Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Too many gadgets already!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I don't mind add-on gadgets like the Zigview, but keep the camera bodies simple. Too many moving parts, too many buttons, too many battery-sucking circuits and it just becomes a big P&S. Some of us want to concentrate on pure photography without learning how to fly a 747. Leave the gadgetry for the aftermarket.

04-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
They make an eye piece mountable one but last I looked it was like $350US (corrected $399 BUT free shipping )..

Buy one of these at $39.21.

Buy one of these at $3.38.

You'll need one of these at $4.80.

Also something like this at $62.99

and finally a small 12V power source at $69.99

Remove the rubber cup from the eye cup and carefully glue the camera in the plastic. Now connect the wires to the 7 inch LCD panel and your power source. Plug the shutter remote into the camera. So what did we spend, around $180?

Last edited by poco; 04-06-2009 at 07:49 PM.
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If they give us this "articulated viewscreen" and a better, faster "live view" option BEFORE they fix the auto-focus hunting issues, I'm going to smash my Pentax gear with a sledge hammer
04-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
If they give us this "articulated viewscreen" and a better, faster "live view" option BEFORE they fix the auto-focus hunting issues, I'm going to smash my Pentax gear with a sledge hammer
If it does happen, will you kindly video it and post it on YouTube? Please?

Just kidding. I do hope they are able to improve on the AF speed, but I did notice an AF speed gain moving from the K200D to the K20D. It's not much, but it's there. Also, people have testified about the K-m's AF being better than the K20D's, if I'm not mistaken. Here's hoping they finally are able to make big strides in their next camera.

04-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Cool because this lens one is sooo old school
Brian Ayling's photographic repair tips
04-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote

Remove the rubber cup from the eye cup and carefully glue the camera in the plastic. Now connect the wires to the 7 inch LCD panel and your power source. Plug the shutter remote into the camera. So what did we spend, around $180?
Thanks, that shows promise.....
04-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #22
Inactive Account

The GF has it on her 4 year old P&S Canon. If it were to retain a large screen I'd enjoy it. Anytime I have seen it though screen size has been compromized so far.

04-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Cool because this lens one is sooo old school
Brian Ayling's photographic repair tips
An Oldie, but definitely a Goodie!

Articulated viewscreen? Come on guys, let's ask for things that are actually USEFUL.
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Articulated viewscreen? Come on guys, let's ask for things that are actually USEFUL.
Useless for you, useful for some others.

I think most people go egocentric.
04-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Articulated viewscreen goes hand in hand with dslrs that shoot video too.

I'd guess by 2012 every dslr will have & do both:

An articulated viewscreen & shoot video.

Unwanted added features for some and yet these dslrs will cost less new than 2009 cameras do. Especially if camera makers end their participation in the more is always better megapixel race.

04-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knochelbiter Quote
After a careful study of the picture I'm still apathetic about an articulated view screen...

But now I'm considering the purchase of a sash and riding boots...

I can't tell if he's taking pics or trying to spot his falcon.
04-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's two more articulated viewscreen digital interchangeable lens cameras

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/

And this one due out in a couple weeks does shoot HD video also:

Panasonic premieres DMC-GH1 with HD video recording: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I'd guess by 2012 every dslr will have & do both:

An articulated viewscreen & shoot video.

Unwanted added features for some and yet these dslrs will cost less new than 2009 cameras do. Especially if camera makers end their participation in the more is always better megapixel race.
04-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #28

There are some circumstances where shooting high and blind makes an articulated viewscreen a good thing (eg. movie premieres and red carpet events) however I would hate for that to introduce a conspicuous weakness into the unit - weather-sealing and ruggedness trumps convenience if I can't have both!
04-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Articulating screens are very useful and can be well-implemented. The E-3 has a very well-implemented screen, and is still very rugged and sealed. You can also have the LCD face inwards to protect it.

I think we should be open and think as to how useful a feature can be before we start bashing the idea, just like live view. I find the rudimentary live view of the K20D to be extremely useful for my studio/food work.
04-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #30
wll
Veteran Member

Articulating Screen - a MUST

This is one of the reasons I did not purchase the K20D, I'm hoping the next generation Pentax has this type of screen. I will get the next generation Pentax no matter what, but an articulating screen would be the cats meow. My K10D is getting long in the tooth and it is not the best camera for concert shooting.

I shoot catalog, concert and architectural photography and find that cameras that have articulating screens are a huge plus.

It is soooo much easier to shoot low shots and it makes shooting product shots from high places much safer.

This is no gimmick, it is a very, very useful tool.

wll