04-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That deer pic looks really nice to me

04-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
How it is supposed to 'compete' with a lens which isn't even available for K mount.
How does anything compare with anything, then? I assume you had a choice between a few brands and you chose one (maybe two?).

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
The lens isn't without some faults....

[...]

Now be sure to remember this when the first Pentax dog lens appears.......
Nothing is perfect...noting is infallible. We've seen "pro" stuff fail or be faulty from the factory from every brand.

They're electronics with mechanical bits, run by programs, put together by a mix of humans and robots...the humans had a part in all
04-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
The bottom pic doesn't look very sharp to me. I don't see any exif data.
Notice that it's an attachment. pentaxforums attachments always look like crap.
04-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I'll believe it when I see B&H listing it & take orders. It appears they're similarly jaded.
Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 IF ED SDM | Camera-Warehouse
Hope this is close enough for you

04-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
How does anything compare with anything, then? I assume you had a choice between a few brands and you chose one (maybe two?)
The point that I'm really trying to make is that I think for most people, a 70-200 f4 (or similar lens) is probably not the make or break choice between two systems, especially given that you can get third party versions of this type of lens for most systems.

It's for this reason I'm saying it doesn't directly compete with the Canon, or for that matter Nikon's offerings in that area. It *does* compete with Tamron and Sigma's lenses is that range though.

My original reply was probably a bit terse too, I apologise for for that.
04-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #36
Veteran Member

It's no problem...I come off as a-hole-ish most of the time too...the internet just kills any subtleties of communication

To me...the Pentax system already offers "free" "upgrades" like weather sealing and SR and a lens to match would be nice. We still don't have any affordable sealed lenses, but anyway...

IF I were going to replace my FA zoom with something faster in the higher zoom range, I'd like something such as a 70-200 as a lightweight solution to a 300mm (or higher?) prime which is in my upgrade path. Pentax needs to make something for me, someone who won't buy non-Pentax lenses (old ones...different story! ). And then we get the whole "Sigma and Tamron make _____, why doesn't Pentax have one?"...ya know?

(That...and I'm still not 100% ready to dive into APS-C -only lenses. Once again...off topic )...
04-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #37
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Page Quote
Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 IF ED SDM | Camera-Warehouse
Hope this is close enough for you
Lol. It's not actually. As an example of a lens I cared about so had been tracking... In recent times I'd noted some places were taking orders for the Tamron 70-200/2.8 many many months before you could actually expect them to deliver; leading to some uncomfortable discussions w/folks who were jumping up & down as "look, it's available and they say delivery usually within 8 - 10 days" last fall and others like "um, you should know better"; and yep, it was a good many months from when it was 1st on an order page before you could expect to have it in your hands .

...all I was trying to say is B&H appears to be very conservative of late regarding Pentax lenses, & pre-orders. Moreso than other retailers. So I'll use them as my barometer. With fingers crossed, I'll have another look at B&H's site later today or within a few days.

04-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Notice that it's an attachment. pentaxforums attachments always look like crap.
Fine, I will save my bulletd until a real review come up.
04-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

We saw what the 60-250 was capable of last year when a person posted some great shots from a lens he found in the street.
They know we waited a long time for this lens. Most gave up and went for the 70-200 2.8 from other companys and never looked back. I doubt If those people would let you pry that lens from there cold dead hands to get the pentax 60-250.
I would sell my Monsterma and get a 135-400 f4 if it was under 4000.oo in a heartbeat. And I'm sure many other's would like the lens.
04-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
All I can say is there 2 years too late and 500$ over priced. They should have scraped the lens last year and released a DA 135-400 f4.
The amazing delay suggests they have had problems getting it to meet their own expectations.
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #41
Closed Account

Lens and Shutter will be hosting their "Imaging Expo" next weekend (April 18 & 19) in Burnaby, BC Canada. If it is similar to last year, they will have reps from all the majors, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olypus and Pentax. I'm hoping the Pentax reps will have a demo of the 60-250 for us to play with. They usually try to display something new. If they don't have a demo, I'll try to get as much info as possible. Also I'll ask some questions about the price increases.

Lens & Shutter

Last edited by pureluck; 04-11-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling
04-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
The point that I'm really trying to make is that I think for most people, a 70-200 f4 (or similar lens) is probably not the make or break choice between two systems, especially given that you can get third party versions of this type of lens for most systems.

It's for this reason I'm saying it doesn't directly compete with the Canon, or for that matter Nikon's offerings in that area. It *does* compete with Tamron and Sigma's lenses is that range though.

My original reply was probably a bit terse too, I apologise for for that.
There's current exactly two lenses of that type in production. The 70-200 f4L USM and 70-200 f4L IS USM. Every other f4 lens in that range is long out of production (Nikon, Pentax and Minolta 70-210 f4's, Nikon 80-200 f4, Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5, Kiron 70-210 f4) and most aren't even AF. A top-quality fixed aperture compact telezoom is something that is completely lacking in most systems. The only 3rd party options top out at 150mm and are already larger than the two Canons.
04-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #43
Veteran Member

My 80-200mm 2.8 Tokina AT-X is a nice & fast lens

You could add the AT-X Tokina to your list of discontinued pentax mount lenses. They made an autofocus version too. I used to want one, till I added Canon dslr & 70-200mm 2.8 IS to my bag. Hands down the 70-200mm 2.8 IS Canon is the very best lens I've owned covering this zoom range. They say the f4 canon pair betters the 2.8, but I choose the bigger & faster one. I can't imagine how the f4 canon pair could better my f2.8 IS but thats what they say on the internets. I opted for f2.8 and both teleconverters. f2.8 works exceptionally well with both TC's separately or stack'um for manual focus only captures as above f5.6 you loose af function.

That said, I shot with a 60-250mm f4 SDM a few months ago and it hunted and hunted and hunted and... I was not impressed at all. But for some reason pentax likes to show off preproduction lenses so maybe a production sample will be alot better?

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
There's current exactly two lenses of that type in production. The 70-200 f4L USM and 70-200 f4L IS USM. Every other f4 lens in that range is long out of production (Nikon, Pentax and Minolta 70-210 f4's, Nikon 80-200 f4, Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5, Kiron 70-210 f4) and most aren't even AF. A top-quality fixed aperture compact telezoom is something that is completely lacking in most systems. The only 3rd party options top out at 150mm and are already larger than the two Canons.
04-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #44

Prefer DA* 300mm f/4.
04-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
That said, I shot with a 60-250mm f4 SDM a few months ago and it hunted and hunted and hunted and... I was not impressed at all. But for some reason pentax likes to show off preproduction lenses so maybe a production sample will be alot better?
That has been discussed already for months, do you forget things are you just wanna troll, bringing this thing back every two weeks ?