Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
contradictious declarations from Pentax

August 24, 2007:
"The medium format digital SLR is no longer a priority for Pentax."
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/pentax_645_digital_no_longer_priority_news_139145.html

September 29, 2008:
"Pentax are less keen on pursuing the other professional alternative, a high-end 35mm full-frame camera."
Pentax and Samsung Partnership Not Perfect | PhotographyBLOG

what comes in 2009?

???

04-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
White and Green plastic cameras...(nt)

QuoteOriginally posted by Adnan EROL Quote
August 24, 2007:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/pentax_645_digital_no_longer_priority_news_139145.html

September 29, 2008:
"Pentax are less keen on pursuing the other professional alternative, a high-end 35mm full-frame camera."

what comes in 2009?

???

Cheers,
Cameron
04-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm guessing the insinuation that Pentax could come out with a FF in 09~10.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

In '07 they said that because that was truly the case; the fact that 645D was dead till a couple of weeks ago is testament to that fact. If it were a priority back then, there'd already be a 645D on the market today.

The reason they had to make that statement has to do with the fact that 645D was on their roadmap prior to that, and then they dropped it in '07.

In contrast, an FF is not, and was never on Pentax's roadmap. That situation hasn't changed a bit since '08. In fact, now that 645D is resurrected, and is apparently going to be aimed right around that professional to highend prosumer pricepoint, I think there's even less of a chance that Pentax will develop an FF.

I'm fine with that; I'll enjoy my K20D and whatever comes after that. For fullframe work I want/need to do, I'll just buy a Canikon. Oh wait, what's this? Why, it's my used 5D I just picked up today ;-)
04-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even now MF isn't a priority for them, so nothing contradictory there. And as of yet, no mention of a FF, none there either.

04-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
I'm fine with that; I'll enjoy my K20D and whatever comes after that. For fullframe work I want/need to do, I'll just buy a Canikon. Oh wait, what's this? Why, it's my used 5D I just picked up today ;-)
Traitor!!

Nah...it's cool...you're on a couple other forums I frequent as well Unlike a couple Pentax trolls who've already posted in this thread, I think there shouldn't be a brand bias. I prefer Pentax but wouldn't turn down a 5D (or even a 40D) at the right price.
04-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Also, Silver !

Near the end of this year!

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Cheers,
Cameron
04-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

"Bad" "news" brings the trolls out of the woodwork! Wow!

We're missing a couple but the bases are pretty much covered It's still one page one though

(Yes. "Bad" and "news" deserve their own quotes since this thread is really neither.)

04-05-2009, 02:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
...insinuation that Pentax will come out with a FF in 2010.
if we can manage to wait for one more year, there will be no reason to move Canikon world...
04-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
RaduA

Maybe you missed one minor fact in between those 2 statements: Hoya taking over Pentax! It's like expecting that a new government to follow exactly the same policies as those of the previous one.

On a side note like I said dozens of times before I guess the reason many here and on other fora want a Pentax FF camera is precisely the reason why Hoya doesn't want to make one: the usage of legacy glass from the M42 Taks up to latest DFAs and FA LTDs. What is profitable to you I am afraid is not for Hoya meaning to invest big R&D money for a very limited number of bodies and even fewer new lenses sold. For me at least it makes a lot more sense for them to:

Resolve as fast as possible the problems that cheapen the brand such as AF perceived as slow in some circumstances, lower fps, poor reliability of SDM lenses, old image processor in need of a change for better responsiveness and noise control

and after that

Restructure the lens line-up within a global strategy for the future of the brand with ranges like:

- Small/premium - DA Limiteds;
- Weather sealed consumer lenses for the K300D with motors and contrast AF ready;
- Professional DA* II lenses mechanically modified to accept ring motors and without shaft inside marketed in paralel with current ones for customers to chose either better speed or compatibility;
- Redone of the best lenses from the recent past with modern mechanics, motors and latest in design/glass/digital coatings following the FA*200 reincarnation in the DA* 200. Likely candidates are the 3 FA LTDs, FA* 200/4 Macro, FA* 85/1.4, FA* 135/1.8, FA* 24/2, a modern version of a 50/1.2, maybe some long tele glass from the past improved).

Even if I am close to the truth all those will take many years and my personal feeling is that Pentax will become more and more a premium brand with prices to match.

Radu

QuoteOriginally posted by Adnan EROL Quote
August 24, 2007:

September 29, 2008:

what comes in 2009?

???
04-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
On a side note like I said dozens of times before I guess the reason many here and on other fora want a Pentax FF camera is precisely the reason why Hoya doesn't want to make one: the usage of legacy glass from the M42 Taks up to latest DFAs and FA LTDs. What is profitable to you I am afraid is not for Hoya meaning to invest big R&D money for a very limited number of bodies and even fewer new lenses sold. Radu

You may have said it dozens of times but it is still completely and totally wrong.
04-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You may have said it dozens of times but it is still completely and totally wrong.
Sorry, oh mighty Teacher and Holder of the absolute truth! In the future I shall send you a draft of my posts before putting them here and would you please enlighten me?!

Radu
04-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Even if I am close to the truth all those will take many years and my personal feeling is that Pentax will become more and more a premium brand with prices to match.

Radu
This statement makes it sound like you have made a significant shift in where you think Pentax is headed, or am I reading you wrong. A premium brand with prices to match will certainly not grab a very large market share which is what you were convinced Pentax was going to be able to do.

Are you now saying Pentax is going to become a niche player? If so welcome aboard! The definition of your niche may not be the one they go after but I do agree it needs to be a niche market.
04-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

But is so true that by not lining up with current marketing policies of other brand (see the logo "make use of more then 20 million lenses Pentax made along the years"), they are loosing lots of money.
Other makers sell bodies that force you to buy new lenses. And let's be true, lenses are the big fish to catch, in the eyes of a maker. That's where the big money are.
Pentax on the other hand is selling a few bodies, a couple of lenses, and so many users make use of granpa's glass.

Which is cool, but not very efficient for Pentax.
04-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
This statement makes it sound like you have made a significant shift in where you think Pentax is headed, or am I reading you wrong. A premium brand with prices to match will certainly not grab a very large market share which is what you were convinced Pentax was going to be able to do.

Are you now saying Pentax is going to become a niche player? If so welcome aboard! The definition of your niche may not be the one they go after but I do agree it needs to be a niche market.
Well, Ken, first of all hello to you, it's been a while since we exchanged views about Pentax. The way I see the Pentax future is linked to their expressed wish for 10% market share in a few years. Well, if we are at it Sony wanted 20% for sometime now and we all know how this end up for them. But, still 10% (compared to 3.5-4.5% of the 2008) doesn't qualify them as a "niche player" IMO. Maybe a "medium player with both standard and niche products" will be a more accurate definition. All I am saying is that I see them increasing big time the price and hopefully quality and performance on the "niche products" both now and in the future. And unfortunately these are the ones most of us here care about.

Radu
04-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
But is so true that by not lining up with current marketing policies of other brand (see the logo "make use of more then 20 million lenses Pentax made along the years"), they are loosing lots of money.
Other makers sell bodies that force you to buy new lenses. And let's be true, lenses are the big fish to catch, in the eyes of a maker. That's where the big money are.
Pentax on the other hand is selling a few bodies, a couple of lenses, and so many users make use of granpa's glass.

Which is cool, but not very efficient for Pentax.

It is more complex that that. The legacy lenses with their users is Pentax (and others) biggest asset. Pentax may have problem selling an FF camera in sustainable numbers to users of old Pentax glass, but selling the same camera if those lenses didn't exist in the first place would be close to impossible.
In fact, Pentax K-mount lenses and Pentax medium format lenses are popular converted to Nikon and Canon mount to be used on their FF cameras. Many says they are superior to the new FF lenses Canon and Nikon are offering. Theres obviously a market here for Pentax, which they indeed are pursuing with their APS cameras (remember old lenses are popular among those too) and now soon with the 645 Digital.
If they want to sell new lenses they have to make them desireable over old ones by adding functions or simply making lenses that don't exist in older forms. The latter could be zoom lenses; high-end Pentax zoom lenses were rare in the past and if Pentax makes an FF camera something like a 24-70/2.8 will find new buyers....