Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
So it seems that next week is the big date for the new K3D with a Full Frame 27.5 mega pixel Samsung/Pentax CMOS sensor as well as Live View, Stereo HD Video at 30 fps with external stereo microphone input, built in "on body" stereo microphone with a proprietary wind cut system and sound zoom to lens provision, SR, New Sensor Clean ll, a new 25 point Auto Focus System with 32 point face recognition technology and iso from 50-6400 plus extended Low 25 iso and High 12800 iso. Will shoot at a continuous 5.5 FPS till the card is full. Not only that but the Battery Grip adds a Wi-Fi transmitter and augments the shooting speed to 7.5 FPS. I am impressed!

The recommended price of this baby will be $2995.00 and $329.00 for the optional Battery Grip...

Can't Wait!
I gather its going to be called the K1A in honour of Ben and its announcement date.

04-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

AWESOME!
Does it come in red?
It really needs to come in red.
Ketch-up is red.
Pentax needs a ketch-up camera.
A red full frame ketch-up camera.
That's what Pentax needs.
Red.
Full Frame.
Ketch-up.
AWESOME!
04-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what would be really funny is if this actually is true. I think that would cause more shock than someone realizing its an april fools joke.

In any case....Ben....this is cruel.
04-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

So it seems that next week is the big date for the new K3D with a Full Frame 27.5 mega pixel Samsung/Pentax CMOS sensor as well as Live View, Stereo HD Video at 30 fps with external stereo microphone input, built in "on body" stereo microphone with a proprietary wind cut system and sound zoom to lens provision, SR, New Sensor Clean ll, a new 25 point Auto Focus System with 32 point face recognition technology and iso from 50-6400 plus extended Low 25 iso and High 12800 iso. Will shoot at a continuous 5.5 FPS till the card is full. Not only that but the Battery Grip adds a Wi-Fi transmitter and augments the shooting speed to 7.5 FPS. I am impressed!

The recommended price of this baby will be $2995.00 and $329.00 for the optional Battery Grip...

Can't Wait!

Good joke Ben

04-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

a bit too over the top to catch anybody, ben. however, i would shit myself laughing if it actually comes out as ben says, that would be a hell of an aprils fool joke.

anyhow, nice one.

--
nanok_still_happy_with_the_k20d

ps: pentax, can we at least have the bloody firmware update for the k20d please, and not for 1st of april, thank you. (hint: DFS?)
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Most of the features he listed are found in other brands. The problem is that Pentax aficionados have been teased more than a few times with rumours of the latest and greatest showing up 'next week' or 'next month'. We are our own worst enemies when it comes to the rumour mill.

Due to the announcement being on April 1 (April Fools Day) it just seems to be one more cruel joke. However, if it does materialize it would be a nice upgrade for Pentaxians that can afford such luxuries as $3,000 camera bodies. (Not me!)

I remain cautiously optimistic.
04-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys are so out of date. Ben posted that on 2nd April (here). We already have had the camera for a day and I'm using it right now to post this message - that's right, built in wireless.
04-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
You guys are so out of date. Ben posted that on 2nd April (here). We already have had the camera for a day and I'm using it right now to post this message - that's right, built in wireless.
Yeah it is really nice, isn't it. The Wi-Fi is nice, because I hate being tethered by wire. Too dangerous. Someone might trip and fall, eventually pouring hot tea or coffee all over the model, me the client, the computer or a whole host of other possible victims. Speaking of victims, did you hear the news about the guy who went to see a man about a dog and came back with the man? Well his wife didn't get it and decided to sell herself on the black market. If that wasn't bad enough, she walked in to a studio where a team was doing an advertising production for a new perfume called "Tiarame". Security wasn't great and she wandered right in to the studio, past the hair and make-up artist and just behind the photographer. The photographer didn't see her behind him. He was startled when he noticed her presence and tripped over the cable that was tethered to his new Macbook Pro that although has magsafe, is not protected by ripped out usb cables and the tethered cable was that dreadful USB connection. Both the K20D, the Macbook and the hot coffee next to the Macbook flew in to the air destroying the Macbook, the camera and spilling coffee on the model, scalding her thigh and calf which destroyed her career as a lingerie model. The photographer was sued as well as the studio owners and the whole ancillary staff. Luckily, the weather was nice, so everyone just went out for a stroll in the park where another photographer was doing a shoot where he was also tethered. But guess what? No accidents for him. Because this wise photographer was using a wi-fi tethering device..

That is why I am so pleased with the K3D built in Wi-Fi Battery grip...No more cabled tethering...

Last edited by benjikan; 04-01-2009 at 09:26 PM.
04-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #39
emr

That is why I am so pleased with the K3D built in Wi-Fi Battery grip...
I always thought April Fools pranks aren't supposed to be continued the following day???
04-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I always thought April Fools pranks aren't supposed to be continued the following day???
Holy shit!!! Is it the next day already? Thanks for the heads up!
04-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Not Joking: There is one available already!

Grab a Canon 5D MkII, put on an K to EOS adaptor, we will have all that! End of the story.

Can't Wait!
04-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Needs a donut maker, think I'll wait for the K40D, rumour has it that both coffee and donut makers will be included in that model.
04-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depressingly it isn't actually that unbelievable! Although needless to say its still a blatent April fool!!!

OK. Reduce the MP to a figure between 14 and 18 and bring the sensor to APS-C and the rest of it isn't actually as insane as it first sounds - bar the obvious stereo HD video bit and occasional hyperbole.

- Wireless in the grip is plausible
- 5.5fps is plausible - maybe not till the card is full at full res (reduced res and who knows)
- 7.5fps with grip plausible - with above caveats
- 25 point autofocus system - plausible
- Face recognition - plausible (I'm ignoring the 32 point bit!)
- Built in stereo mics and socket for an external mic - plausible although the external mic socket would not be a high priority item
- The ISO range is too broad but still probably not beyond the realms of technical possibility

For a start the Panasonic GH1 does all the HD video bit. And Remember Samsung showed off a prototype wireless grip at one of the photo shows.

Its clearly an April fool but as someone else said all these specs exist in other cameras at the moment - although no one camera has it all. Yet
04-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
- Face recognition - plausible (I'm ignoring the 32 point bit!)
The cheap P&S cameras from Pentax recognize up to 32 faces...
04-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The cheap P&S cameras from Pentax recognize up to 32 faces...
Ah I see. 32 face. That makes sense, sorry I thought he meant something akin to the points in normal AF systems not faces.