Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
An articulated screen is also wonderful for shooting macros of short, tiny flowers without sticking your chin into the mud. I have a Canon <gulp> S5 that I use for Macro and Super Macro shooting that way. If the new Pentax had an articulating screen like that together with Pentax's renowned viewfinder I would be first in line to buy one.

04-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An articulated screen is potentially useful *if* you have the live view to keep up with it *and* if it doesn't compromise the primary function of the camera, and probably *if* it doesn't leave you with a smaller LCD to view on or crowding out your shooting controls... or pushing your eye further from the finder via all that stuff in your nose.

*If* they could do that, and maybe put some useful controls on the back of it, could be nice, but I wouldn't cry out for it to be prioritized. Might be handy if you want to turn the thing into a video camera, but, frankly, for overhead shots, better live view and any LCD that can be viewed at wide angles would work just fine. My little old Lumix bridge has that feature. Or you can just learn to point and lean on the shutter like in old days. For stuff like macro, you could make an accessory finder that just plugs in, sits on the hot shoe, could be as big as you like, and have all the bells and whistles, without making the base unit too crazy-expensive or bulky in the wrong ways.
04-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally can take it or leave it, and live view, too.
Not selling points for me, but I can see where people would find it useful.
04-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No Longer a Rumor, Articulated Nikon & 10-24 was just announced

Lots of pixs up and specs too:

Nikon Rumors

Body only USA $730 and lens is $900:

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3923

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
MAN, This is one feature on a camera I want. I've never had an articulated viewscreen camera and I'd enjoy having this feature. Nikon likely officially leaked these considering the numerous view angles I've seen this morning.

I hope Pentax adds an articulated viewscreen to their K20D replacement. It would give me a BIG reason to consider it. Go ahead Pentax add an Articulated viewscreen & put two card slots in K30D and call it PRO-BODY. Seems easier to do than dusting off the 645D to target a few hundred pros, No?

http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dbk_0661.jpg

Taken from:

More spy shots | Nikon Rumors

Taken from this site:

Nikon Rumors

Last edited by Samsungian; 04-13-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added price in USA link
04-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Articulated screens are quite the old thing so I don't understand the hype - Nikon Coolpix had it back in 03/04 if not earlier, so did Canon and a few other brands. Heck, my Sony F717 has a body that twists...

It is a great thing to have for Macro photography, or even when taking pictures of those hard to reach parts inside a car, under the hood, etc. Can it break off? Sure, but so can a slide-switch, compartment door, or other protrusion.

Would I like Pentax to have this as a standard feature, sure. Do I expect them to? Not particularly - do they even have a point and shoot with this feature?
04-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #36
Pentaxian

One thing I noticed (no, not because it is a Nikon) is that this D5000 is bulky as hell.
Probable the screen IMO. I don't mind the screen, but what a bulk !!
04-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Not sure.

I find Live view sometimes useful and would like it to be usable from more angles.
But I would prefer a larger OLED screen. Which can be viewed from most angles and is more useful when you use it to view your images and shoot normaly.
Shooting near ground level shouldn't be a problem with a good viewing angle, something not that great with most screens. The K20D is good in this respect but not excellent.
04-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Articulated screens are quite the old thing so I don't understand the hype - Nikon Coolpix had it back in 03/04 if not earlier, so did Canon and a few other brands. Heck, my Sony F717 has a body that twists...

It is a great thing to have for Macro photography, or even when taking pictures of those hard to reach parts inside a car, under the hood, etc. Can it break off? Sure, but so can a slide-switch, compartment door, or other protrusion.

Would I like Pentax to have this as a standard feature, sure. Do I expect them to? Not particularly - do they even have a point and shoot with this feature?
I have Pentax Optio MX4, a weird gizmo, crossover between 4mp digital camera with 10x zoom, and digital VGA camcorder that will record to SD card. Had it for 4 years at least if not more. It has articulated screen that will rotate full 360 both horizontally and vertically.

Looking at this picture you can tell why I call it weird gizmo.

04-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice! Pentax has made articulated viewscreen camera.

So it is possible for Pentax then. Very Nice.

I am at the point where I won't buy another dslr unless it offers me something I do not have. I have no articulated screen cameras so this appeals to me far more than making the same camera in another color or shinny chrome plastic instead of matte black.

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
I have Pentax Optio MX4, a weird gizmo, crossover between 4mp digital camera with 10x zoom, and digital VGA camcorder that will record to SD card. Had it for 4 years at least if not more. It has articulated screen that will rotate full 360 both horizontally and vertically.

04-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Ah, those were the days. Anyone can get away with, shall we say, "interesting"-looking cameras back then. I know the Sony F717 is one of the cult classics in digital cameras, but I also found the form factor of that Sony curious, or at least it doesn't look like it balances well in the hand.

I haven't seen anyone with an MX4 here, though, only in store displays. How'd it perform?

Last edited by vinzer; 04-14-2009 at 09:29 AM.
04-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Ah, those were the days. Anyone can get away with, shall we say, "interesting"-looking cameras back then. I know the Sony F717 is one of the cult classics in digital cameras, but I also found the form factor of that Sony curious.

I haven't seen anyone with an MX4 here, though, only in store displays. How'd it perform?
Very nicely, its video cpabilities for the time were quite good ad its 10X optical zoom was a rare beast 4 years ago.
My mother has always been very satisfied with it.
04-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Ah, those were the days. Anyone can get away with, shall we say, "interesting"-looking cameras back then. I know the Sony F717 is one of the cult classics in digital cameras, but I also found the form factor of that Sony curious, or at least it doesn't look like it balances well in the hand.

Like almost every Pentax model it was half baked.

Proprietary battery last very short time, although one can use CR-V3 instead.
Focusing in video mode is rather random especially on tele end of 10x zoom.
It will record sound of focusing motor with video, and quite loud too.
Video file format is Quick Time, instead of more common MPEG or AVI.
Auto white balance in useless indoors.

Everything else is OK, I am still surprised how accurate metering is in this inexpensive camera, way better than K10D. And form factor was very small for 10x zoom still + video.
04-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I want an articulated viewscreen, not to actually spin it around to different angles, but just so I can store the screen side in, to protect it.
04-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Very nicely, its video cpabilities for the time were quite good ad its 10X optical zoom was a rare beast 4 years ago.
My mother has always been very satisfied with it.
Like almost every Pentax model it was half baked.

Proprietary battery last very short time, although one can use CR-V3 instead.
Focusing in video mode is rather random especially on tele end of 10x zoom.
It will record sound of focusing motor with video, and quite loud too.
Video file format is Quick Time, instead of more common MPEG or AVI.
Auto white balance in useless indoors.

Everything else is OK, I am still surprised how accurate metering is in this inexpensive camera, way better than K10D. And form factor was very small for 10x zoom still + video.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Though I really couldn't complain much about the foibles with video, since those problems awo425 has mentioned are also present with same-generation video cameras, at least maybe the low-end ones. I still have a Sony Digital8 Handycam at home, and that one also had to be paired with an external microphone so that it won't pick up the tape motor sound (in place of focusing sound). And forget about auto white balance indoors. Apart from the fact that it's wonky indoors, there's not much color fidelity retained when shooting indoors, anyway.

The stills seem to be decent, since both you guys make no negative marks about it, which is good. I have yet to see a video camera that takes very good stills (well, maybe the RED changes that).