pentax DSLR?

a feature that i just learn from Nikon d60 of my friend.

several month ago i met a friend of mine carrying D60 with a Voigtlander 40 mm f/2 on the body. since it a manual focus lens. i learn that, i can focusing easily since d60 have a feature called range finder, which swap the exposure indicator with a focus direction indicator, which we can see it at viewfinder.

it really help me a lot at that moment to focusing object. i never have missed focus through all frames i took.

so, do you think is it possible for Pentax deploying that kind a feature in next model? i think people who love manual lens like the A-Lens or VL, will be 100 percent happy to have that feature in their camera.

----

03-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I dunno, I get focus confirmation with my manual focus lenses on my K20, same with my istD and K10. Adding in an indicator to tell me which way to turn the ring seems more than a little pointless. I mean really, if I turn the focus ring and the image goes farther out of focus, then I have a visual signal to turn it the other way.
And how do you deal with lenses whose helicoid is backwards? Do you have to set up the feature in a submenu?
This is, to me, another case of a feature being put on a camera for the sake of a feature, not for the sake of usability, and in the meantime, the dancing lights in the display just serve to distract.
03-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And how do you deal with lenses whose helicoid is backwards? Do you have to set up the feature in a submenu?
Not a problem on the Nikons, since they all spin the wrong way.
03-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Not a problem on the Nikons, since they all spin the wrong way.
I know that, and a lot of the third party glass matches Nikon, not Pentax, so the feature on a Pentax, combined with a Sigma or a Tamron might not work so well.

03-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
do you think is it possible for Pentax deploying that kind a feature in next model?
They've already got it - it's the "green hexagon" that lights up in the viewfinder when you've hit the proper focus point.

It doesn't tell you whether to turn the focus ring left or right, but personally I can't see how that would make any real difference - its already pretty obvious just by watching what's happening in the viewfinder to see which way to turn the lens.
03-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Banned

Pentax used a focus indicator similar to what you describe in its ME F . it had the current 'green hexagon' with two arrows on either side. as you attempt to focus, it will light up either left or right in bright red to indicate which direction to turn the lens. when proper focus was achieved the green hexagon in the center would light up. although the green hexagon isn't always 100% accurate the arrows are of help in some situations. if pentax was to implement such a feature I assume they will use this. it wouldn't be difficult to implement and would always be in the viewfinder if needed. this feature is rather pointless however on the ME F due to the split-image focusing screen the ME F came with. on that note, you could just put a split-image screen in your digital SLR and it will do basically the same thing, ie: show you which way to turn the lens to achieve focus.

Attached Images

03-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax dropped a lot of nice features over the years, range finder feature is one of these.
This indicators were available on old Pentax AF SLR cameras like SF1. 2 green arrows in VF were indicating the direction of focusing.
I personally wouldn't mind having this feature in DSLR. Sometimes in bad lit situations I can not see well my Katz eye split image focusing screen. In this case this indicators could be handy.
03-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
Pentax dropped a lot of nice features over the years, range finder feature is one of these.
This indicators were available on old Pentax AF SLR cameras like SF1. 2 green arrows in VF were indicating the direction of focusing.
I personally wouldn't mind having this feature in DSLR. Sometimes in bad lit situations I can not see well my Katz eye split image focusing screen. In this case this indicators could be handy.
Yeah, I'm with you. I don't have the Katz eye-screen (nor do I particularly want one -- I find the split-image circles distracting), and I'm often unable to quickly discern which direction to go without a lot of back and forth.

This may be something in my brain -- I always get flummoxed at eye exams when I'm asked to tell which is sharper, A or B.

03-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, they had to put this on the D60 since it doesnt AF with any old Nikon screw drive lenses!!!! They had better not try THAT on the next Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
a feature that i just learn from Nikon d60 of my friend.

several month ago i met a friend of mine carrying D60 with a Voigtlander 40 mm f/2 on the body. since it a manual focus lens. i learn that, i can focusing easily since d60 have a feature called range finder, which swap the exposure indicator with a focus direction indicator, which we can see it at viewfinder.

it really help me a lot at that moment to focusing object. i never have missed focus through all frames i took.

so, do you think is it possible for Pentax deploying that kind a feature in next model? i think people who love manual lens like the A-Lens or VL, will be 100 percent happy to have that feature in their camera.

----
03-31-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Yeah, they had to put this on the D60 since it doesnt AF with any old Nikon screw drive lenses!!!! They had better not try THAT on the next Pentax.
Nikon doesn't have anything like the DA Limited series.

And even with that, I bet Pentax is strongly considering it. It's an advantage Canon has had for a long time.
04-01-2009, 03:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yeah, I'm with you. I don't have the Katz eye-screen (nor do I particularly want one -- I find the split-image circles distracting), and I'm often unable to quickly discern which direction to go without a lot of back and forth.
That's too bad, as the split-image circle is the perfect low-tech solution for the problem of figuring out at a glance which way to go.

My first "real" camera was an AE-1 and consequently SLRs which don't have a split-image have always struck me as odd. First thing I did after purchasing my K20D was to come home and order a Katz-Eye for it.
04-01-2009, 04:51 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
That's too bad, as the split-image circle is the perfect low-tech solution for the problem of figuring out at a glance which way to go.

My first "real" camera was an AE-1 and consequently SLRs which don't have a split-image have always struck me as odd. First thing I did after purchasing my K20D was to come home and order a Katz-Eye for it.
I prefer the type of screen that's in my SV. if I could get one of those for my K-m id have a damn near perfect digital street camera. I was blown way at how fast I could get focus with my SV compared to my MX.
04-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I prefer the type of screen that's in my SV. if I could get one of those for my K-m id have a damn near perfect digital street camera.
I could do with the SV screen as well, provided I also got that honking huge-assed SV viewfinder to go with it.
04-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I could do with the SV screen as well, provided I also got that honking huge-assed SV viewfinder to go with it.
amen, to that.