Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

A Response Letter from Pentax; Price Increase.

I wrote Pentax a brief letter concerning their increase on lenses. Here is Pentax Canada's response:

QuoteQuote:
Hello Mr. Juett,

Thank you for your email regarding our recent price changes.

For the last several months, we, like other companies, have been affected by the fluctuating exchange rate of the Canadian Dollar vs. the US Dollar and the Japanese Yen. Some of our competitors raised their prices earlier in the year to reflect these fluctuations but we strived to hold our prices for as long as possible. Unfortunately, because of the currency fluctuations as well as price increases that we have incurred from our factory, we had no choice but to increase the price on some of our products on April 1st. Pricing of some items were affected more than others. The price changes reflect not only changes due to currency fluctuations but also reflect the true cost of production for each individual item. The price changes were in no way meant to penalize PENTAX users but reflect PENTAX Canada Inc.'s true cost of the product in the current market conditions. Should the Canadian Dollar strengthen through 2009, we will endeavor to pass these savings on to our customers.

Even with the recent price increases, we feel that many of our products still offer a price advantage compared to competitor products with similar features.

We thank you for your continued support of our products.

Sincerely,
Pentax Customer Service Team

04-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
I wrote Pentax a brief letter concerning their increase on lenses. Here is Pentax Canada's response:
So the Philippines and Vietnam are gouging us? Since all lens production has been moved from Japan to Vietnam this "argument" (other then the yen rate) holds little water.
04-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
So the Philippines and Vietnam are gouging us? Since all lens production has been moved from Japan to Vietnam this "argument" (other then the yen rate) holds little water.
Vietnam and Philipines doesn't mean the cost difference is recovered. BTW, the move from Japan to those countries of the production which remained in Japan has only been announced but not done yet.

Furthermore, currencies fluctuation also concern Philipines and Vietnam.
Moreover, Pentax Canada did move the price up (quite much I agree) but this is only Canada, in other countries, there has been price increase but not up to that point which suggest that indeed the c**p is partly due to Canadian currency.

Remember Pentax canada is company on its own, subsidiary maybe (I dunno) but still a company. Pentax Canade has to be profitable and the conditions required to do so are heavily dependent on product value coming from factories (not much different from US I guess) but also to currency situation, local business rules (taxes & co.) fonaly, the way Pentax Canada handle their business (which may be badly I dunno).

Claiming the outsourcing to Vietnam and Philipines solves the whole thing about profitability is (IMO) either not smartly thought of or shortsighted without any more precise information.

That all being said, I feel bad for my fellow Canadian Pentaxers. Really
04-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting that when our Canadian dollar was as high as 1.10 to the US, staying above even par for sometime and there was no price break. This always seems to be a one way street IMO. JIM

04-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Interesting that when our Canadian dollar was as high as 1.10 to the US, staying above even par for sometime and there was no price break. This always seems to be a one way street IMO. JIM
This should be our reply to the letter from Pentax Canada, see what they have to say now.
04-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #6

Pentax price hikes

From Feb 2 2009 Pentax increased the prices of FA and A lenses by 20 percent. That included priceless objects such as the 31mm and 77mm Limiteds.

Perhaps this answers some of your concerns?
04-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Everyone does this, not just Pentax, and not just in Canada.

04-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #8

Pentax Canada is a joke.

When you have a price increase of 100% and try to say the dollar is the reason is beyond flawed. 20% increase would be correct as all the Asian companies I deal with use US$ currency. Maybe PentaxJapan trades in Pesos?

Pentax Canada is so old and tired I don't even bother emailing them any longer. Plus the fact that it is hard to find Pentax in most photographic stores shows how bad a job they do here. Pricing is close to C or N that I cannot see why anyone not knowing anything about cameras would buy Pentax in Canada.

Outside of us that want Pentax and are diehards, there is no value add, no upgrade path and limited choices of long lenses for new customers.

Definitely not a smart move on their part.
04-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've noticed how some Canadian retailers have gone along with some of the pretty massive increases, ex. $929 before --> $1,500 since increase for the 50-135 DA f2.8 at one store, while others have only slightly increased their prices.

Smooth move, Pentax Canada. If I can't find a good price at a Canadian retailer, I'll just go online and buy American and pay less even with exchange and shipping. Way to shoot your Canadian retailers in the foot. I suppose they'd care more if Pentax wasn't more than a drop in the bucket of their total sales; now this will make that drop even smaller. Maybe I should have gone with Canon/Nikon; at least they don't drop a bomb like this during a recession.
04-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

We in Sweden/Scandinavian got or price shock in January.
Now Pentax are top products and Carl Zeiss are second
FA31 = SEK12.395:- and Zeiss Distagon T*35/2 ZK = SEK7.795:-
FA43/1,9 = SEK6.190:- and Zeiss Planar T* 50/1,4 = SEK5640:-
FA77/1,8 = SEK10.090:- and Zeiss Planar T* 85/1,4 = SEK9850:-
04-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #11

I have a question for everyone here...

With the new price increases, what is the chance you will buy a new Pentax lense that has increased in price?

I am not buying anything Pentax outside of maybe a body. Then again since I am not brand loyal, I may continue with Canon as I have access to Canon lenses and can afford ones like the 200 f/2.8 they sell for 3/4 of the price of Pentax equivalent.

Not interested in bashing Pentax, just want to see if anyone here would pay the higher prices. Hopefully Pentax Canada visits this site and actually cares about their jobs.
04-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
With the new price increases, what is the chance you will buy a new Pentax lense that has increased in price?

I am not buying anything Pentax outside of maybe a body. Then again since I am not brand loyal, I may continue with Canon as I have access to Canon lenses and can afford ones like the 200 f/2.8 they sell for 3/4 of the price of Pentax equivalent.

Not interested in bashing Pentax, just want to see if anyone here would pay the higher prices. Hopefully Pentax Canada visits this site and actually cares about their jobs.
Price increase has been moderate here in european countries having Euro currency e.g. the DA16-50 has gone from 650 to 750 Euros. OK, not like 2X like in other countries (Canada?). I have neither more or less possibility to buy this lens.

That said, due to currencies crap, buying in the US (like a friend going there etc.) is not interesting any more (with a couple exceptions). But I can live with that. I feel sorry for others would endure a lot higher price increase.
04-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've used your earlier 50-135mmSDM Sweden Price spike example before: Here &Elsewhere

But I never got any traction stating it. Your initial price increases occured like 2 or 3 months ago right? I believe Sweden was 1st country to see the Pentax Lens Price Spike Executed.

Nikon did this too. Nikon Began raising price by by country starting in September 2008. Some countries got two price increases like UK.

Me? I acted on Jan 14th 2009 , just a few minutes after the Nikon USA price increases were announced and saved $1,000 in a few days in buying my fantasy starter kit. Many retailers raised their Nikon prices up within minutes and days, so a couple weeks ahead of official price increase to USA market.

Seeing some Pentax lenses cost more than Leica equivilents in your country is something I thing we'll all see eventually.

Shocking, Pentax glass in Sweden is priced on par with Leica lens costs!

But one may appear to be a visionary if you buy new today, then use the lens for a few years and sell it for much more than you paid brand new.

Every Canon & Nikon item I bought new from Feb 2008 till now except for two 5D sell for more than I paid new, some are up over 20% each due to my thrifty purchasing prior to Christmas 2008 during canon's instant money off rebates at point of purchase. With the internet its been rather easy for me to see this devaluation of currency tidalwave overtake the planet, one country at a time. Pentax launching K20D for $1299 on 1-23-2008 was The Last Straw for me & thats why I added Canon Full frame dslrs and lenses and assessories to my tools kit. I was so pissed the K20D started off over $300 (((More))) than K10D launched at:

$919 vs $1299 & I took my money elsewhere...

Funny thing is Camera equiptment aquistions for most people is for their hobby, & not tools for a profession that gives them 51% or more income this year or last year. These inflated lenses will not sell at a certain price point. I guess Pentax among other want to see just how much people will pay for a bit of glass and plastic and metal and technology. In my mind lens cost nothing really once R&D for each is recouped, lenses cost pennies to manufacture versus dealer wholesale and even fewer total pennies or cents versus retail pricing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
We in Sweden/Scandinavian got or price shock in January.
Now Pentax are top products and Carl Zeiss are second
FA31 = SEK12.395:- and Zeiss Distagon T*35/2 ZK = SEK7.795:-
FA43/1,9 = SEK6.190:- and Zeiss Planar T* 50/1,4 = SEK5640:-
FA77/1,8 = SEK10.090:- and Zeiss Planar T* 85/1,4 = SEK9850:-

Last edited by Samsungian; 04-04-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: (((More)))
04-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster

I'll buy used. Right now I'm using 35mm film only so that's a given. Even if I had Pentax digital at this point I'd still buy used. The used market is huge and you'll find great deals.

As for brand loyalty, my Dad used Pentax since 1964 so I was "brought up" on the name. I've used Pentax dSLRs and many different lenses and like the Pentax brand a lot. However, Nikon is also a brand I've used in the past. At this very moment, if I had the money, it would be a tough call to see who would get my business.
04-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Not on your life!! Pentax Canada can shove their price increases you-know-where! Here's my new strategy as a Canadian:
  • I'll look for those Canadian retailers that haven't jacked prices yet. I splurged today and got the 35mm DA f2.8 for $449 CDN from McBain's while I still can; hopefully they stay the course and resist Pentax Canada's pressure. Everywhere else in Canada it's at least $675 right now.
  • Once all Canadian retailers have jacked their prices, I'll order from the U.S.
  • Once (if?) U.S. retailers jack their prices as well, I'll start buying Sigma/Tamron to protest Pentax, as they'll surely be cheaper by then and the same if not better quality than the more expensive Pentax equivalent. There's no way I'll pay $1,500 CDN for the Pentax 50-135, for example, when I can pay $1,200 and get the Sigma 70-200 or the Sigma 50-150.