Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I feel this is yet another price gouge.

Pentax Canada wants me to believe that the "true cost" of producing the 50-135 is that much more then the cost to produce the Tokina version? ($950 vs $1,800 CAD)

Then I notice that the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM is $2,150.00, so $350.00 more then the pentax. But it is a FF lens, I can also use it with film. Do I really *need* the IS lens? or would the $1570.00 non-IS lens do for me? Now its cheaper then the Pentax. Is there ever alot of choice in the Canon line. Never noticed that before.

I have been waiting to see if the Pentax vision of a Camera system matches my vision of a camera system. In the last year they have anounced a stripped down entry level camera (in three colours yet!), a Silver K20D (It would look sooo bling as I cruise the streets in my purple Impala), and a 645D (if I had $10,000 to spend it would not be on a camera).
Then they jack prices. So now I will wait a little more to see if Pentax will anounce anything that will keep me.

Whatever replaces the K20D had better help me justify the *screwed* feeling in the pit of my stomache the next time I buy one of their lenses.

And that is the heart of the matter. The lenses. Yes they are some of the very best on the market today. But do I really think I'm going to be using an APS-C 50-135 zoom ten years, let alone 3 years from now? Bodies come and go. Is there long term value in APS-C glass?

I should rephrase. Is there long term value in being gouged for APS-C glass?

04-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You make some excellent points, particularly these ones concerning APS-C that I never thought of before:
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
And that is the heart of the matter. The lenses. Yes they are some of the very best on the market today. But do I really think I'm going to be using an APS-C 50-135 zoom ten years, let alone 3 years from now? Bodies come and go. Is there long term value in APS-C glass?

I should rephrase. Is there long term value in being gouged for APS-C glass?
Even though I've recently realized that Pentax will not go the route of full-frame (if so, they'd still be pumping out lenses like the FA 35 f/2.0 instead of relying on warehouse inventories and discontinuing other FA and FA* lenses), and even though I'm building a system around the APS-C format, you're right - will it go the way of the dodo in a few short years? Will manufacturers be able to innovate this format much more for much longer given that anything above 14-15MP introduces more noise and thus lower image detail and quality?

My discoveries these past couple of days about the Pentax price gouging for their APS-C glass - charging nearly as much for, if not more than, full-frame glass - and realizations like your posts and others have made me wonder if I'm not just pouring money into a sinking ship. Should I have bit the bullet and gone for a full-frame system a la Canon/Nikon, especially now that Pentax no longer offers a price advantage? Are full-frame and medium format, or a different format that's in the works, going to be the only choices in 5 years?

Good thoughts, KungPOW and others, and thought provoking for me to say the least!
04-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I used to ask this same question re. Pentax prices in Australia, because even after currency conversion and less 10% for GST they were still 50-60% higher than in the US.

Interestingly when the K20D was released, it (and all its combos with lenses) were priced practically same as US prices equivalent plus 10% GST. It proved that could be done if Pentax wanted to, and the earlier high prices were just gouging.

I suspect Pentax Canada is "trialling" the Australian model, I mean 20% currency adjustment plus 50-60% artificial premium equals 80% jackups.
04-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Woah lucky i bought my Pentax 35mm f2.0 when i did even if it is 2nd hand

04-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
I used to ask this same question re. Pentax prices in Australia, because even after currency conversion and less 10% for GST they were still 50-60% higher than in the US.

Interestingly when the K20D was released, it (and all its combos with lenses) were priced practically same as US prices equivalent plus 10% GST. It proved that could be done if Pentax wanted to, and the earlier high prices were just gouging.

I suspect Pentax Canada is "trialling" the Australian model, I mean 20% currency adjustment plus 50-60% artificial premium equals 80% jackups.
Truth be told the same goes for virtually any product except tap beer. A 42 inch sony TV is $1300AUD over here, what is it there, $2200?

Sydney i sprobably the most expensive civilised city ont he face of the earth shy of fake places like Monaco.