Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Frankly the Pentax is OK if not nice, the other look like cheap Canon DSLRs: toys 'out of Star Wars' wannabe. In fact they look ridiculous.

04-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 645D looks very comfortable to use (no sharp corners) not to mention its ergonmics should make it easy to use for anyone who would also use a Pentax DSLR as a backup.

I like it.
04-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
the shape is very 645-like, it follows all medium format design patterns.

think about pentax 645N film camera - 645D looks like modernized film camera, and i find it way better than reinventing the wheel.

i like it!
You showed the old prototype...

This is the last design :

04-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks people for your opinions and presentation of interesting pictures, links and information.. i also was confused, that earlier was posted a not the latest design.. but now, things are clear..
but, not much has changed, what do I like more in the last, is the style of brand name Pentax, the earlier looked weird..

04-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Forum Member

The reason the S2 is smaller and more like a FF DSLR is because they designed a new mount for the system. Therefor the mirror can be smaller. The bulky design Pentax has presented is actually smaller and more attractive than the other camera's in its class. Keep in mind that the camera is not meant to be used walking around on the street or just snapping pictures here and there. You must be intending to use it in a studio and usually on a tripod, the pros shooting with these cameras rarely miss, they might take 20 shots in a shoot that you or I would take 200 in. Also if the design of the camera is effecting your model, then I suggest hiring a new model.

I do think it would have been interesting to have seen an MF body with full time live view so as to eliminate the need for the large mirror box. Tremendous quality in a smaller camera, but that would push to many pros away.

All that aside the camera looks comfortable ergonomically, considering how often you would hand hold it. From an industrial design perspective the front where it says Pentax it kind of looks a bit odd, but I am not sure how much they can really do with that. Honestly though not a single person buying this camera is going to think twice about anything other than its performance.
04-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The 645D is indeed compact by professional DSLR standards. It is about the same size (or more correctly, volume) as a K20D with the battery grip. It compares favourably with the pro offerings from Nikon and Canon and is just as portable and hand hold able. The lenses are about the size of canon L lenses...
04-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #22
Zou

QuoteOriginally posted by Elton Quote
Totally agree! The Pentax is the most professional looking by my terms, I do not understand why Hasselblad while making the most expensive and advanced digital medium formats today choose to design them as ugly sci fi toys? But by far the ugliest 645s are the Mamiyas. Which is a mystery to me as their 67 cameras are all fantastic.

The one negative side of the 645D is that it apparently cannot change backs, which means you have to buy a completely new camera in the future to upgrade, then again - it might not be the biggest problem...
A good part of the reason for the 'ugliness' is that ability to change backs. The finder needs to provide clearance for a range of digital and film backs, and being AF cannot get by with a WLF like the 67s . Pentax can give a cleaner look because it doesn't have that flexibility.
04-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zou Quote
A good part of the reason for the 'ugliness' is that ability to change backs. The finder needs to provide clearance for a range of digital and film backs, and being AF cannot get by with a WLF like the 67s . Pentax can give a cleaner look because it doesn't have that flexibility.

Actually, the boxy shape of the 645's is due to how the film and film transport is oriented in the camera - up/dowm. The Pentax 645's doesn't have interchangeable backs.